Singlehander showing on AIS

Plum

Visit site
This trend may not be new but I have only just become aware. Some singlehanders who are transmitting on AIS have added, after the name of their boat, "SOLOSAILOR", or similar, so other vessels are aware. Many skippers doing this are on French boats. Obviously singlehanders don't have any privileges in Colregs so are they hoping for a sympathetic response from stand-on vessels? This trend could become an annoyance with, for example, a boat showing on AIS as "BOATNAME-FOR SALE".

Last edited:

Tintin

Visit site
This trend may not be new but I have only just become aware. Some singlehanders who are transmitting on AIS have added, after the name of their boat, "SOLOSAILOR", or similar, so other vessels are aware. Many skippers doing this are on French boats. Obviously singlehanders don't have any privelages in Colregs so are they are hoping for a simpathetic response from stand-on vessels? This trend could become an annoyance with, for example, a boat showing on AIS as "BOATNAME-FOR SALE".

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Almost as annoying as a website used as a signature not working ;)

Birdseye

Visit site
This trend may not be new but I have only just become aware. Some singlehanders who are transmitting on AIS have added, after the name of their boat, "SOLOSAILOR", or similar, so other vessels are aware. Many skippers doing this are on French boats. Obviously singlehanders don't have any privelages in Colregs so are they are hoping for a simpathetic response from stand-on vessels? This trend could become an annoyance with, for example, a boat showing on AIS as "BOATNAME-FOR SALE".

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Somehow I dont think that ad for a boatname would work! Nor would it work for the boat. ;-)

Long distance single handers are illegal under marine law because they cannot keep the required look out

Daydream believer

Visit site
Solo on an AIS name has been in use for 6 years to my knowledge. A Belgian friend of mine uses it. It does not mean that he is breaking any COLREG, as he may be maintaining a lookout & using all available means at his disposal to ensure that lookout. To let small craft know that he is a single handed sailor, may be useful if his craft was suddenly seen to be making unusual manouvers.

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I have had that on my AIS name for many years, not seeking special privileges of course but maybe a crossing vessel might hail on the radio "are you awake?", though it never happened in over 20k miles solo. I also have the two NUC black round shapes, should I feel very sick I would hoist them as a last resort before passing away in deep sufferings, maybe someone passing by might hail "is everything ok?". "Exceptional circumstances" ex-rule 3, aren't they?.
Apart from that, I found that Colregs compliance by that sort of vessels is way above any other pleasure vessels, often going from one waypoint to the next one without even looking out of the window. A few days ago I went in the opposite direction to this all "solo sailors" mass (plain daylight), yet not one screamed "we are racing" :)

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Supertramp

Visit site
Solo on an AIS name has been in use for 6 years to my knowledge. A Belgian friend of mine uses it. It does not mean that he is breaking any COLREG, as he may be maintaining a lookout & using all available means at his disposal to ensure that lookout. To let small craft know that he is a single handed sailor, may be useful if his craft was suddenly seen to be making unusual manouvers.
I understand that but does he change his AIS name when he has crew?

Since fitting AIS I am impressed with the actions taken by commercial shipping with minor course adjustments evident from them to keep CPA above 1 to 2 miles. I imagine it's much easier for them to see my averaged course and speed. I catnap much better now!

V1701

Visit site
Wasn't/isn't there a pennant that some solo sailors used to display? Personally I think within reason why wouldn't you provide as much info as possible via AIS? The more info you provide, the more informed a decision about their own actions anybody seeing it can make...

tony_lavelle

Visit site
Wasn't/isn't there a pennant that some solo sailors used to display? Personally I think within reason why wouldn't you provide as much info as possible via AIS? The more info you provide, the more informed a decision about their own actions anybody seeing it can make...
Some solo sailors fly a numeral 1 pennant (big red dot on white background) with the same meaning, especially in Europe I'm told. Very useful on inland waters so lock keepers and bridge operators are aware.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
If it doesn't say you can't then there is no reason not to, something that served me very well with planners on more than one occasion.
As said I’m not averse but I work in an industry with strict regulations about transmissions and with systems similar in principle to AIS. Regulations are very strict and crews/airlines have been fined for transmitting words other than the correct identification. Just be aware that adding anything could be misinterpreted just as easily as adding further information.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
No. Tell us more, please

It was around the first Covid lockdown times, all the positions had been sent by this single station "Can carry your name", which was apparently moored in Calvi.

Ais%2Bemail%2B2.jpg

Ais%2Bemail%2B3.jpg