Basking Shark pics

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Just been sorting through my photos.
There were lots of Basking Sharks in the south west last summer. I saw many but none as big as this one off Looe the year before.I reckon it was getting on for being as long as my boat, 30ft.

BS1.jpg

BS2.jpg

BS3.jpg

BS4.jpg

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I just love the way the dorsal fins bend over under their own weight. Was out in Kilbrannan Sound around '79-'80 in a Heron dinghy with the kids (aged about 3 & 7 years) when we saw one. I started to sail over to it, to let them get a good look. Then I realised just how big they are. Like you say it was 15' from dorsal to tail, so that's about 30' overall. A Heron is about 11'6", so I came about & slipped away in case it sneezed & left us all swimming 1/2 mile offshore!

Kids still remember the experience tho' - awe inspiring beasts (no, the shark not the kids).

CalmSkipper

Visit site
There was a radio 4 prog recently about lots of different sharks in UK waters including some off IOW - Not aparently as big as that though - more like 12-14 ft. Has anyone seen any off IOW?

Bajansailor

Visit site
Re: Basking Shark (and gaff cutter) pics

Ace photos of the basking sharks - and of a very fine gaff cutter as well! Can we have another photo of her from the beam please?

I do like those substantial bulwarks - although they do not have stanchions and lifelines above, I would always have a lot more faith in them keeping me on board than (say) stanchions & lifelines and no bulwarks.

FWB

N/A
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Ace photos of the basking sharks - and of a very fine gaff cutter as well! Can we have another photo of her from the beam please?

I do like those substantial bulwarks - although they do not have stanchions and lifelines above, I would always have a lot more faith in them keeping me on board than (say) stanchions & lifelines and no bulwarks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not wishing to start thread drift but here she is...

AEOLUS-3.jpg

graham

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Well, not wishing to start thread drift but here she is...

[/ QUOTE ]

what a beauty. What is she?

FWB

N/A
Visit site

Yes she is a Heard 28 completed in 2002. Grp hull the rest is teak. The mould was taken from a Falmouth Working boat or Oyster Dredger. Lots of photos of the Martin Heard fleet here .

FWB

N/A
Visit site

I now understand how well endowed women sometimes feel........I'm trying to have a conversation about Basking Sharks but people keep staring at my bulwarks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Sharks but people keep staring at my bulwarks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Im more of a Transom man myself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

old_salt

Visit site
Thanks for sharing with us your photos and lovely yacht I remember once crossing the bristol channel just off lundy a huge black and white whale cutting off from others 4 or 5 in all and came over to take a look at us we where bringing a new Sigma 362 with a wing keel home to Hollyhead and we all just sat very quite and gently proceeded on our way tyring our best not to do anything silly he/she came within about 30/40 ft off us and was easily as long as 30ft. Absolutely fantastic but scary at the same time. I have printed your photos and thank you again for the pleasure of them. Cheers David.

Sixpence

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Lovely boat.........
some people just can't help being jealous

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep , put me on that list , lovely boat