New to motorboating with a family

Floatrin

Visit site
Hi all, I am new to the boating scene. I have a wife and three kids and want to get into it more. Last year we purchased a two-person inflatable kayak, and we really enjoyed it, apart from the fact that we couldn’t all go out together, and it gets tiring after a while, and you cant go very far in it. I just want to use it in allowable lakes and rivers with the family.

Here are some criteria:
- A boat with a motor (no sailing).
- A boat with a sun cover (nice to have but not essential).
- Big enough for short day/half day trips out (with enough space to have a seat during rides and to carry a few bags and picnics.
- Something I can put away in the winter (I guess the lends itself to being something inflatable, but I also have a garage if it wasn’t inflatable). I am open to rigid boats too, but I guess then I need to consider water storage and out of water storage.
- I have a 7-seater car (but currently no tow bar, but that could be arranged).

Does anyone have any suggestions on suitable options, or even if there is more that I need to consider. Another key consideration is budget, but I don’t want to think too much about that at this point, would just like to see what options are out there. I am expecting it to be in the order of thousands of pounds of course (it’s not the cheapest hobby out there for sure), I will consider new and used options.

Thanks all!

oldgit

Visit site
Something to consider.
First things first.
Your proposed boat will need to be able to be used on impulse, without it being a major operation of logistics to get afloat everytime.
What age are skipper and crew ?
A boat for a young Mum n Dad with three little uns is not the same as for a mature :) couple with reluctant sprawling louts.
Where do you live , half an hour away from useable water or a three motorway three hour marathon.
You are going to need decent sized rib or inflatable to accomodate 5 in safety and something rigid might be a better idea as more likely to provide space and more importantly for crew ,some sort of weather protetection.
In order not to waste time and to bring the next 150 posts to their inevitable conclusion about £500.000 might get you need. . :)

More seriously......set a budget and visit a few marinas / boat yards with sales pontoons and see what that money will buy you.
This will usually bring into sharp relief what you can actually afford .
Would suggest your looking for stability in any boat , a long way ahead of "James Bond" visual appeal or speed, you only only need to make Mum worried once to ensure you boat alone.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Rodman 700 or any similar peche promanade
.A 24/7/365 boat.
Shaft Drive with reliable economical diesel. Fuel available anywhere.
Cabin with bunks/heater/cooker /galley and Toilet with sink.
20 knots if you need it, however admit it lacks that vital "Media Kit" but does boast a perfectly good radio.
.....and no need to keep a puncture repair kit onboard or needing to pump it up....... ever.
All for less than 25K.
This one comes with nearly full tank of diesel and brand new Raymarine Plotter only used once and six , count em, slighty tatty fenders.
Think one of them warps belongs to me as well.
:)

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
You need to tow....a large inflatable plus collapsible floor plus engine, life jackets etc etc will fill all the internal space of your car...then you have to drive close enough to the water to assemble it, which takes time and effort, and is heavy to launch.
Obviously you will need a tow hitch and launching is a two man job...so you and the wife have to work as a team even if you do the heavy lifting. Also visit your prospective boating lakes and inspect the boat ramps...can your car get up and down them without incident...do you need a front wheel or all wheel drive...some are very slippery others very rough ...is there a good turning circle, place to park after etc.
Trailer boating is loads of fun😃