Seacock handle broke

stelican

Visit site
Do you mean the nut on the thru hull that is on the inside of the boat ?....because I made sure I didn’t move it
No the one that locks the seacock in place once you have orientated the seacock so that the handle doesn't bulk against stringers etc. Not the one that secures the thru hull.

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
No the one that locks the seacock in place once you have orientated the peacock so that the ha doesn't bulk against stringers etc. Not the one that secures the thrust hull
There is nothing like that on the one I bought as a replacement.....wait, are you saying the reason it took me all night to remove the old one was because it had a locking nut 😱😩

billskip

Visit site
There is nothing like that on the one I bought as a replacement.....wait, are you saying the reason it took me all night to remove the old one was because it had a locking nut 😱😩
If it had, surly you would have seen it after you butcherd the valve.

stelican

Visit site
If it had, surly you would have seen it after you butcherd the valve.
There doesn't appear to be one fitted in 5th photo post 1. Maybe the seacock bottomed out onto the thru hull in a position where the valve handle was free to swing.
Back nuts are sold separately. Used for locking a fitting in a pre determined position.

Bouba

Visit site
Wasn't there an utterance that you couldn't use them,(restricted space?)that's why you used the angle grinder...
I couldn’t get enough leverage (I reckon I needed an extra five foot of room to fit a lever that could have moved it...it was practically welded on)

Jerbro

Visit site
Beneteau say that where they make their thru hull holes, it's solid fibre glass, not cored. No reason not to believe them.

Video below of Beneteau 'cubed' balsa core Bouba mentions. Fast forward to about 2 mins 45 secs. You need to click on the 'watch on youtube'

Thanks for sharing this.. very reassuring!

Mister E

Visit site
Come on boobs you can't just let this die out.
There must be more you can entertain us with as I enjoy reading of your boating tales.

Greg2

Visit site
Well, what a saga! 😁

Just caught up with this having been dealing with my own trials and tribulations fixing a fuel leak and installing a new fridge with a remote compressor with dodgy / incomplete instructions, all of which now appears to be quite mundane in comparison.

Pleased that you got it sorted Bouba 👍

Now wondering about the hoses on our seacocks in the engine bay and whether they are fire retardant as per jfm’s commnets 🤔

Bouba

Visit site
I think writing this ‘saga’ up took longer than the actual events…and reading some of the comments was certainly more traumatic 😱😳🤣🙄