Anodes

Seastoke

Visit site
Ok my two anodes under the stern one each side , one was half eaten away after a year And one disappeared . Why would all this happen

Binnacle

Visit site
Oh dear me. That's what anodes are designed to do when there is electrolysis. So the answer to your question is "electrolysis".

A prudent man would now look for evidence of galvanic corrosion on other parts of the boat in case the components fail and cause the boat to sink.

Seastoke

Visit site
Oh dear me. That's what anodes are designed to do when there is electrolysis. So the answer to your question is "electrolysis".

A prudent man would now look for evidence of galvanic corrosion on other parts of the boat in case the components fail and cause the boat to sink.
What’s prudent.

Momac

Visit site
A year does seem quite short life for an anode to last
Perhaps the boat normally moored next door to you hasn't had its anodes checked in a long while and has been consuming your anodes.

Seastoke

Visit site
A year does seem quite short life for an anode to last
Perhaps the boat normally moored next door to you hasn't had its anodes checked in a long while and has been consuming your anodes.
It’s time for multi meter, me thinks

Bandit

Visit site
Start at the beginning , it has failed due to electrolysis due to a connectivity problem, corroded terminals or slat water on wiring, an electrical problem with boat or pontoon electrics or another problem on a near by boat.
As said above inspect for connectivity and condition of all metal fittings underwater. For berth, pontoon electrics and other boats you probably need to use an experienced marine electrician.

Fire99

Visit site
This is interesting (and hopefully not veering off track) as my boat is at Bangor (Northern Ireland) and my anodes are in prettty bad shape after a year.. I've fitted a built in galvanic isolator and electrically tested the boat and no problems found. When she was out on the hard a local electronics guy had a look over her and confirmed there wasn't an issue on the boat....and I'm not alone. A fair number of boats at Bangor have suffered fast anode depletion but the marina are adamant there are no issues..

kashurst

Visit site
one being half eaten sounds normal ish - but ask other boats in the marina/area how they get on.
One disapeared completely - they can come undone! It might just have not been fitted correctly and it just fell off at some point.

Bandit

Visit site
You can get a good electrician the check your boat on its berth, it could be a problem with the pontoon electrics or a near by boat. A well sized anode should last a season loose about 40% of it’ Zinc and be replaced then.

Start with the basics check connectivity and all items as well as internal wiring.

Seastoke

Visit site
one being half eaten sounds normal ish - but ask other boats in the marina/area how they get on.
One disapeared completely - they can come undone! It might just have not been fitted correctly and it just fell off at some point.
The anode bolts on the bad side had corroded off , I am going to replace all connections at the stern then check resistance , between each one , is there any thing else I can do.

Seastoke

Visit site
Are you sure they aren't aluminium anodes?
Galvanised bolts , and zinc anodes, I think you are onto something as the connections on the anode were poor , so I have some multi strand 10 MM cable to renew which will be with the more robust crimps .

Rappey

Visit site
. A fair number of boats at Bangor have suffered fast anode depletion but the marina are adamant there are no issues..
This happened in another marina too. Someones saildrive fizzed away and others had a rapid depletion of their anodes.
Quite often the boat owner swears blind their boat is perfect so it must be the marinas electrical instalation.
The marina contracted mcduff to test the marina side of things and there was not one fault.

BruceK

Visit site
Roy. I was speaking to Mr G, and we are in agreement. Salt water conduct electricity and you should start off by pumping out that free ballast you keep in the bilge.
(y)