Starting a New Year, an woke up with a Yacht from ebay. Colvic Sailor 29.6

alwaysawayround

Visit site
Hello folks, my first post here so give it your worse! ;) No really, I need telling off because I woke up this morning with a Yacht bought from ebay and I haven't sailed in years:encouragement:

So I guess a brief history before my questions I have might help out with this, I was working abroad, went and broke my knee in the Bahamas that ended that career as 2out of 3 operations went wrong over 2 years, a week after giving the all clear on the third operation I got hit and ran over by a car, what luck! Fast forward another few years with a repaired ankle, shin, knee and a case of PTSD with my brain working what is normal for me:rolleyes:, I've been reading about becoming a Liveaboard an getting real, and getting gone on a Sailboat, Sailing or at least reading and watching tons of hours on the yTube, learning knots, and having some refresher lessons is a huge part in overcoming the post effect of a small mental illness and also as an (ex) beach Lifeguard and Surfer the ocean has always been something I care for and attracted to.

So I thought i'd just do it and surprise my partner, use the money I have and become a liveaboard and learn to sail what I've potentially bought and start the dream otherwise we would never do it (is there ever a right time? (Probably after seeing the yacht, having a sea trial, survey and doing a RYA course would be better I know:rolleyes:, ) but we have that yet to come.

So my questions for anyone here that could offer some advice are, can we just turn up and complete this transaction and start living on it without any formal qualifications if the boat is good or do I need to have it hauled out first? I am waiting on a reply to whether it is on the hard or on the slip currently but we know that we can take it over where it currently is.

I have worked on cruise ships, got my STCW95, I have been trained on a small commercial 38 seater vessel for a few weeks but left that position before I become 'qualified' but I do have motoring experience on a vessel, and done some dinghy sailing and my girlfriend has only been on a dinghy with me but loved it.
The boat is a Colvic Sailor 29.6 '85 that is apparently well maintained and looked after, is a safe heavy boat with an encapsulated long keel and lines are leading back to the cockpit. The sails are new in 2015 and has been wintered ashore every year. I've used some books that have aided me in finding a Yacht suitable and isn't too much for a first timer which I think I have done correctly. It isn't a massive amount of money, but we intend to learn to sail it, and head over to the Med sometime and maybe further but for now, one step at a time.

Any thoughts or advice welcome, we're all ears! Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section:nonchalance: and wishing everyone a happy new year!

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

You do not need any qualifications to live on a boat or indeed to use it. however it seems a good idea to find out a bit more what is required to do it safely. Doing a week's RYA course to Day skipper level is one way - you will at least find out if you like sailing.

As to living aboard there are many different things to consider. The first is to find somewhere to moor your boat that is suitable and affordable. This is probably the hardest thing to do. A 30' boat is very restrictive on space and facilities and a struggle for one person and more difficult for 2 used to living ashore. Forget the romantic images - in the UK you have to be prepared for a very spartan existence.

Rather than try and cover all the potential problems (and benefits!), suggest you scroll down this forum (which is indeed the right place to be) plus the blogs at the top. This will give a you a good flavour of the problems you will have to overcome and how others have achieved it successfully (or not!)

alwaysawayround

Visit site
Hi Tranona, thx for your time in replying.

Yes I have been ghosting the forum for quite some time it has many topics of similar starts, try's and fails and successes but will be able to get involved a little more now it's going ahead, but RE the op have been on the water before so confident In that area but partner hasn't, but i'm sure we wouldn't be the first to say it'll be fine and be completely wrong! :)

That is helpful though so thanks, you now we know its feasible, did you start from fresh or came into this some other way? We will be taking part in the RYA courses after we arrive but I'm learning slowly about the initial things like licensing, VHF, ICC etc but realise this is for heading outside of British waters. Hopefully the mooring it is on currently is transferable which we find out at the end of the week, and the cost!

We suspect we are not your usual ashore type, how was your transition?... at first i agree it is inevitable to have romantic images and envisioning the Pirate Ship type boats you will captain (which you won't) and realise its all about choosing the right hull, going as small as you can/cost, rigging, servicing, engine maintenance, ease of use for single handed or double sailing, the drought, beam, ballast, and NOT gorgeous lovely mahogany and teak desks, 50' wheel driven wooden vessels with the wrong hull or Rig, big bright windows for all that light etc (dreaming again!) our mindset is minimal and expect a hard transition, but in our favour we live a very minimalistic lifestyle anyway as we've worked away for years out of a suitcase, recently been living on the road by Motorcycle since August, literally on the road, with no tent, a hammock and sack, so that's a small backpack each only, we ended up in Gibraltar then decided to change our replocation and head back !

So excited, thanks again for your time!

Bobc

Visit site
Welcome!

Sound like you have made the first big step, and now just need to have a go and see how you get on.

As said above, you need no formal training or qualifications. Find where you want to keep it, and start there (somewhere with good facilities, and shops and a pub nearby).

There will probably be things that need doing to it, and the best way to find out what they are is to live on it for a few weeks and see what falls off. You will also meet people where you keep it, who you will find will usually be happy to help and advise you.

Ask the seller to level with you, and tell you as much as they can about what needs looking at. This will save you finding out the hard way.

This forum is a great place for advice, but you need to be quite specific, or you will get so many conflicting views that your head will start to spin.

Enjoy your new boat.

Bob

smithy

Visit site
I have had the same boat, bilge keel version, for several years. Although not live aboard I do spend several summer months crusing on it. You won't find many boats that length with as much internal space although it will be cramped for two. A cockpit enclousure or at least a boom tent will make quite a difference to your living area. I intend to go full time liveaboard in the future but will probably move to a 38ft boat, it is just what your finances will allow.

Skylark

Visit site
Sounds like a very exciting start to the new year, congratulations!

If it’s been regularly wintered ashore does that imply that it’s currently on the hard? Not all marinas encourage liveraboarders (although many turn a blind eye) and even fewer are happy to have people living aboard while on the hard, this needs checking out.

Are you thinking about marina or do you have other ideas?

As an owner of a new boat you’ll also need to think about insuring it.

I’d try to arrange to meet with the previous owner and go through the boat inside and out, bow to stern and have an open and honest discussion with him. If this isn’t possible, perhaps ask a knowledgeable sailing friend.

My first priority would be to ensure it’s warm and dry. I’d then make a priority list to include warm water, electricity, gas and so on. For some, this will include satellite TV and drinks cabinet but only you and your partner know what’s import for your comfort.

I wouldn’t even think about it as a sailing vessel until you’re both settled. Plenty of time for that once you’re sorted!

Best of luck to you both.

ashtead

Visit site
Good luck with your new venture. I don't think you mention your intended location but this might influence how enjoyable your early days are. Many people be they liveabords or not spend some time checking out home locations which might be driven by budget and what facilities you need to fund your vessel and lifestyle and to what degree you need to get on your bike to fund the vessel or collect supplies or suchlike . I t seems to me that liveabords have to take far longer to achieve tasks than those using their vessels for weekends and holidays and if you have a continuing need to work to buy kit or refurbishment this time eats into the available units of time . Each has there own approach to solving this conundrum but so thinking of how you will allocate your time might be helpful when's considering you future travelling plans.

maxi77

Visit site
If you are panning on travelling afar doing enough training to get an ICC makes sense [ you may already qualify for a power one from your past experience], so port officials can be a trifle officious. If you are pretty confident handling the boat then doing the Coastal Skipper theory is a good way of getting into the navigation and planning side. Whilst the licence for the boat to carry radio equipment is just a matter of applying, but for your personal ticket to operate the VHF you need to sit an exam. Many places do a one day instruction and exam which any one should pass. There are also diesel maintenance courses which can be useful.

Good luck and remember you are not in a hurry, waiting an extra bit of time for the right weather is always more enjoyable

youngkath

www.thesailingnomads.com
Hiya! Wow what a start to the year!! Amazing story and given everything you have described I think you have lots of experience to add to this life and are bound to have an adventure...

I'm pretty new to the forum too and started the live aboard life back in May. On a practical level, if you need any help with boat maintenance, formalities etc. you can find it here. There might already be a thread on the topic, but if not, then ask away and there are loads of people willing to help.

I'm not really big on advice, because I think that everyone's experience is personal and you've already taken the hardest step... in deciding to go for it. I do think that once you leave, sail and live aboard for a while... you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

That said, we just took quite a hard line on two things... 1) safety (equipment and drills etc.) and 2) knowing our limits...

After that it is just absorbing the life, experience of others, courses if you feel that is right for you... and time on the water. Enjoy it and good luck with everything, do share your updates or a blog if you have one! I'd love to follow the journey... I'm also REALLY curious to know what your partner said!???

alwaysawayround

Visit site
Hi everyone, Thanks soooo much for all the comments it is great to hear all your thoughts! I just wanted to do a quick response (because we're on the road at the moment on my bike, its chilly in a tent this time of year!) to say we're still reading the replies, thoughts and ideas and will get a more thought out reply asap and not just joining a the forum, posting and never to return because that does happen! However we are very excited and are currently organising a Surveyor for when the boat is being hauled out, the rigging has never been changed in 33 years, 20 years in their ownership and has been over to the Med for 5 years in 2000, wintered ashore every year even abroad but used lightly in the last few years hence the sale, in the next few weeks we're making some videos and beginning a blog so will update if anyone fancies a read too.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic start to the New Year!

laika

Visit site
If you have any spare money, consider hiring a surveyor. Normally you'd do this before a sale to help negotiate the price but even though you've already bought it:
- if you're not experienced with boats, this will tell you if it's "safe" and give you a list of jobs that need doing (with priorities). If you've not owned a boat before, I cannot stress how useful that is
- You will probably need this to get insurance and you'll need insurance to visit marinas or cover you if you pang someone else's boat
The surveyor will want to see the boat when it's hauled out so hire them beforehand if the boat is in the water.
Ask on scuttlebutt or PBO for advice on surveyors in your area.

Next you need to consider where to park. As a uk liveaboard, even a rufty-tufty one, having an electricity hook-up is really helpful. Mid river mooring in winter? Wouldn't be my choice. Aside from heating you want a dehumidifier and there's really not that many big solar panels you can install on a 30' sailing boat. You don't say where you are but don't expect to waltz onto a residential mooring in south of england: it's all about finding somewhere which turns a blind eye to "illegal" liveaboards.

good luck!