Steel boat build - Almarine 1200fa

Mr Googler

Visit site
Well don’t dock Annie next to the Sunseeker...us plastic boat owners hate it when a steel boat parks next to us...our anodes fizz away and the slightest bump and our gel coat crumbles...
Sealine owners are well use to that sorting of thing without the need for stray current or contact of any kind

Dino

Visit site
Great job John. She looks amazing. The standard of finish is incredible.
Sorry for letting the cat out of the bag. I follow South West on Facebook and I recognised it immediately.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
I bet your garden looks empty!

congratulations….a big undertaking.

You have built something weighing 16 tons! You should be very proud of your achievement!

It‘s very strange to see the boat shed empty now!

It was also very strange being on the boat at Conwy - like, when standing on the fly bridge looking at the foredeck area, I recognise the boat - but it’s in a very strange environment!

Looking at the garden at present, it looks like a bomb site ?

Ribtecer

Visit site
If you didn't know the precise weight, how did you know where to put the waterline when antifoaling?

Fabulous achievement, I too very much look forward to seeing her launched.

Massive congratulations.

Elessar

Visit site
If you didn't know the precise weight, how did you know where to put the waterline when antifoaling?

Fabulous achievement, I too very much look forward to seeing her launched.

Massive congratulations.
I’ll bet a virtual ? the antifoul line will need to move next time she’s out.
When I used to Coppercoat new boats I’d launch them for an hour to mark the waterline. Even for production boats. They are all slightly different.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
I’ll bet a virtual ? the antifoul line will need to move next time she’s out.
When I used to Coppercoat new boats I’d launch them for an hour to mark the waterline. Even for production boats. They are all slightly different.

That‘s very likely!

The boat sat in the build cradle level and by that, I mean that the floor in the three sections of the boat was level fore and aft and athwartships. I did have to jack up the cradle on the starboard side at one point by about 20mm as the base had settled a bit into the ground. Being level meant that I could use a laser level to create the waterline. The actual position is based on photos of other boats and designer‘s drawings. As you rightly say, I won’t know how good the assumptions are until the boat is actually launched. Which is when I will also find out what the fore/aft and port/starboard trim is like too. I’m prepared for some trim ballast if required.

Now that I know the actual weight, with allowances for tank contents and remaining loose stuff to be loaded, I intend to contact the now retired designer to see if he is able to provide a reference dimension prior to launch.

Boathook

Visit site
Thank you and no problem at all ?
Well done John.
A very interesting thread. I'm envious of the quality of workmanship that has be done over the years. It's only something that I can dream of for my boat.
I will be interested to read how it 'performs' and maybe any changes if you did another one (possibly unlikely) from scratch.
All boats are a compromise as far as I can see.

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Well done John.
A very interesting thread. I'm envious of the quality of workmanship that has be done over the years. It's only something that I can dream of for my boat.
I will be interested to read how it 'performs' and maybe any changes if you did another one (possibly unlikely) from scratch.
All boats are a compromise as far as I can see.

Thank you.
With the build being carried out over such a long time, there is always the danger that you do something which then having so much time afterwards to think about it further, you wish you had done something different!
I‘M thinking that there is definitely only one steel boat build project in me !??
Yes, two big issues driving compromise are available finance and the available space within the boat! There are others too.

As much as I think now that I have got things reasonably right (for me) there are very likely things that will come to light during use that will paint a different picture I’m sure!

Bouba

Visit site
Thank you.
With the build being carried out over such a long time, there is always the danger that you do something which then having so much time afterwards to think about it further, you wish you had done something different!
I‘M thinking that there is definitely only one steel boat build project in me !??
Yes, two big issues driving compromise are available finance and the available space within the boat! There are others too.

As much as I think now that I have got things reasonably right (for me) there are very likely things that will come to light during use that will paint a different picture I’m sure!
All boats have problems...I expect Annie to be perfect....now that you have proved that you are a better boat builder than us, it’s time to see if you are a better boater??

JOHNPEET

Visit site
The race is on Google or John. First in the water.
Unfortunately, my launch date is now somewhat in the hands of others!

Apart from the travel hoist at Conwy now being out of service for maintenance for two weeks, my elusive through hull transducer which I ordered in February, won’t be in my possession until around July 21st at best!

JOHNPEET

Visit site
All boats have problems...I expect Annie to be perfect....now that you have proved that you are a better boat builder than us, it’s time to see if you are a better boater??

Just so that I fully understand the rules on this - are we measuring “better boater”, in or out of the water? ?