SIBS

drh2

Visit site
Been to the show today and was shocked to how much it has shrunk. About a third was 'missing' over all & the most surprising was the decrease in volume of on the water boats - about 25% less according to one sales person from Ancaster, also, there is only one hall now & no nice line up of sail boats in the main section.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
Been to the show today and was shocked to how much it has shrunk. About a third was 'missing' over all & the most surprising was the decrease in volume of on the water boats - about 25% less according to one sales person from Ancaster, also, there is only one hall now & no nice line up of sail boats in the main section.

is it possible to have a nice line up of sail things

dash300

Visit site
Found the same with Beaulieu Boat Jumble much reduced in size from what it used to be in it's heyday. Internet is changing everything.

superheat6k

Visit site
Overall still an excellent show, but noticeably smaller as mentioned. Notably most of the same stand holders in more or less the same places, some might like it, but I would like to see a bit of variety.

First time I have visited on preview day, and enjoyed the freedom to wander without the madding crowds.

The boats that were afloat were great, both Motor and Sail - didn't look on many, instead mostly just wandered around taking it all in. I did like the Nimbus, and had a good look on those. There were notably fewer equipment stands.

Be aware that by midday West Quay car park was rammed and the cars being turned around at the entrance created near gridlock at the junction just outside by the show entrance. I ended up parked in the city centre at East Street multi storey and walked the 5 minutes to the entrance. Next weekend when we re-visit I will park there first off. Bargate Car park is also generally empty and easily less than 10 minutes walk.

The only annoying part for me is the preponderance of far too many stand staff who find their mobile phones and stand colleagues more interesting than the folk showing up to ask questions and be informed about their boats and wares. I can understand this by say day 5 or 6, but this was day 1, and notable mostly on the multi £000 stands. These firms pay all that money and then fail to entice the visitors. Had I £1M to spend today in my scruffs I can think of several who would not get a look in at my cash due to the 'I'm more important than you' attitude purveyed by many staff.

drh2

Visit site
The only annoying part for me is the preponderance of far too many stand staff who find their mobile phones and stand colleagues more interesting than the folk showing up to ask questions and be informed about their boats and wares. I can understand this by say day 5 or 6, but this was day 1, and notable mostly on the multi £000 stands. These firms pay all that money and then fail to entice the visitors. Had I £1M to spend today in my scruffs I can think of several who would not get a look in at my cash due to the 'I'm more important than you' attitude purveyed by many staff.

Interesting you had that experience too, it really ticked my wife off. I would have expected a more interested attitude by many businesses exhibiting there on the very first day.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
They could be answering texts/emails from existing customers or prospects. Perhaps if you were in discussion with these guys prior to the show you wouldn't expect them to ignore you for 10 days?

I don't buy that. Whichever way you look at it, it's unprofessional behaviour. They are the face of whichever company is employing them. Either they haven't been trained properly, they're idiots or too arrogant. If they need to take or make a phone call or text, do it away from public view.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Had I £1M to spend today in my scruffs I can think of several who would not get a look in at my cash due to the 'I'm more important than you' attitude purveyed by many staff.

Do you honestly think anyone would not buy the boat they like because staff snubbed them? Youd just buy it from a different dealer - "Boat X is perfect and just what I want but their staff were rude/off/on phone/bored/ugly/fat/inattentive* so I spent £1m on one that I didn't like as much instead...

Just not going to happen.

*delete as appropriate

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Do you honestly think anyone would not buy the boat they like because staff snubbed them? Youd just buy it from a different dealer - "Boat X is perfect and just what I want but their staff were rude/off/on phone/bored/ugly/fat/inattentive* so I spent £1m on one that I didn't like as much instead...

Just not going to happen.

*delete as appropriate

Sort of think the Ugly/fat is not a reasonable comment........ Not always a persons fault you know

jrudge

Visit site
I disagree having been in exactly that position.

Had I set my heart on a specific boat. No. But you would be surprised. I consider myself a reasonably informed buyer but when you are buying up you ( well I ) don't actually know much about that part of the market. Seeing boats and getting on them is only possible at boat shows unless you want to travel for miles and miles.

I liked the Princess 64. I was in Southampton ( ok not a boat show ) asked to look at one. Begrudgingly shown one that was a customers boat. Sir had 2 kids in tow and was wearing jeans. Sir was clearly a time waster and was looking for something to do with the kids on a weekend. Sought to get into a discussion on price and an overall deal. Got me nowhere. Went over the road to what was then Fairline Southampton (2014) and confirmed an order ( that we had discussed at the boat show ) for an s65.

I had money in my pocket. I was about to commit to a deal. I wanted to know the alternatives, salesman could not have given a stuff. Travel elsewhere to other dealers. Now Essex deal with princess but at that point there was no choice.

Which boat did I prefer ? There was not much in it. The overall deal played a large part in it , but princess put themselves out of the game ( or one salesman did )

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site

Had I set my heart on a specific boat. No. But you would be surprised. I consider myself a reasonably informed buyer but when you are buying up you ( well I ) don't actually know much about that part of the market. Seeing boats and getting on them is only possible at boat shows unless you want to travel for miles and miles.

I liked the Princess 64. I was in Southampton ( ok not a boat show ) asked to look at one. Begrudgingly shown one that was a customers boat. Sir had 2 kids in tow and was wearing jeans. Sir was clearly a time waster and was looking for something to do with the kids on a weekend. Sought to get into a discussion on price and an overall deal. Got me nowhere. Went over the road to what was then Fairline Southampton (2014) and confirmed an order ( that we had discussed at the boat show ) for an s65.

I had money in my pocket. I was about to commit to a deal. I wanted to know the alternatives, salesman could not have given a stuff. Travel elsewhere to other dealers. Now Essex deal with princess but at that point there was no choice.

Which boat did I prefer ? There was not much in it. The overall deal played a large part in it , but princess put themselves out of the game ( or one salesman did )

Puts me in mind of the Pretty woman film

In this day and age people need to get over themselves about what people wear and their appearance. I think the phrase is be less shallow

Dennis

Whitelighter

Visit site

As you say, boats much if a muchness. But had the Princess been streets ahead of the fairline would you still have bought the poorer boat because one salesman pissed you off? Lot of money to waste to make a point.

Sure, stop dealing with that broker/sales guy but why buy something you don't really want.

In your case, as you say the busts were in your eyes identical and it was as much the deal (with a 2014 squadron that also I guess means huge discount) as anything.

benjenbav

Visit site
As you say, boats much if a muchness. But had the Princess been streets ahead of the fairline would you still have bought the poorer boat because one salesman pissed you off? Lot of money to waste to make a point.

Sure, stop dealing with that broker/sales guy but why buy something you don't really want.

In your case, as you say the busts were in your eyes identical and it was as much the deal (with a 2014 squadron that also I guess means huge discount) as anything.
I can't imagine Jeremy's buying choice would be swayed by the quality of the sales assistants' busts...prolly more of a leg man.

jrudge

Visit site

There was indeed a big discount ( queue Henry ) but I never found out princess bottom line ! Remember other than a euro quirk leading to full order books for uk producers at the moment they all discount to bigger or lesser degrees.

Fishtigua

Visit site
We had one bloke turn up to view our 65m yacht in Antibes. He got out of a ratty Ford estate with 2 muddy spaniels in the back and he was wearing wellies and a grotty Barbour jacket.

He also owned one of the biggest mobile phone networks in the USA. Never go by looks alone in this day and age.

Zing

Visit site
I'm finding it a real pain to plan my visit next week. I want to see a list of boats in a size range or a just a list of boats so I can email and get appointments. Getting that info off the SIBS website is really hard almost to the point of me giving up. The obvious contenders make a good short list of course. Other than that, has anyone seen a list of boats at SIBS?