Seacock handle broke

Bouba

Visit site
Eventually during the night I recovered sufficiently to have another go (nothing on the tv). And cut more and more, millimetre by millimetre it came off.
I then watched some more telly, then set the alarm for six am (the crane operator arrives just after eight).
In fact the light woke me at five..,it’s strange lying in bed, looking out the overhead hatch…and seeing a crane looming above.

Bouba

Visit site
So I cleaned up the thread of the thru hull…I had damaged some thread😱…but I calculated that I could lose a half inch in height…so using the Dremmel, I cut the top of the thru hull off. Cleaned it up, test fitted the new seacock…then applied copious amounts of Silkaflex 291i and installed it.

Bouba

Visit site
The main body of the old seacock was attached to a 90 degree bend which was attached to a two inch hose pipe fitting. I needed those parts ..,because the chandler only opened at 8.30am.. so while I could safely be in the water …it would not be connected to the filter or engine. So I would have to be towed back.

Bouba

Visit site
I took the part to the work bench in the port…cut off most of the old seacock body so it could fit in the vice…then I got one of the legs that they use to prop up yachts on land…and that became my four foot lever.,,which I used to remove the parts I wanted. Cleaned up the thread, applied 291i and attached. The boat was good to go and I drank coffee while waiting for the crane people

Bouba

Visit site
They put the boat in the water while I checked the integrity of the work…I gave the go ahead and then cast off. Luckily it all went smoothly because a large commercial boat was coming into port wanting to be taken out

Bouba

Visit site
We are flying in tomorrow , are we having beer n natter some time.
Absolutely…I will talk to the wife…Marseille is 100 km away…there isn’t any good boaty weather (ironic that I did all this work for a weather window that closed😳) so it will be a road trip

Seastoke

Visit site
Absolutely…I will talk to the wife…Marseille is 100 km away…there isn’t any good boaty weather (ironic that I did all this work for a weather window that closed😳) so it will be a road trip
E will making our way doing the coast so which way are you. My number is

Moonbeam

Visit site
Beneteau say that where they make their thru hull holes, it's solid fibre glass, not cored. No reason not to believe them.

Video below of Beneteau 'cubed' balsa core Bouba mentions. Fast forward to about 2 mins 45 secs. You need to click on the 'watch on youtube'

Bouba

Visit site
My money is on the local guy did it ,and phoned him this morning , Ha Mr Boob it ok.
The wife wanted to call the guy from the first, and every minute after I started....she recognizes when I get into ‘stubborn old man’ mood ....in fact I recognize it when you lot start writing rubbish 😂🤣

roa312

Visit site
It was a hard job…like going fifteen rounds with Joe Frazier only to realise that the money isn’t worth it…it’s not a job I’d wish on my worst enemy…or even you lot.
Good to hear it all worked out - and thank you for entertaining us meanwhile!

I especially liked the little sidetrack discussion re the new seacock handle :LOL: