Singlehander showing on AIS

ylop

Visit site
It risks becoming meaningless and untrusted if too many folks use it, especially if the perception is that not all are solo.
Like L plates on the road? Possibly true - but then I have an intuition that helps me work out if they are a learner or a lazy parent! I suspect this would be similar - presumably the likely use case is not in busy areas or close to shore (where singlehanding for long periods is crazy) but for the transatlantic etc. Never having done that I’m not sure if people would be more worried about piracy by highlighting there’s only one crew to overcome?

Bilgediver

Visit site
As said I’m not averse but I work in an industry with strict regulations about transmissions and with systems similar in principle to AIS. Regulations are very strict and crews/airlines have been fined for transmitting words other than the correct identification. Just be aware that adding anything could be misinterpreted just as easily as adding further information.
These were my thoughts. However if you go to Marine Traffic you will find numerous vessels sending SOLOSAILOR after the name and it appears to be treated as an add on and displays as SOLOSAILOR In block characters.

PhillM

Visit site
I’ve changed the name of “Swift” to “Swift solo sailor” so I’m compliant 😂

Actually I checked yesterday and is says

“Swift Sole Sailor”

I asked for Solo but I guess Sole is ok. Changing it may be a winter job, if I can be bothered.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I see a good handful of "xxx Solo Sailor" boats holding to the east of Osborne Bay on Marine Traffic, the idea seems to be catching on.

Gsailor

Visit site
Typical DM reporting, ignore convention for best effect and report the boat size as being 3 feet which is actually the beam instead of the 11 feet which is its length.
I realise this is not the topic of the thread but I say Good Luck to him - he has experience and does not seem stupid.

Cooking, sleeping and using the head do strike me as problematic on a 3 month voyage in such a small craft.

AndrewL

Visit site
While waiting to watch the start of the Fastnet race from Cowes, I noticed that the Banque Populaire Ultim trimaran was tagged on AIS with Solo Sailor. Which I thought was unlikely as the Fastnet is a 2 crew minimum.

I've since discovered that she had a crew of 7. So I have no idea what they were doing.

dunedin

Visit site
While waiting to watch the start of the Fastnet race from Cowes, I noticed that the Banque Populaire Ultim trimaran was tagged on AIS with Solo Sailor. Which I thought was unlikely as the Fastnet is a 2 crew minimum.

I've since discovered that she had a crew of 7. So I have no idea what they were doing.
Did you see them on AIS using a local VHF receiver - or via a web site like Marine Traffic.
The web sites seem to take a while to update their databases with revised AIS names, so Banque Polulaire (which has been sailed solo) May in fact not have been broadcasting that name with “Solo Sailor” in reality

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

deeb

Visit site
I saw numerous yachts heading west in the Fastnet race at the weekend that were displaying "solosailor" on their AIS ( a certain Medallia amongst them) - the trouble is: they weren't sailing solo. I've sailed many thousands of miles solo around our coasts (and Ireland, France Spain etc and wouldn't dream of it). To me it seems like your asking for dispensation, which you don't really deserve. And as for displaying "solosailor" while crewed - I think it is poor form.

dunedin

Visit site
I saw numerous yachts heading west in the Fastnet race at the weekend that were displaying "solosailor" on their AIS ( a certain Medallia amongst them) - the trouble is: they weren't sailing solo. I've sailed many thousands of miles solo around our coasts (and Ireland, France Spain etc and wouldn't dream of it). To me it seems like your asking for dispensation, which you don't really deserve. And as for displaying "solosailor" while crewed - I think it is poor form.
Refer to post #29. Before complaining have you checked what they were actually showing on VHF not MarineTraffic ?

deeb

Visit site
Refer to post #29. Before complaining have you checked what they were actually showing on VHF not MarineTraffic ?
Er, I may not have made it clear in my post - and no reason why I would - but I was sailing east around the Lizard and they were showing on my chartplotter (they were heading the other way, obvs). During the afternoon I saw plenty others showing the same. It doesn't sit right with me..

No need for me to check I hardly ever use Marine traffic - I know what I saw and have seen the same thing many other times (Kinda hence this thread). .

If there's a fault here it is that having commissioned your AIS it isnt easy to change settings - for examle I would dearly like the option to disable the "transmit" side of this when it suits me but the installation doesnt permit this. It is all, or nothing. If the vessels concerned had an easy "edit settings" button then they'd have no excuse. As it is they have an excuse, if not a very good one.

But I wouldnt append "Solo sailor" to my vessel's name when solo, either, I see it as my problem, not anyone elses

Daydream believer

Visit site
One can disable transmit completely ( at least I can run silent) which is handy in busy areas, like the solent, where one is just cluttering the airways. However, I cannot disable part of the name, MMSI or call sign.
I can change the purpose of my sailing quite quickly. ie sailing vessel, pleasure vessel, fishing, MOB , guardship, surveying etc. It would be handy if they added solo sailing to the list so one could amend as required. Anyone looking up the details would then see the classification of the vessel if investigating a possible CPA

Supertramp

Visit site
What dispensation is being asked for by adding Solo Sailor?

Of far more relevance to Colregs is whether a sailing vessel is under sail or under power which AIS doesn't tell you. Or whether it's a racing machine about to take off at 17 knts with the spinnaker up. Any solo sailor with AIS fitted should be responding to CPA warnings and alarms in the same way as a crewed vessel, and in line with Colregs.

For info I sail solo and crewed but no one would see a difference on passage. I do sleep more and better with crew!

Other threads that may be of interest