Dealing with unresponsive sellers - buying a boat

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
How about this one - although you will have to travel a bit to view boatshed.com/jaguar_25-boat-335527.html

The reality is in that part of the world it is a struggle to find good boats of that size and price without doing a lot of travelling.

I visited that boat and its owner in Stornoway this summer while he was having his gooseneck repaired. It's a fine boat and great value for money and has recently been used for the trip as described in the advert. It should be pretty much ready to go. If it looks suitable hurry down to the Clyde and get it.

Gixer

Visit site
Having sold a load of cars, motorcycles, etc, including a couple of yachts under 5K. I have to say you get the most time wasters looking for yachts.
I think this is due to most people not having a ‘need’ for a yacht but wanting a hobby or lifestyle. Retired people (no offence) are the worst, they even come to view, tell you their life story and then complain about everything that’s not perfect trying to get money off. With out a doubt the most time wasters are found on Facebook marketplace, even EBay is better than FB these days..
I’m not saying the OP is a time waster but it’s really easy for genuine people to get drowned out by people asking, ‘how fast does it go?’.

Sea Change

Visit site
The first time I sold a boat, it was a race rigged Wayfarer (the 1976 Worlds winner, no less!)
Unfortunately the Outer Hebrides was not quite the best marker to sell in to. I remember one old bodach asking me if you could fit a pot hauler 😂

Irish Rover

Visit site
The first time I sold a boat, it was a race rigged Wayfarer (the 1976 Worlds winner, no less!)
Unfortunately the Outer Hebrides was not quite the best marker to sell in to. I remember one old bodach asking me if you could fit a pot hauler 😂
That's a term I haven't heard since I was a boy. I don't think it was a term generally used in Ireland, or at least in the southern part of the island, but it was used by a man in our parish who had spent considerable time in Scotland.

zoidberg

Visit site
How about this one - although you will have to travel a bit to view boatshed.com/jaguar_25-boat-335527.html

The reality is in that part of the world it is a struggle to find good boats of that size and price without doing a lot of travelling.
Agree - that looks to be a good boat in good condition, and at a good price. An excellent find by Tranona....

And if you bought that in the Clyde.... and wanted it brought around to the Tay.... I'd happily do that for you.

Refueler

Visit site
Up your expectations as to what you'll get for 5K imho....there is,without doubt.. more than a few sellers of boats advertised for 6,7 even 8K with expected better kit/condition than a 3ish, maybe 4k boat would have who would be sweating a bit on your offer of 5K on one hand while in the other an impending pile of bills for mooring,crane out,winter storage etc etc awaits their consideration for a boat they no longer want.....worked for me,its a numbers game

That works sometimes ... but often people selling at that price range are unwilling to drop more - they've probably dropped price already !! Often they will be in a corner of yard at discounted fee etc etc ...

No disrespect to OP ... but I think a little more work BEFORE jumping in the car ... ie telephone .... but also take into account that seller may not be selling his latest gizmos with the boat .... to expect to have a 500 - 1000 pound plotter etc. on the boat is a bit optimistic ... most will have an older unit that still works but cannot be updated .. other instruments likely limited to depth and speed ...

A realistic appreciation of the price range ... more communication before driving to view ... more time with Boatshed / Boats for Sale UK etc.

I am not so supportive of Owners Associations for finding a boat ... yes they sell boats in their 'group' but I often see the price is 'ambitious' !!

5K boats ? Pageant, Centaur, Snapdragon, Mirage, Sadler, MacWester, Colvic, ..... plenty out there ... maybe look at one that has sat in yard corner ... got a bit of green mould woodwork ... underneath could be a fine boat just needing an owner to clean her up and make proud.
GRP boats literally go on forever ... unlike wooden - which suffer rotted timbers .... I had a beautiful sleek race winning Saaremaa - won the 2003 Baltic Regatta in Tallinn with her ... BUT Pine on Elm construction ... year after that race - the main keelson - you could bury a knife into the rotten wood. The keelson is the main keel frame running from bow to stern. Luckily the guy who used to crew with me .. his father had sold the boat to me originally - wanted the boat and we agreed hand over ... he then stripped and rebuilt.

zoidberg

Visit site
There are plenty of 'well-aged' elderly but robust GRP boats going for not much money. Sure, it takes a little knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff, but surely the OP can find someone in e.g. the friendly Royal Tay Yacht Club to advise!

Here's another good example:
Lonely Boat

That one is far from Tayside, but is 'cheap as chips' at £2000. Luke Edny, who posted it, is a first-class reliable bloke. His opinion is to be trusted. As is mine....

Erik523

Visit site
> more communication before driving to view
I fully agree!

> No disrespect to OP ... but I think a little more work BEFORE jumping in the car ... ie telephone .... but also take into account that seller may not be selling his latest gizmos with the boat .... to expect to have a 500 - 1000 pound plotter etc. on the boat is a bit optimistic ... most will have an older unit that still works but cannot be updated .. other instruments likely limited to depth and speed ...

What I expect, is a reasonable description of the boat before going to see her. And this is exactly, what I was trying to do. But for some unknown reason people refuse to answer me or if they answer it is a very generic one. I think, they want to hide something. I think, if someone hides something from the beginning or doesn't answer then it means, something is wrong. Yes, perhaps, it is just a broker who doesn't know the real condition of the boat they sell. But why would I like to do 400 miles drive if I don't have basic answers? This is the reason why I created this thread. I just wanted to know, I could improve my communication style. I will try to call people but somehow I have a feeling, it is going to be the same result. I will get served some lies and generic opinions without the truth.

I don't expect fancy navigation equipment. What I expect, is a boat, not a wreckage. She should be able to sail both on motor and her sails. There could be some problems, old gelcoat, bad paint or rigging or sails in the end of their lives but in general she has to be operational. It is not, I would like to pay for the rigging replacement but I understand in the price range there may be some problems soon (but not a week or month after I bought her).

I also bought my copy of the "Inspecting the aging sailboat" ebook by Don Casey. I made some notes and I know what to look for :) Well, perhaps I exaggerated a bit. I don't think than reading this book has made me real surveyor :) While reading it, I was sometimes terrified by the complexity of some problems. But anyway, it is still good to have read it.

> And if you bought that in the Clyde.... and wanted it brought around to the Tay.... I'd happily do that for you.
Thank you very much! I will remember this proposition!

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
What I expect, is a reasonable description of the boat before going to see her. And this is exactly, what I was trying to do. But for some unknown reason people refuse to answer me or if they answer it is a very generic one.
At this price point they may well be able to sell without going to this effort. Unless you are going to pay more, or be a quicker / easier sale then why invest time in answering detailed questions for an overly cautious buyer who is hundreds of miles away.
I think, they want to hide something. I think, if someone hides something from the beginning or doesn't answer then it means, something is wrong. Yes, perhaps, it is just a broker who doesn't know the real condition of the boat they sell. But why would I like to do 400 miles drive if I don't have basic answers? This is the reason why I created this thread. I just wanted to know,
Actually you probably need to go kiss a few frogs before you find your prince so actually travel to see potential boats shouldn't be a major barrier. That will give you experience looking at boats and determining what is a real problem and what you can actually expect for the money. A bigger issue is if you buy an old cheap boat 400 miles away are you ready to sail it home? Both with your experience but also with your confidence in the boat.
I could improve my communication style. I will try to call people but somehow I have a feeling, it is going to be the same result. I will get served some lies and generic opinions without the truth.
It is much harder to lie to a direct verbal question than a written one, or even to simply answer a totally different question. The way you word things, would I be right in saying that whilst fluent in English it is not your first language? That may have issues to consider: 1. your wording is slightly confrontational - that might not be the best way to elicit supportive answers; 2. you may end up being more suspicious of perfectly reasonable answers because they don't answer in the style you are used to; 3. if the buyer thinks your language or questions are not "typical" they may suspect you are a scammer, mentioning you are 400 miles away is an immediate red flag for the "I can't collect this buy 'my agent' will" scams.
I don't expect fancy navigation equipment. What I expect, is a boat, not a wreckage. She should be able to sail both on motor and her sails. There could be some problems, old gelcoat, bad paint or rigging or sails in the end of their lives but in general she has to be operational. It is not, I would like to pay for the rigging replacement but I understand in the price range there may be some problems soon (but not a week or month after I bought her).
You are buying an old cheap boat. There WILL be problems from the moment you hand over cash. Boats are sold "as seen" and no warranties for a week/month. The engine might have been running on your sea trials but fail the day after you collect it; the sails might be fine when you inspect but shred in a strong breeze etc.
I also bought my copy of the "Inspecting the aging sailboat" ebook by Don Casey. I made some notes and I know what to look for :) Well, perhaps I exaggerated a bit. I don't think than reading this book has made me real surveyor :) While reading it, I was sometimes terrified by the complexity of some problems. But anyway, it is still good to have read it.
I've not read Don's book - but I have read surveys. If you are a worrier you will never buy a boat that has been surveyed (and obviously wouldn't buy one without). I expect Don's book will similarly give you a list of concerns for every boat you view. At this price point that is 100% normal. You need to decide if you can afford to live with them - likely they don't all actually need fixing.

To you this may seem like a lot of money and the seller should be much more attentive. In boat terms this is just an inconvenience.

winch2

Visit site
Sorry if I was a tad pessimistic earlier but Ive been down this road recently and it was disappointment recurring. Old cheap GRP boats have a rather tired air to them. For my money as soon as I touch powdery gel coat on the coach roof/cockpit Im done, not to mention rotten gear, spars etc. In the end we spent double to get something agreeable which wasn't going to need endless work. I think the hard lesson I learned is that there is no such thing as cheap boating.. certainly not if you want to own a nice, pleasing cruiser which is welcoming and a joy to behold.

Tranona

Visit site
> more communication before driving to view
I fully agree!

> No disrespect to OP ... but I think a little more work BEFORE jumping in the car ... ie telephone .... but also take into account that seller may not be selling his latest gizmos with the boat .... to expect to have a 500 - 1000 pound plotter etc. on the boat is a bit optimistic ... most will have an older unit that still works but cannot be updated .. other instruments likely limited to depth and speed ...

What I expect, is a reasonable description of the boat before going to see her. And this is exactly, what I was trying to do. But for some unknown reason people refuse to answer me or if they answer it is a very generic one. I think, they want to hide something. I think, if someone hides something from the beginning or doesn't answer then it means, something is wrong. Yes, perhaps, it is just a broker who doesn't know the real condition of the boat they sell. But why would I like to do 400 miles drive if I don't have basic answers? This is the reason why I created this thread. I just wanted to know, I could improve my communication style. I will try to call people but somehow I have a feeling, it is going to be the same result. I will get served some lies and generic opinions without the truth.

> And if you bought that in the Clyde.... and wanted it brought around to the Tay.... I'd happily do that for you.
Thank you very much! I will remember this proposition!

Thank you all for your help!
Getting that easily for under £5k is a real challenge, particularly located where you are which is not prime "old small boat" territory. Boats at this end of the market are for sale mostly because the owner has come to the conclusion it is not worth keeping - looming big expense, change of circumstances, fallen out of love with it etc. Running costs are so high today that they can often exceed the value of the boat in a year. Often sellers won't give a straight answer because they know the boat is rubbish which is why you have to go yourself and make your own judgement. You get the odd boat like the one I linked to earlier which really does look like it is ready to go and is on with a good broker, but that is rare.

TBH you are better off doubling your purchase budget as it vastly increases your chance of getting a boat that meets your expectations. The key figure to look at is not the purchase price but the total cost of getting the boat as you want it where you want it. It really must be local or capable of getting from where it is to where you want it by sea - which means that it must be reliable and seaworthy plus fairly close. Moving a boat by road if you don't have the gear will easily cost half your budget when you include the lifts and mast handling each end.

Erik523

Visit site
I'm very sorry for being confrontational. I didn't want to offend anyone or make him or her uncomfortable!

True, English is not my first language. I'm really trying to understand all the issues here. Perhaps, there are some cultural differences in dealing with buying&selling things. But perhaps, it is me who wants to make a highly logical choice but sailing is emotional and for sellers `my way of doing things` may not work.

Anyway, there is a lot of great advice here! Thanks!

> Often sellers won't give a straight answer because they know the boat is rubbish which is why you have to go yourself and make your own judgement.
True but I've seen a lot of so called project boats in ads: unfinished. Somebody bought them believing they can restore them. So, there is a market for cheap project boats. My point is: properly describing the condition of the boat could increase the chance for her sale.

> 3. if the buyer thinks your language or questions are not "typical" they may suspect you are a scammer, mentioning you are 400 miles away is an immediate red flag for the "I can't collect this buy 'my agent' will" scams.

Yes, that is a problem. There is really a few nice boats, I would like to see on the south coast of England but going there is simpler than going back with the boat... In a perfectly sound boat this would be a little expedition. In a just bought boat, it would be risky and it could be a disaster... :(

P.S. I know, in the English language, `boat` is an acronym: bring out another thousand :)

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
There is really a few nice boats, I would like to see on the south coast of England but going there is simpler than going back with the boat... In a perfectly sound boat this would be a little expedition. In a just bought boat, it would be risky and it could be a disaster... :(
Go and see the one on the Clyde that Tranona linked to before going to the south coast, which would be an expensive place to transport a boat from. It's the only boat in this thread that anyone here has seen & been on - me!

Erik523

Visit site
Yes, I tried. There is a nice Pandora 700 (and a few other boats) in the Burntisland yacht club. But I haven't yet decided to see her (I just saw a few of them from a distance). Like you said: nobody likes time-wasters. Since, I am not sure whether I would like to purchase her, I don't want to waste someone's time. We need to have a respect to each other. But I saw the ad and she is a nice boat.

On the Scottish east coast there is a problem to find a mooring or berth. For example, a person from the Anstruther Harbour told me, there is a 10 years waiting list... :/ The closest place, I have found a mooring is the Burntisland yacht club (but perhaps, I missed a club or 2). But definitely, there is nothing for now near Dundee. There are moorings in Broughty Ferry but from the next Spring.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
Yes, I tried. There is a nice Pandora 700 (and a few other boats) in the Burntisland yacht club. But I haven't yet decided to see her (I just saw a few of them from a distance). Like you said: nobody likes time-wasters. Since, I am not sure whether I would like to purchase her, I don't want to waste someone's time. We need to have a respect to each other. But I saw the ad and she is a nice boat.
The only way you can work that out is to go see her. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to go see a boat you might want to buy. Few people buy the first boat they view so you will always see a few duds first. If someone is not IT literate (and many sellers of these boats will not be) you may waste more of their time asking for photos and detailed descriptions, than just going to see it.
On the Scottish east coast there is a problem to find a mooring or berth. For example, a person from the Anstruther Harbour told me, there is a 10 years waiting list... :/ The closest place, I have found a mooring is the Burntisland yacht club (but perhaps, I missed a club or 2). But definitely, there is nothing for now near Dundee. There are moorings in Broughty Ferry but from the next Spring.
Do you really want to own a small old boat on the East of Scotland in the middle of winter?

If you are literally in Dundee then Burntisland will be about an hours drive. Double that and Loch Lomond, the Clyde become viable. If you really want to be on the North Sea then don’t rule out going north - particularly with a bilge keel (Arbroath?) or Stonehaven for proper marina BUT this would be worst time to buy if you don’t have a plan for winter maintenance / prep.