SIBS

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I knew a chap who bought an ASH-25 glider to learn in - that's a bit like buying a Lamborghini for driving lessons. He originally wanted a Nimbus 4 (similar performance and price) but the Schempp-Hirth agent was so rude (characteristically so) when he raised the matter that he went elsewhere. That was 25-ish years ago, when £150k was quite a lot of money.

Is he still alive?

MapisM

Visit site
We have a Ribeye 2.6 on Rafiki. I think a 2.3 would be quite tight for us.
15 years ago or so, when I bought a 3m rib for my old lady, I used to think that it was still tight.
Now, with a much larger swim platform on the DP (which is almost 5m wide), eventually I went for a 2.8m, and I think it's plenty.
Leaving a decent space on the swim platform is more valuable than a couple of feet longer tender, imho.
I'm sure that MYAG and Hurricane (to name but a few) would disagree, but it's all down to how the boat is used - no right or wrong here... :)

rafiki_

Visit site
15 years ago or so, when I bought a 3m rib for my old lady, I used to think that it was still tight.
Now, with a much larger swim platform on the DP (which is almost 5m wide), eventually I went for a 2.8m, and I think it's plenty.
Leaving a decent space on the swim platform is more valuable than a couple of feet longer tender, imho.
I'm sure that MYAG and Hurricane (to name but a few) would disagree, but it's all down to how the boat is used - no right or wrong here... :)
Yep P. 2.6 is spot on for us. We can access both transom gates, I can haul up on the Hurley, and we don't bash knees on the tender.

Dorset Dan

Visit site
I would guess 2.3m knowing the amount of space that our older 2.4m zodiac takes up across the rear deck of our T34.

Post SIBS, I am looking at a Ribeye TL240 as a replacement as it happens, just got to decide if the extra ££ is worth it. If not I will go for the Zodiac cadet 230 air deck.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I would guess 2.3m knowing the amount of space that our older 2.4m zodiac takes up across the rear deck of our T34.

Post SIBS, I am looking at a Ribeye TL240 as a replacement as it happens, just got to decide if the extra ££ is worth it. If not I will go for the Zodiac cadet 230 air deck.

Thanks DD, it's comforting to know that you you'd go for a 2.3m. I was tempted by a 2.0m as it would occupy less space on the bathing platform but of course there's a trade off for stability and capacity.

We paid around £550 for our 2.3m roll-up and I think the Ribeye is £1500 but of course the Ribeye won't go in a bag. As we'll be in the Med, with perhaps longer periods where it's not used, I do like the idea of being able to roll up the tender and store it somewhere. I confess I didn't do any research beforehand and we bought the slatted roll-up version instead of the inflatable keel. The inflatable didn't seem to have much of a keel anyway so I don't know if it makes any difference when in use.

Incidentally, as we seem to have thread drifted into tenders, where do people keep their outboards? Our boat has an outboard bracket on the stern which is convenient for temporary storage but might leave the o/b being vulnerable to being pinched when we're not there. I might buy a cable lock just to deter very casual thieves. I guess I have to store the o/b on the boat when we leave it unattended for any period of time? I guess another bracket in the engine bay might make sense.

rafiki_

Visit site
Thanks DD, it's comforting to know that you you'd go for a 2.3m. I was tempted by a 2.0m as it would occupy less space on the bathing platform but of course there's a trade off for stability and capacity.

We paid around £550 for our 2.3m roll-up and I think the Ribeye is £1500 but of course the Ribeye won't go in a bag. As we'll be in the Med, with perhaps longer periods where it's not used, I do like the idea of being able to roll up the tender and store it somewhere. I confess I didn't do any research beforehand and we bought the slatted roll-up version instead of the inflatable keel. The inflatable didn't seem to have much of a keel anyway so I don't know if it makes any difference when in use.

Incidentally, as we seem to have thread drifted into tenders, where do people keep their outboards? Our boat has an outboard bracket on the stern which is convenient for temporary storage but might leave the o/b being vulnerable to being pinched when we're not there. I might buy a cable lock just to deter very casual thieves. I guess I have to store the o/b on the boat when we leave it unattended for any period of time? I guess another bracket in the engine bay might make sense.
Pete, I'm a bit paranoid about petrol in the engine bay, so personally would avoid storing the o/b there if possible. Ours locks to the rib, which is locked to the boat. However this won't work for you. Is there anywhere in your marina where they might have secure storage when you are away?

[2068]

Visit site
Mine is strapped into the engine bay, but there isn't any petrol in it.
The remote petrol tank is stored elsewhere.

Dorset Dan

Visit site
We have an outboard bracket in our engine bay, but like Flower Power do not leave petrol stored in it and have a separate fuel tank (kept in transom locker). In our T34, the storage bin that was there originally in the engine bay has previously been removed so there is plenty of room forward of the engines. Once it is clamped on it has a couple of hooks to secure a bungee around the leg which means it is very secure and doesn't have any opportunity to come lose whilst underway.

For me it's not a case of security, it's just that I don't like the transom mounted brackets, think they look a bit of an afterthought (says me with a tender hanging off the back on snap davits!!). Plus it clutters up the rear deck and (in the UK at least) the number of times we use the tender means that it isn't coming in and out too often.

If we are down at the marina for the weekend we tend to find a spot for the tender / outboard to remain in the water anyway as berthing stern to means that getting the tender off of the boat makes life easier anyway.

Dorset Dan

Visit site
I confess I didn't do any research beforehand and we bought the slatted roll-up version instead of the inflatable keel. The inflatable didn't seem to have much of a keel anyway so I don't know if it makes any difference when in use.

Our current Zodiac is the roll up slatted floor version. Having deflated it to take it in and out of the boot of the car (took it home to give it a thorough clean) I don't think I would fancy trying to pack it anywhere small enough to store on board a T34, but as your boat is going to be kept in the med I see the advantage to keeping it safe and sound whilst you are not there and not out in the sun all the time.

My previous dinghy was a similar sized Lodestar that was sold with our old boat, which was an air deck version and I much preferred it to the slatted floor - it would plane quite easily compared to the slatted floor zodiac we now have and with a slight 'v' seemed to keep track more easily whilst under motor. Probably a bit more of a faff to inflate / deflate that the slatted floor version though so its horses for courses I think.

[2068]

Visit site
Fuel vapour David?

The outboard was chucking petrol all the place at the end of last season, so I stopped using it.
New fuel pump membranes, gaskets, and a carb strip, and now no leaks at all.

I would guess there must be a small amount floating around even if I run the carb dry after use..
Running the blowers for a little while before starting is a belt and braces measure.

If I think about these things too deeply, I don't think I'd ever leave the marina!
(should I tell my daughter she's sleeping on top of four potentially explosive lead acid batteries? :eek:)

Last edited: