Steel boat build - Almarine 1200fa

Graham Jolliffe

Visit site
Thanks for your reply john, it's great to hear from you. I bought 'Ocean Legacy' from Alan when I think he started finding it a little too hard to continue for health reasons. His engineering skills were first absolutely first rate and I have tried really (really) hard to maintain the high standards he set. The engineering is all pretty much done with the exception of the rear en-suite and shower-room, the Radar Arch and cockpit tent. Then, the plan is then to start on the 'tidying' - eg, tidy up the wiring, re-varnish the inside - then finally (and this is the comfy bit), the cushions! When all of that's done, it's back to re-paint the outside.

As you can guess, it's been a significant commitment - I've averaged the same 20 hours a week as you for the past 2 and a half years and can testify to how hard this is to fit into 'normal life'. The end is in sight though - the last 2 days were finishing off the generator wiring (and isolated DC to DC transformer as its a Fischer Panda), next couple of days will be finishing the generator exhaust and fuel lines. I bet your life has changed since you finished your build - what do you do with the extra time!IMG_3970.jpgIMG_3974a.jpg

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Thanks for your reply john, it's great to hear from you. I bought 'Ocean Legacy' from Alan when I think he started finding it a little too hard to continue for health reasons. His engineering skills were first absolutely first rate and I have tried really (really) hard to maintain the high standards he set. The engineering is all pretty much done with the exception of the rear en-suite and shower-room, the Radar Arch and cockpit tent. Then, the plan is then to start on the 'tidying' - eg, tidy up the wiring, re-varnish the inside - then finally (and this is the comfy bit), the cushions! When all of that's done, it's back to re-paint the outside.

As you can guess, it's been a significant commitment - I've averaged the same 20 hours a week as you for the past 2 and a half years and can testify to how hard this is to fit into 'normal life'. The end is in sight though - the last 2 days were finishing off the generator wiring (and isolated DC to DC transformer as its a Fischer Panda), next couple of days will be finishing the generator exhaust and fuel lines. I bet your life has changed since you finished your build - what do you do with the extra time!View attachment 148456View attachment 148457

Well it’s all looking pretty tidy now!

After all the planning and failed attempts (due to the weather on planned cranage dates) to get the boat moved and transported to an appropriate marina, we finally launched around 24th July. After a couple of days checks and final testing, I then moved the boat approx 20 miles onto her swinging moorings where she spent the remaining part of the summer. I spent a few weeks sorting a few issues out that reared their heads on the initial trip to the moorings and whilst doing that, we had some great short breaks on the boat, with and without family. I then moved the most in mid October to her winter berth in Victoria - Caernarfon. Since then, I’ve been busy working on our house and garden - starting to catch up with a long list of work that has accumulated over the last twelve years. As you may know, I built the boat in my back garden in a purpose built shelter. So it’s taken quite a bit of effort and time to return the garden to its prior state! It’s still not finished, but the winter is currently holding that up!
I hate having nothing to do, so when not spending time on the boat this year, I’ll be stuck into another project (although much smaller this time) or other diy of some sort ?

Graham Jolliffe

Visit site
Hi john, I hope post construction life is treating you very well! I would really be very grateful if you could help me locate any of the original 'Spec' or 'Documents' or just 'generally interesting stuff'. I don't have copies of any of the build stuff or original designs or brochures and I don't think Alan Sharples still has any. I would be particularly interested in finding out more about the original CE Rating - I spoke with Hans Alma and he assured me it was a CE "B" rating - however, "Valentijn" is currently listing as a "C". ALMARINE 1200 motor yacht for sale | De Valk Yacht broker.

In a previous life, I spent a couple of years commuting across the Solent in my RIB and have sailed boats around a fair proportion of the world - so I'm very keen to find out what 'Ocean Legacy's' design potential is . Do you have any info that you might be able to share with me? If you could PM me that would be great.

In the mean-time, the 5KVA Fischer-Panda generator is in and working perfectly - as is the exhaust water-separator and together, it now sounds quieter than my chinese 5kw diesel heater from outside. However, it's a very different story on the inside until I order and fit some 50mm Pyrasorb sound-proofing!

I've ordered the foam for the seats/dinette and forward cabin and am trying to find a comfortable 'sofa' like material that's ideally fire resistant and and breathable - I would love to avoid the ubiquitous 'Buccara Tweed' if i can. All suggestions are very welcome! Thanks again, Graham.

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
Might be prudent to delete your e-mail address given that this is a public forum. You can send a message to John on here via the envelope symbol top right of the page.