Seacock handle broke

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I think writing this ‘saga’ up took longer than the actual events…and reading some of the comments was certainly more traumatic 😱😳🤣🙄
Now you know for sure that the home made spanners couldn't undo the seacock and what a pig of a job it was doing all of the grinding and cutting, risking turning the through hull and/or damaging the threads, would you concede that it would have been easier and quicker to have simply ground the out flange off and just unscrewed the whole assembly from inside ?

wingcommander

Visit site
This has been a very enjoyable read. Let's hope the op. didn't over do it with the 291inside the valve ( female thread) and block up the fitting. Seen that done many times ( semi ret. gas engineer) with countless number of years handling cocks of various sizes. Ohhh Ehrrrr Matron !!!!!

Refueler

Visit site
This has been a very enjoyable read. Let's hope the op. didn't over do it with the 291inside the valve ( female thread) and block up the fitting. Seen that done many times ( semi ret. gas engineer) with countless number of years handling cocks of various sizes. Ohhh Ehrrrr Matron !!!!!

Builder - plumbs in upstairs bathroom - sink / shower etc. but we could not get hot water to the sink (last in the line).

Pipes of course all behind the facings ...

Finally lost my rag with builder and told him straight - fix it or ...

So he arrived and carefully begrudgingly took panels down .. and checked the pipe ..

The pipes were of the green thermoplastic type where a hot collar is used to join them ... heat up one and slide other in .. leave for a bit and then remove the heat tool. The shower was immediately before the sink and was the second to last joint made ... water was getting past that joint - but not passed the last joint rising to the sink.
He cut the pipe after that last joint and .................

He must have left that heat tool on so long when he made the joint - it had melted inside and closed it off .... So cut out the blocked section ... remake with new.

People said it was not possible - till I used to show them the piece I kept ....

Bouba

Visit site
Now you know for sure that the home made spanners couldn't undo the seacock and what a pig of a job it was doing all of the grinding and cutting, risking turning the through hull and/or damaging the threads, would you concede that it would have been easier and quicker to have simply ground the out flange off and just unscrewed the whole assembly from inside ?
Thank you Paul and Fr Hackett…I will say this once (although readers will note I have said it fifty times already)…I tried to do the job as quickly and cheaply as possible…this meant only having the boat in the slings not a cradle and using as few ready available parts as possible and doing it without an assistant….with the backup plan that the boat could be put on a cradle next morning, that I could source the parts that I could find an assistant that I could wait an extra day or so for the sealant to cure ….and I had a further back plan of calling in a professional (WHOM I HAD ALREADY CONTACTED).
As it turned out everything went to plan…except the weather window that I was hoping to take advantage of had closed…such is our boating life.
And I admit I only had one wrench in my workshop capable of 70mm…for that I am ashamed…so I manufactured some and they were useful. But no, as explained, I didn’t have the room in the bilge to get the necessary leverage

Bouba

Visit site
I only put the 291i on the male parts…although I did liberally apply them…I also thought that the silicone could travel…so far it is good (touch wood) in retrospect I would now choose plumbers tape which I had but was in two minds

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thank you Paul and Fr Hackett…I will say this once (although readers will note I have said it fifty times already)…I tried to do the job as quickly and cheaply as possible…this meant only having the boat in the slings not a cradle and using as few ready available parts as possible and doing it without an assistant….with the backup plan that the boat could be put on a cradle next morning, that I could source the parts that I could find an assistant that I could wait an extra day or so for the sealant to cure ….and I had a further back plan of calling in a professional (WHOM I HAD ALREADY CONTACTED).
As it turned out everything went to plan…except the weather window that I was hoping to take advantage of had closed…such is our boating life.
And I admit I only had one wrench in my workshop capable of 70mm…for that I am ashamed…so I manufactured some and they were useful. But no, as explained, I didn’t have the room in the bilge to get the necessary leverage
About what i expected.

paradave

Visit site
I congratulate you Bouba on not only resolving this but also your civility in the face of a lot of posters talking to you in an incredibly disrespectful manner. I’m not sure how you’ve bitten your tongue and am unsure where having some knowledge of marine mechanics gives the right to act like a prat.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I congratulate you Bouba on not only resolving this but also your civility in the face of a lot of posters talking to you in an incredibly disrespectful manner. I’m not sure how you’ve bitten your tongue and am unsure where having some knowledge of marine mechanics gives the right to act like a prat.
Bit harsh to call Bouba a prat, annoying yes 😁

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m sorry to say that I lost the plot somewhere along the line. Am I right in thinking that, long story short, you ground out the old thru-hull, replaced same using appropriate sealant, attached the new valve plus existing pipework; that the boat has been re-launched and floats happily with no leaks?

If so: very well done. Must be time to enjoy actually using the boat again. 👍

Bouba

Visit site
I’m sorry to say that I lost the plot somewhere along the line. Am I right in thinking that, long story short, you ground out the old thru-hull, replaced same using appropriate sealant, attached the new valve plus existing pipework; that the boat has been re-launched and floats happily with no leaks?

No…go back and re read 😉
I kept the same thru hull and the same tail (90 degree bend and 2 inch hose pipe attachment)..,I only changed the seacock while the boat was in the slings…the boat yard, very helpfully towed my boat to the take out…and booked me in as the last lift of the day so I had all night available to me to work…the yard also recommended a professional (just in case) and even phoned him to make initial contact. So I was very pleased with the yards response (although I haven’t received a bill as yet😳😧)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Nah, short version: Ignoring good advice he attempted to unscrew the valve with his "fabricated" implements and failed, then proceeded to attack the valve with an angle grinder in the process damaging the threads of the through hull which he was lucky enough to be able to shorten. Then as luck would have it having not purchased a new through hull that definitely matched the valve ( as advised) nor did he check and measure the threads, he found that the valve fitted which he secured with copious amounts of 291.
This one hour job took him an evening and night and some of the early morning to achieve. However he is happy having demonstrated at least to himself and long suffering wife that he could in fact complete basic maintenance tasks without sinking their boat. 😁

Bouba

Visit site
Nah, short version: Ignoring good advice he attempted to unscrew the valve with his "fabricated" implements and failed, then proceeded to attack the valve with an angle grinder in the process damaging the threads of the through hull which he was lucky enough to be able to shorten. Then as luck would have it having not purchased a new through hull that definitely matched the valve ( as advised) nor did he check and measure the threads, he found that the valve fitted which he secured with copious amounts of 291.
This one hour job took him an evening and night and some of the early morning to achieve. However he is happy having demonstrated at least to himself and long suffering wife that he could in fact complete basic maintenance tasks without sinking their boat. 😁
I know you are only here to troll...but I shall humor you.....the reason jobs take so long to DIY is that on a boat (do you remember what one of those is ?) everything is cramped and awkward....and at my age I simply cannot get in some of those positions...and those that I can, only for a few minutes and often not that long....and in between I need lots of rest time for the body to recuperate....I made two spanners for the task...one proved very effective and the other not so...but neither failed....because I made them. Cutting was always an option....there is limited room for a long enough lever....why do you think I had all my cutting equipment with me ?
Now go back under your bridge 🤐

Fire99

Visit site
Well done @Bouba getting the job done. If the only water flowing is the stuff on the inside of the valve and you can turn it off then you have a winner..

As @Portofino says, any chance of a pic or two of the finished job. Always nice to see a picture of the patient once they're fixed up. :D:cool: