6hp Outboard - something good please.

chris-s

Visit site
We have a 3D UL250 'rib' tender, this has an aluminium floor so a bit like a baby-rib, only weighs 25kg and is rated for upto 8hp. Its main use is as a tender out to our swing mooring (~ 200-300m depending on tide) on the Fal river, its stored onshore in a dinghy rack, occasionally towed behind us if we aren't going far (max falmouth to helford) and occasionally used for trips up/down the Fal. When we bought it a few years ago we already had a new Mariner 3.5 tender outboard which generally does us fine (albeit not the easiest to start, sometimes just an absolute pig despite lots of servicing/attention/carb cleaning/running carb dry/super-unleaded/fresh fuel/clean filters/carb adjustment), but sometimes we would like a bit more grunt to go a little further and still get back before dark and something that the wife can confidently start.

Originally we were looking at older Yamaha 6 to 8hp two strokes (lightweight, reliable and IME easy to start) and had considered just using our old Yam 5hp two stroke, but its a long shaft, and despite firing up on the third pull after being sat in the garage for four years, with the amount of oily scum it left in the barrel after a half hour run, I'm not sure I could bring myself to use it long term (says he with ablative antifoul and dirty diesel van).

And so it looks like I'm just going to go for a new 6hp fourstroke, but they are so heavy (current Mariner 3.5 is 17kg) . On the shortlist are Suzuki (because it is only 24kg), Yamaha and Honda, the latter two weighing in at around 27kg. I guess the 3kg difference doesn't really amount to much and unloading the dinghy before pulling it up the beach (on its trolley) would easily negate the extra overall weight gain.

Is there a general consensus over which of these three is the better engine/better choice, or is it (as is so often the case) that there are good/bad experiences of all engines?

Before anyone suggests it, right now, electric is not an option (budget, performance, charging) for this use case (but it might be for another).

Thanks

Chris

VicS

Visit site
I'd expect any two stroke to produce an oily scum if run in barrel for 1/2 hour with no significant load after being sat inthe garage for several years
Give it some fresh 50:1, with TCW3 oil, clamp it on the dinghy and give it a good run at WOT.
BUT I would not use a long shaft engine on a small inflatable or RIB.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Shame that the Yam 5HP 2T is a long shaft.

24kg and 26kg is still very heavy . I have a Mariner 2T 4HP which is around 20kg for dinghy work which is ok but I wouldn't want anything heavier. Has nice power too.

Am not really answering your question , but a new Outboard that you are suggesting will cost a lot of money and not sure you could live with it. Is there anyone in your club who could possibly borrow something similar so you could try it out ?

Last edited:

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
I have a Mariner 6HP 4 stroke for my Zodiac 2.85m, it planes easily one up at around 15 knots, very stable, 2 up it will not. The 8HP is 10KG heavier so nt an option. The only trouble is terrible reliability due to fuel issues. I acquired 2 2HP Yam strokes, which start pirst pull and can be litted with one arm (I also have a reliable Malta), guess which one we used last weekend:)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
And so it looks like I'm just going to go for a new 6hp fourstroke, but they are so heavy (current Mariner 3.5 is 17kg) . On the shortlist are Suzuki (because it is only 24kg), Yamaha and Honda, the latter two weighing in at around 27kg.
Is there a general consensus over which of these three is the better engine/better choice, or is it (as is so often the case) that there are good/bad experiences of all engines?

We made the mistake of buying a Suzuki DF6 and would not buy another at any price. Prop bushes were weak and failed twice without grounding, the fuel filler cap internals rusted away and the paint started to fall off the engine just after the 2 year warranty expired, no sign of a primer. Suzuki weren't interested in sorting it.

Attachments

• Dsc_0755a.jpg
    Dsc_0755a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 20

V1701

Visit site
How about putting swap ads out for the long shaft that you have already, see if anyone has an equivalent short shaft but wants a long?

Medic

Visit site
I had a 6HP 4 stroke Yamaha to replace a defunct 5HP 2-stroke. Was very happy with both on a Zodiac 2.85m.

When the 6HP was stolen (from home, not the boat) I thought long and hard about how I used the dinghy, weight and ease of use for children. In the end I opted for an electric outboard rather than petrol and, three seasons in, haven't regretted the change at all. It is true that I can no longer plane, but then I rarely (arguably never) really needed to go anywhere that fast. The ease of use of the electric outboard is outstanding, the children don't have to fight to start a heavy 4 stroke, it can be stored below when not on the boat as no oil or petrol, and the joy of quiet dinghy rides is hard to give up on once experienced.

Just a thought.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The ease of use of the electric outboard is outstanding, the children don't have to fight to start a heavy 4 stroke, it can be stored below when not on the boat as no oil or petrol, and the joy of quiet dinghy rides is hard to give up on once experienced.

Much depends on use of tender, ours is used for about half the year as daily transport regardless of weather and being able to plane is a much drier ride than with small slow engine. For those with just occasional fine weather use when dinghies spend most of the year in a locker, smaller engine is easier to handle.

chris-s

Visit site
I had a 6HP 4 stroke Yamaha to replace a defunct 5HP 2-stroke. Was very happy with both on a Zodiac 2.85m.

When the 6HP was stolen (from home, not the boat) I thought long and hard about how I used the dinghy, weight and ease of use for children. In the end I opted for an electric outboard rather than petrol and, three seasons in, haven't regretted the change at all. It is true that I can no longer plane, but then I rarely (arguably never) really needed to go anywhere that fast. The ease of use of the electric outboard is outstanding, the children don't have to fight to start a heavy 4 stroke, it can be stored below when not on the boat as no oil or petrol, and the joy of quiet dinghy rides is hard to give up on once experienced.

Just a thought.

We have been having the same thoughts actually, and it is all about use cases. Its just a summer season, albeit every weekend at least, but 90% of the time is just shore to mooring and back, a couple of hundred meters in sheltered waters, and with all the other boats, swimmers, paddle boarders etc no chance of planing! We don't go away for more than a week at a time, rarely more than 25 miles from home. When we do go off without the main tender, we take a little roll up one which electric would suit or we may keep the little Yam 2B if we expected to run out of charge, then replace the other two engines (Mariner 3.5 Yam 5 2S LS) with something for when we want to 'play'.

jwfrary

Visit site
I can vouch for a yamaha 8hp, gear change on the front which makes things easier, but heavier, but a 6 is heavy already anyway.

dk

Visit site
Surely you wouldn’t need more than 4hp for a 2.5m dinghy? I had a Yamaha 4hp on mine and I could still plane if I moved my weight forward.