SIBS

Tranona

Visit site
Be aware that by midday West Quay car park was rammed and the cars being turned around at the entrance created near gridlock at the junction just outside by the show entrance. I ended up parked in the city centre at East Street multi storey and walked the 5 minutes to the entrance. Next weekend when we re-visit I will park there first off. Bargate Car park is also generally empty and easily less than 10 minutes walk.

I made it to the head of the queue and was told the car park computer was broken and would not allow any entries even though the exits were working and plenty of cars were leaving. So the real reason may be completely different.

Anyway the Podium just over the road had acres of empty space and just as close to the show entrance.

Seahope

Visit site
I made it to the head of the queue and was told the car park computer was broken and would not allow any entries even though the exits were working and plenty of cars were leaving. So the real reason may be completely different.

Anyway the Podium just over the road had acres of empty space and just as close to the show entrance.

We went today and parked in the Odeon car park. Not that much further to walk. We had no trouble going on any of the boats we wanted and only had to wait for a couple of minutes for Fairline & Princess. I really liked the Bavaria 43? (the model with the retractable sunroof) and a Princess of similar size although with a fly bridge. The fit-out of both of these boats was really good. It has been a while since I have been on a boat so I forgotten how strong the fibreglass smell is in on new boats.

ChrisJBSC

Visit site
We have been each year for the past 4 or 5 years.
But this year, we were wandering around the marina saying: "That's why we / glad we didn't choose that boat", rather than having to look on every boat in case it suited us. :)
So overall, less expensive than last year :) :)
But as we are equipping for a couple of years coastal / channel cruising, rather than this year on the Thames, the many different equipment dealers ere most appreciated.

Phildorset

Visit site
We went yesterday, got to view a few of the possible-next-step-up offerings from Sunseeker and Princess, both brands were equally welcoming in allowing us onboard and let us view - but if I were their sales manager I'd want to know how come we spent 20mins or so on their beautiful creations and yet nobody thought to at least ask if we would like any questions answered, current situation etc... I'm happy not to have to have those conversations... but unless they are mind readers there is absolutely no way they could know. Maybe they have learnt that it's better to give people space and wait to be asked if they would like to sell a boat, or perhaps It's because we were smartly dressed and without our children, wellies and spaniels?

Wavey

Visit site
Excuse the slight thread drift but I've been given a ticket to the show and was wondering where's best to park with a 4x4 (Range Rover). I can't get into some multi-storey car parks due to height restrictions.

superheat6k

Visit site
Excuse the slight thread drift but I've been given a ticket to the show and was wondering where's best to park with a 4x4 (Range Rover). I can't get into some multi-storey car parks due to height restrictions.
Go past the show heading west, just past IKEA turn left into the Odeon - massive surface car park, Just over 5 minutes walk to the entrance. If approaching from the west as you pass along West Quay Road it is to the right opposite TGI Fridays and McDonalds.

I think if you go into the Odeon Foyer there are car park boxes where you enter your reg no. and it allows you free parking as a cinema user, and these do not ask to swipe your cinema tickets.

Last edited:

Wavey

Visit site
Go past the show heading west, just past IKEA turn left into the Odeon - massive surface car park, Just over 5 minutes walk to the entrance. If approaching from the west as you pass along West Quay Road it is to the right opposite TGI Fridays and McDonalds.

I think if you go into the Odeon Foyer there are car park boxes where you enter your reg no. and it allows you free parking as a cinema user, and these do not ask to swipe your cinema tickets.

Many thanks.

Phildorset

Visit site

Or, drop your car off with the car cleaning guys opp the railway station and you'll get a decent car clean whilst you're at the show, worked for me last year, they were happy to park it up in their lot and no extra charge. I think I paid circa £12 and it was there for about 5hours or so.

Time Out

Visit site
Just walked in from Cannes. Awfully windy and flight full of the great and the good so expect SBS to be on full attention tomorrow when the bosses all show up at once ... they are all driving down tonight, poor chaps.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Just got back from the show yes a bit smaller and Samey but still very much worth going

Did not look on any of the big ones as I don't like looking at what I can't afford

dj43

Visit site
On way home now from a very pleasant day at sibs, weather has been great, all boats that we wished to view were readily available , the new hardy 65 what a different boat from there last offering , the Fairline squadron 53 looked more like Fairline quality from past , layout was not to our taste, but there are various choices of layouts , Some nice touches on the Sealine boats especially the bow seating , the boat that stood out for us , bearing in mind apart from the hardy we only went on 50 footish boats and was the complete package was the new princess 55 , liked the layout, build quality hard to fault , looked a step above the rest ,especially the flybridge dash which looked as though someone had spent time designing rather than the slab of white plastic that was offered on the competion ,

Andrew M

Visit site
Yep, we always enjoy the show, went Saturday and going again next weekend as well with some friends new to boating. we concentrated on getting on a few boats on the pontoons before it got too busy and we have some appointments next week for some of the main interest ones. Had a good mooch around the stands in the marquees, bought some new binocs after someone has pulled off, and not mentioned, a rear lens from my main pair sometime this year (how, why ??), bought some of the Scholl polishing bits to give them a try and got some good info on fabrics for a future exterior retrim plus sorted out a mod to the Webasto heating that we bought at last year's show and had fitted afterwards that'll make winter weekends much more comfortable for us on board so was well pleased with the day. loved the Princess S65. Looking forward to next Saturday there.

DazzyWoo

Visit site
Went to the show yesterday. Went by train and had a few drinks - surely the way to go?

'm not a full scale aficionado (think I have been 4 times), but I haven't noticed a significant deterioration is size or quality. I keep going back - so they must be doing something right.

I bought something to make my Fusion Stereo bluetoothe compatible, a new tender, and assorted knick-knacks. Going to the show meant I could talk directly to suppliers, measure stuff , and hopefully get stuff that will fit / work.

Re: boats - I just go to look at what we might be able to buy used in about 5 years time

Loved the Sealine C430, but thought it was expensive; Bavaria 400s seemed much bigger bang for the buck. Not in quite the same class, but I think all things being equal would be a better fit for our budget / needs

I thought the Cockwell Duchy's were interesting; though it was a shame for me the example on show was only 1 berth. Would love to see a 45 if one is commissioned.

Also the Westward c405 was amazing value only spoilt for me by the tiny second cabin; more akin to what you might expect on a sub 30ft cruiser - but I suppose everything is a compromise; and the list price was very competitive.

Th

Time Out

Visit site
Are they not just different halls ? They have been evolving for years.

Heading down on Thursday although sadly it's of little relevance to my role now.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
No big Yachts on the hard and one less hall. More non boating stands

There might have been one fewer hall but that was because (last year) they joined the two together - no appreciable loss in the covered area (I suspect a slight increase). In fact it was the expansion of the halls that meant that there was no longer space onshore for the lines of sailing boats. I couldn't detect any noticeable increase in non boating stands over last year.

alant

Visit site
Overall still an excellent show, but noticeably smaller as mentioned. Notably most of the same stand holders in more or less the same places, some might like it, but I would like to see a bit of variety.

First time I have visited on preview day, and enjoyed the freedom to wander without the madding crowds.

The boats that were afloat were great, both Motor and Sail - didn't look on many, instead mostly just wandered around taking it all in. I did like the Nimbus, and had a good look on those. There were notably fewer equipment stands.

Be aware that by midday West Quay car park was rammed and the cars being turned around at the entrance created near gridlock at the junction just outside by the show entrance. I ended up parked in the city centre at East Street multi storey and walked the 5 minutes to the entrance. Next weekend when we re-visit I will park there first off. Bargate Car park is also generally empty and easily less than 10 minutes walk.

The only annoying part for me is the preponderance of far too many stand staff who find their mobile phones and stand colleagues more interesting than the folk showing up to ask questions and be informed about their boats and wares. I can understand this by say day 5 or 6, but this was day 1, and notable mostly on the multi £000 stands. These firms pay all that money and then fail to entice the visitors. Had I £1M to spend today in my scruffs I can think of several who would not get a look in at my cash due to the 'I'm more important than you' attitude purveyed by many staff.

Went yesterday & seemed to be populated with self important guys in 'smart suits' talking in groups cluttering up the pontoons. Although was invited to view the Hardy 65, even though I said "no way can I afford it". Very knowledgable & friendly guy showed me around. Very impressed with his attitude.