Steel boat build - Almarine 1200fa

markc

Visit site
Amazing work John, I have recently binged the thread, and to mirror what many others have said, I'm totally in awe of your skill, dedication and apparently limitless reserves of patience. Now all you need to do is relax :-D

Dufton

Visit site
Well done to you John - an absolutely amazing achievement. As someone who has been on a similar journey and built a steel boat in my garden over 14 years, I actually think you have completed your project in rather a short time! As I write, I am in France on my aft deck sipping some Sancerre Red and raise my glass to you! I know all the highs and lows you have experienced and have loved reading your story. Now enjoy sir!

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Well done to you John - an absolutely amazing achievement. As someone who has been on a similar journey and built a steel boat in my garden over 14 years, I actually think you have completed your project in rather a short time! As I write, I am in France on my aft deck sipping some Sancerre Red and raise my glass to you! I know all the highs and lows you have experienced and have loved reading your story. Now enjoy sir!

Thank you! It sounds like you are enjoying your boat on the water and I hope to be doing so very soon!

Any photos?

Dufton

Visit site
Haha, yeah, we have just come through the French canals so she is loaded up with protection! She is designed and built in most respects to be RCD Category A (ocean going) but is CE marked to Category C (offshore, up to force 6 and 2m seas) which is a much less involved and easier process).

Bouba

Visit site
Yes, I remember the boat now and the question that I asked at the time when I was trying to gauge the weight of my boat in advance of planning the lift out of my garden! ??
Was it good advice ? Because you just ordered the world’s biggest crane...

JOHNPEET

Visit site
Was it good advice ? Because you just ordered the world’s biggest crane...

As I remember, Dufton was 18 tonnes when lifted. I also knew of an Almarine 1200AK which is the same as mine but single engined and no fly bridge, with a bit of work left to finish which was 14 tonnes when lifted. The project swallowed an incredible amount of material and my concern was that I too could have been up close to 18 tonnes or more even - who knew! The one thing that I couldn’t afford to do was underestimate the weight! That would have meant that if the boat was too heavy for the crane on the day - I would still have had to pay for it and then pay again for a bigger one! As big as that crane was, it’s max lift was only 20 tonnes at the 24 metre reach that we had!

Seastoke

Visit site
John we arrived in Conwy today on our way south , leaving tomorow , the boat you have done is the finest finish on a steel boat anyone will ever see, it is amazing, why don’t you leave it on the hard like Google. Couple of things , don’t forget to put the props on , are you having a sat nav fitted , now one bad point do the windows have film on them just wondering!,

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouba

Visit site
John we arrived in Conwy today on our way south , leaving tomorow , the boat you have done is the finest finish on a steel boat anyone will ever see, it is amazing, why don’t you leave it on the hard like Google. Couple of things , don’t forget to put the props on , are you having a sat hav fitted , now one bad point do the windows have fin on them just wondering!,
He could go further...leave the boat on the hard and charge Mr G to polish it

JOHNPEET

Visit site
John we arrived in Conwy today on our way south , leaving tomorow , the boat you have done is the finest finish on a steel boat anyone will ever see, it is amazing, why don’t you leave it on the hard like Google. Couple of things , don’t forget to put the props on , are you having a sat nav fitted , now one bad point do the windows have film on them just wondering!,

You should have called in, I was there between about 1:00pm and 6:00pm!

I’ll be there again tomorrow, but having a condition survey, hull thickness confirmation and formal valuation done!

Props are in the back of the van and will be fitted just prior to launch.

I have two chart plotters fitted, one at the interior helm and one on the fly bridge. I still don’t have a through hull transducer and will probably have to launch with a transom mount unit slung on a temporary stainless steel arm fixed to the swim platform! been on order since Feb. Will have to do the swap at first lift out. Also have an IPad with Navionics on.

The windows - no film! They are tinted, tempered glass manufactured by Marex and supplied by Vetus. They were delivered with the steel kit in 2009. I assume that you’re making reference to the “rainbow haze“ that appears on four of them? Apparently, this can occur during the tempering process and is known as “Anisotropy”. My research suggests that the glass industry doesn’t necessarily accept that it is a defect! It isn’t visible from inside the boat and it’s not visible in artificial light. Which is why it wasn’t detected when the crate was opened in 2009 for checking before being closed up and not opened again for about six years until the windows were fitted! At that point, I obviously had no route back regarding warranty - and then there’s the issue of whether it is actually a defect or not!

Its quite annoying though but I’m learning to notice it less!

Oh, and I’ve still got part of the hull and all of the superstructure to wax yet prior to launch!