Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

dancrane

Visit site
On further reflection...

...Greg's determination to engineer, create, design, and fabricate, is all admirable...but it ought to be remunerated with money...

...he ought to be accruing the rewards of his endeavours, applied to other peoples' tired old twelfth-of-never dream-boats...

...then he could spend satisfying sailing days, immediately (or as soon as summer arrives), cruising a boat which needs no work done.

I've spent years admiring the Fisher 25...but if I could afford one, I'd want to give her bilge keels, and move the tiny heads compartment into the forepeak, or back beneath the steering area, just like the yet-to-be-built "Fisher Yachts International" version...

...so if I had one, I'd be immersing myself in work, cost and effort, before my use of my version of the standard boat, could commence.

Life is too short, Greg. Are you an avid boat-builder, or a sailor? This project only makes sense if you are 90% builder, 10% sailor.

How would you set that ratio?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
As a word of encouragement, my CC33 was bought as a hull and deck for home completion. It stood in a guys garden part compleated for 10 years. Another chap bought it, it took him 3 years to complete, sailed it for 3 years, then I bought it in 2000, so now had it 18 years! :encouragement:
The thing that was on his side was that fittings and fixtures were still available from Colvic.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
As a word of encouragement, my CC33 was bought as a hull and deck for home completion. It stood in a guys garden part compleated for 10 years. Another chap bought it, it took him 3 years to complete, sailed it for 3 years, then I bought it.
The thing that was on his side was that fittings and fixtures were still available from Colvic.

This is encouragement for the OP to reconsider the target to complete this year!

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi Greg,
the forum can be a tough place. almost all posts are genuine, even if the advice is not what one wants. I hope you achieve your aims. most things are possible in life if you have the ability and desire. Interestingly I have just done my own spreadsheet on what I think it might cost to restore your boat. some items ive underestimated and some items could be obtained cheaper. I allowed no contingency.
When I added the costs up I was quite surprised that the total was in excess of £20,000 as I wanted to offer support

internal Joinery 1500
electrics/ lighting 500
upholstery 1000
deck gear 1500
winches 1500
stantions 1000
engine 5000
stearn gear 1000
mast and rigging 5000
sails 4000
running rigging 1000
electronics V basic 1000

Of course savings could be made. but my opinion from restoring a boat is the reality are things are bloody expensive. top of the expensive list is marine timber and the cabin needs a huge amount of materials. my budget for this is massively underestimated. nothing for epoxy, paint, varnish, and the rest of the stuff.

Still good luck, I think we all want you t succeed. we might not think it will be possible but your enthusiasm will hopefully prove us all wrong.

Steveeasy

pvb

Visit site
When I added the costs up I was quite surprised that the total was in excess of £20,000 as I wanted to offer support

internal Joinery 1500
electrics/ lighting 500
upholstery 1000
deck gear 1500
winches 1500
stantions 1000
engine 5000
stearn gear 1000
mast and rigging 5000
sails 4000
running rigging 1000
electronics V basic 1000

You missed a few bits...

* yard storage for XX years
* sink/basin/toilet + plumbing and seacocks
* fridge
* headlining and hull lining
* steering pedestal and all associated gear
* bilge pump(s)
* windlass, anchor and chain
* etc etc

steveeasy

Visit site
You missed a few bits...

* fridge
* bilge pump(s)
* etc etc

There lies the problem. But still we may be proved wrong. An opinion is just that. we do not know what the op plans to do to obtain the parts and materials needed to complete the boat, so I for one will follow this with much interest.

Steveeasy

Spyro

Visit site
You missed a few bits...

* fridge
* bilge pump(s)
* etc etc

Mast and rigging for £5000. No chance. Unless second hand. I'm sure I read it was a ketch.

Tranona

Visit site
You missed a few bits...

* fridge
* bilge pump(s)
* etc etc

Fuel tank, water tank, cooker... one could go on.

But, maybe a minimalist approach would just have a rig, an outboard (come back Dylan all is forgiven), hammocks, folding garden chairs, picnic table, primus, multipurpose bucket and tilley lamp.

Only half joking. We see a finished boat through our own eyes and based on our own experience of what a cruising boat is. However, remember the guy who fitted out an old ferro schooner in that sort of way and did indeed cross the Atlantic in it.

If you take that approach and don't even attempt to fit it out in a conventional way, the money budget does start to make sense - even if the time bit is still unreasonable.

Visit site
I’ve been reading this. I wish the OP good fortune with his project. However it’s a bit like if you got a new body for an Austin Allegro … you could spend loads of money on a new engine, wheels etc. And you would sort of have a new car. But it would always be an Austin Allegro.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Hi Greg, good luck on the project, would be interested to know your expected timescale before she is fully completed and on the water ready to sail

I'm saddly still delayed and waiting for an answer that can take till the end of this month as she needs to be moved and lifted but I can't do that untill the end of April as there are a ton of boat to move out of the way. 20 years aboandoned and they go and stick it in a corner.. go figure

GregOddity

Visit site
On further reflection...

...Greg's determination to engineer, create, design, and fabricate, is all admirable...but it ought to be remunerated with money...

...he ought to be accruing the rewards of his endeavours, applied to other peoples' tired old twelfth-of-never dream-boats...

...then he could spend satisfying sailing days, immediately (or as soon as summer arrives), cruising a boat which needs no work done.

I've spent years admiring the Fisher 25...but if I could afford one, I'd want to give her bilge keels, and move the tiny heads compartment into the forepeak, or back beneath the steering area, just like the yet-to-be-built "Fisher Yachts International" version...

...so if I had one, I'd be immersing myself in work, cost and effort, before my use of my version of the standard boat, could commence.

Life is too short, Greg. Are you an avid boat-builder, or a sailor? This project only makes sense if you are 90% builder, 10% sailor.

How would you set that ratio?

Well, its a good question. Im guessing I'm good at both and enjoy both.

GregOddity

Visit site
Hi Greg,
the forum can be a tough place. almost all posts are genuine, even if the advice is not what one wants. I hope you achieve your aims. most things are possible in life if you have the ability and desire. Interestingly I have just done my own spreadsheet on what I think it might cost to restore your boat. some items ive underestimated and some items could be obtained cheaper. I allowed no contingency.

internal Joinery 1500
electrics/ lighting 500
upholstery 1000
deck gear 1500
winches 1500
stantions 1000
engine 5000
stearn gear 1000
mast and rigging 5000
sails 4000
running rigging 1000
electronics V basic 1000

Of course savings could be made. but my opinion from restoring a boat is the reality are things are bloody expensive. top of the expensive list is marine timber and the cabin needs a huge amount of materials. my budget for this is massively underestimated. nothing for epoxy, paint, varnish, and the rest of the stuff.

Still good luck, I think we all want you t succeed. we might not think it will be possible but your enthusiasm will hopefully prove us all wrong.

Steveeasy

Its a pretty good calc. can't fault it. But were gonna try to beat it.

Little Dorrit

Visit site
Good Luck but If things don't go how you expect:

Focus on your body and breathe
Remember, this does not have to define you
Find emotional support from friends
Get a massage
Take a walk
Get five hugs a day from someone who loves you
Spend time with your pet
Sit and watch the stars at night

GregOddity

Visit site
I’ve been reading this. I wish the OP good fortune with his project. However it’s a bit like if you got a new body for an Austin Allegro … you could spend loads of money on a new engine, wheels etc. And you would sort of have a new car. But it would always be an Austin Allegro.

I had that same argument with myself. But the fact remains that she is not going to look like any other Countess. In many things she will be deemed "interesting" (to say the least)