Fairline Corniche Props (Shaft Drive)

Darren34

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have the spec for props on a Fairline Corniche from standard on shaft drives (twin TAMD41B's)? Or even a picture of their prop markings on a Corniche? Recently purchased this boat but she is running a touch low in speed which I believe is the props (clean hull and engine at rpm), one looks as if it has been eaten away and has chunks missing from blade edge. The boat is in the water and I'd prefer to get a couple of props before lifting her out.

Next question is has anyone changed for non original spec'd props on a Corniche and seen a gain in performance/economy?

Thanks in advance.

Darren34

Visit site
Did you buy it off the Thames a few months ago as one of my earlier Corniches sold from there ; from memory prop size 4 blade 22x24

Thanks, no it's from Southampton area. If anyone can confirm the prop size I'd be very grateful, especially the shaft diameter and taper.

Seastoke

Visit site
I don’t think you can just buy props , if you go on firline face book maybe find original prop suplier.

bowler

Visit site
I have a Corniche and the factory drops are 22x26 3 blade on my build sheet if I remeber correctly. There is a group of owners over on FB. Someone replaced props recently and could advise on taper etc.

Zum Anzeigen anmelden oder registrieren

What sort of speeds and rpms do you see? I am also a little below rated max rpm but people who know more than me suggested it might just be down to the age of the engines. Boat is an 89 vintage.

Ps. I have no idea why that link didn't paste in English.

Darren34

Visit site
I have a Corniche and the factory drops are 22x26 3 blade on my build sheet if I remeber correctly. There is a group of owners over on FB. Someone replaced props recently and could advise on taper etc.

Zum Anzeigen anmelden oder registrieren

What sort of speeds and rpms do you see? I am also a little below rated max rpm but people who know more than me suggested it might just be down to the age of the engines. Boat is an 89 vintage.

Ps. I have no idea why that link didn't paste in English.
Cheers for that, I’ve joined the group just waiting on approval.

She’s doing 3800rpm but only making 21kts in sheltered water. 1991 Corniche with TAMD41B’s, recently rebuilt, and clean bottom. Props are quite heavily fouled and one corroded badly. Reason for asking about stock props is that she has 4 blade props and not sure if they are originals.

bowler

Visit site
Should do a bit more than that flat out. No doubt the props aren't helping. Castle Marine in Wales can sort your props or provide new. Good people!

oldgit

Visit site
To be cruelly honest if you can achieve 3800 rpm on both engines its about right for those 41 engines and size and pitch are probably correct.
Removing and taking to a decent prop shop they will quickly tell you size and pitch as well as taper.
Shaft probably 1.5" .
Does altering the trim tabs make much difference.
Full fuel and water tanks could add a ton and it will make a difference, even a slight chop will affect top speed.
21 knots with or against tide ?
Curiously every other skippers boat always seems to be faster than mine.
How many stories would you like about skippers spending £KK on swapping 3 for 4 blade and vise versa in vain attempt to gain another 2 knots.
Have pair of 20" x 25 P three blade props in my garage (1:10 taper) lying unloved in my garage, a direct result of skipper (not me this time) spending a fortune on prop blade swapping and gaining nothing other than a big hole in his bank account.
If you are in the South East this lot are well worth contacting, they have resurrected props that other repairers have stated are beyond saving.
Invicta Marine | Propulsion | Propellers | Thrusters
They mainly repair tug and commercial stuff, last time was in there they had a collection of propellers from the Uber Thames Clipper fleet awaiting not so much repair but rebuilding.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Cheers for that, I’ve joined the group just waiting on approval.

She’s doing 3800rpm but only making 21kts in sheltered water. 1991 Corniche with TAMD41B’s, recently rebuilt, and clean bottom. Props are quite heavily fouled and one corroded badly. Reason for asking about stock props is that she has 4 blade props and not sure if they are originals.
I used to get 30 knots from mine at 3900 so there’s something wrong with gearbox ratio or prop size

oldgit

Visit site
Helped bring back a Corniche from Dover with pair of 41B while ago, one of the crash clunk gearboxes had been replaced with a hydraulic gearbox but they had obviously not bothered to alter the pitch on that prop to to compensate for the different ratios.
It struggled to do 19 knots and left a detectable haze of unburnt diesel from engine with new gearbox stretching out to the horizon.
An engine did conk out just off off Ramsgate and all filters had to be changed.
Did not have the bottle to go to WOT with the boat on the the final leg home.

Last edited:

Darren34

Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone, some useful stuff to keep in mind. I got the spec, for anyone else that ends up searching for this info … Corniche standard spec was 3 blade prop 22” x 26” to fit 1.5” shaft with 1:12 taper (TAMD41B engines). Later model Corniche’s were fitted with 4 blade props.