The Forum Burgee.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
You want to push the price up even more? :) :p

I want to see as many people as possible flying the thing. The design is available - if anyone is able to arrange a better deal for a decent quality burgee then I'd be delighted to send them a copy. But carping from the sidelines while actually doing nothing is not helpful.

Pete

AFAIK the original is still available, just need some one near Rossendale to collect them and pay the man. I've lost his phone number.

BrendanS

Visit site
You want to push the price up even more? :) :p

I want to see as many people as possible flying the thing. The design is available - if anyone is able to arrange a better deal for a decent quality burgee then I'd be delighted to send them a copy. But carping from the sidelines while actually doing nothing is not helpful.

Pete

This forum has changed so much. It used to be great fun, and having fun used to be encouraged, not called carping. Boatone gave the design freely and has never invoked any copyright issues.

oGaryo

Visit site
This forum has changed so much. It used to be great fun, and having fun used to be encouraged.

Maybe down to the long standing members bemoaning the newer members that are trying to do right by the forum ? :)

Pete, I for one appreciate your time and effort for putting in place an alternative means of getting a forum burgee when obtaining a replacement via Haydn became no more.

lisilou

Visit site
I love this forum and have met some really great people via it. The help and advice I get on here is invaluable but above all, I love the banter (even when that banter sometimes gets lost in translation).
I'd miss it for sure if it weren't around.
L
:)

DannyB

Visit site
I've still got my original, and it will be flying proudly as I make my way up the Clyde in a weeks time as part of the Commonwealth flotilla.

gravygraham

Visit site
Flying my burgee just got me a borrowed plug adaptor from Johnwest. The keen eyed fellow forumite spotted my blue and yellow waver flying on the transom, and stopped by for a chat. Thanks John.

Liz_I

Visit site
Still flying ours ! :D Although not in the traditional way!

P7170396_zps35ea929b.jpg

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I don't have a burgee, did try last time some were offered but I missed out !

However that doesn't stop me from posting on here and I have made contact with lots of people from the forum socially. We've had some great times.

I wasn't here when the forum started, I doesn't make me a bad person though and I don't feel it lessens my ability to post or the value of what I post.

Every now and again people come along moaning that the forum is rubbish now, not like the good old days. Well all I can say is it must have been astonishing because I think it's pretty good today. Questions get answered, we tag along on people's cruises - tell me Scubaman's recent photos aren't fantastic.

People have revived old photographic hobbies, learned to make videos, bought flown and crashed helicopters, we've witnessed the birth of boats, the refurbishment of boats, the sinking of boats, been given pointers on where to go, been warned about possible dangers, picked brains, laughed, eaten, drunk and above of laughed together.

Do people fall out? Possibly, although I can't think of anyone I've particularly had a run in with, but then my glass is half full.

I would like it if forum burgees were available on line and dare I say it possibly time for a re-design. I've never been overly enamoured with the current design. Most people who come up and say hello don't need a burgee, they know me because of the boat and because I don't hide behind an anonymous handle. But I would like to make it easier to say hello. The worst post I ever see on here is "you should have come over and said hello" or "I was there, a shame I didn't know who you are in the flesh".

All in my humble opinion of course.

Henry :)

AAF

Visit site
Mine is currently lying on my desk, which is where it has been since purchased last year.

Second I acquired a boat (4 weeks ago tomorrow)....

This week I found a small pulpit flag pole for flying it (I'm hoping it acts as a bow wind indicator there) for just under £10.00. That seemed quite expensive and then they wanted the same again for shipping.

So gone back to looking (for the moment anyway)....

Where do people fly their flag?

I am hoping mine will attract forum visitors.

I have found the forum very useful for advice and sourcing products and would like to see it continue. One day soon with the help of the flag it will make me some new friends too....

Al

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If you use your boat name as your forum handle & make a few "controversial" posts, everyone will know who you are & many will come across to chat.

That's how I first met Haydn. You will need a decent sized fun box tho.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I would like it if forum burgees were available on line and dare I say it possibly time for a re-design. I've never been overly enamoured with the current design.All in my humble opinion of course.

I've never been to keen on the Union Jack, but not suggesting that it should be changed. Just how many friends would we have, if each country kept redesigning there National flag. It' a daft idea.

The burgee symbolises the internet and friendship. It has nothing to do with MBY. The reason for this is, that in the earlier years there was competition from a number of sites, so we would take our flag to where ever we ended up.

oGaryo

Visit site
If you use your boat name as your forum handle & make a few "controversial" posts, everyone will know who you are & many will come across to chat.

It's a little known fact that Searush is my dad.

Kindest regards Gary, ogaryo owner of Bizzy Bee, come and say hello :)

jac

Visit site
I don't have a burgee, did try last time some were offered but I missed out !

However that doesn't stop me from posting on here and I have made contact with lots of people from the forum socially. We've had some great times.

I wasn't here when the forum started, I doesn't make me a bad person though and I don't feel it lessens my ability to post or the value of what I post.

Every now and again people come along moaning that the forum is rubbish now, not like the good old days. Well all I can say is it must have been astonishing because I think it's pretty good today. Questions get answered, we tag along on people's cruises - tell me Scubaman's recent photos aren't fantastic.

People have revived old photographic hobbies, learned to make videos, bought flown and crashed helicopters, we've witnessed the birth of boats, the refurbishment of boats, the sinking of boats, been given pointers on where to go, been warned about possible dangers, picked brains, laughed, eaten, drunk and above of laughed together.

Do people fall out? Possibly, although I can't think of anyone I've particularly had a run in with, but then my glass is half full.

I would like it if forum burgees were available on line and dare I say it possibly time for a re-design. I've never been overly enamoured with the current design. Most people who come up and say hello don't need a burgee, they know me because of the boat and because I don't hide behind an anonymous handle. But I would like to make it easier to say hello. The worst post I ever see on here is "you should have come over and said hello" or "I was there, a shame I didn't know who you are in the flesh".

All in my humble opinion of course.

I think this the place you need - ask for the 'mouse'

Ensign Flag Co. Ltd.
42 Dunes Way
Wellington,
Employment Park
South Liverpool
L5 9RJ

Tel +44 (0)151 298 1007
Fax +44 (0)151 298 1006
Email enquiries@ensignflags.com

Does that work for you Henry?

AAF

Visit site

Great handle idea, thank you. I need to rename her first though.

Right now the MCGA have refused to register the change of title (she is Part1 registered so I decided to continue that) as the Bill of Sale form used by the seller is the "old" one and the MCGA are insisting on the "new" one.

As far as I can see it contains the same data in a slightly different layout.

Sorry for the thread drift but if anyone else is about to use that form make sure it's the new one.

Back on track.... Anyone use a small pulpit flag pole to fly the burgee? If so, where did you get it / make it?

hlb

RIP
Visit site

You first met me when I chased up to your arse at twenty odd knots, but you never noticed. I had to put my foot on the brakes.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
henryf;4844161I would like it if forum burgees were available on line Henry :)[/QUOTE said:
Henry, you miss the whole point of the burgee. The burgee was never meant to be a business.

It was about the coming together of friends. That means, you all have to put a bit of effort in, that was the only way to tell

who could get off their arse and join in. Pressing a button on your keyboard does not make you a member of anything.

It was not me that made the rules, it was TCM and very sensible too, else I would have been doing all the work, for your free ride. So you got nothing. It was never designed as a fashion statement.

The design was chosen from a few submitted, most of the other ones were just not practicable for embroidery.

Should I have waited for 100% agreement? no it would never have happened. Yes your burgee may be a bit quirky, but it is yours.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Does that work for you Henry?

Thanks for that.

The last I heard someone had a batch of burgees made and they all sold out very quickly. I shall try your contact.

Re: the change of design I don't want to belittle anyone or undermine anyone's efforts - provided for free, but times change and sometimes a bit of a re-brand is in order. I'm not sure I see the design as being quite as sacrosanct as a union flag or emblem.

The relationship with IPC media and the associated magazines is there whether we like it or not and they do provide the finances for all this to work. Ultimately you could argue we all "own" the forum as it is created by and kept alive by all our collective posts. Forums are one of the purest examples of the internet working as intended.

I champion the forum to people I meet not through any desire for monetary gain but because it's a great forum. Should getting a burgee be some sort of arduous right of passage test? No I don't think it should. If you want to show your support for the forum it should be as easy as possible. A simple on line purchase would be great.

Anyway, thanks for the contact, I shall get in touch and until an alternative exists fly it.