Seacock handle broke

Bouba

Visit site
Well done @Bouba getting the job done. If the only water flowing is the stuff on the inside of the valve and you can turn it off then you have a winner..

As @Portofino says, any chance of a pic or two of the finished job. Always nice to see a picture of the patient once they're fixed up. :D:cool:
I will be honest I didn’t do follow up photography because I honestly thought that this thread was finished 🤷‍♂️🤔

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I know you are only here to troll...but I shall humor you.....the reason jobs take so long to DIY is that on a boat (do you remember what one of those is ?) everything is cramped and awkward....and at my age I simply cannot get in some of those positions...and those that I can, only for a few minutes and often not that long....and in between I need lots of rest time for the body to recuperate....I made two spanners for the task...one proved very effective and the other not so...but neither failed....because I made them. Cutting was always an option....there is limited room for a long enough lever....why do you think I had all my cutting equipment with me ?
Now go back under your bridge 🤐
No I am here to take the piss there is a subtle difference 😁

Bouba

Visit site
No I am here to take the piss there is a subtle difference 😁
That much I know....but what I say is the truth...boat engineering areas aren’t designed to accommodate the age and size of the people they know who buy them...you’ve seen the state of my body

Wansworth

Visit site
That much I know....but what I say is the truth...boat engineering areas aren’t designed to accommodate the age and size of the people they know who buy them...you’ve seen the state of my body
On the coasters all the water inlets and pump stuff went to a chest of valves easy to get at and use,may be motor yachts could have a similar arrangement….getting at fuel tanks is another area that naval architects fall down on

Bouba

Visit site
On the coasters all the water inlets and pump stuff went to a chest of valves easy to get at and use,may be motor yachts could have a similar arrangement
I was thinking that wouldn’t it be nice if everything went into a sea chest, then you could change things without a lift out

Boathook

Visit site
Nah, short version: Ignoring good advice he attempted to unscrew the valve with his "fabricated" implements and failed, then proceeded to attack the valve with an angle grinder in the process damaging the threads of the through hull which he was lucky enough to be able to shorten. Then as luck would have it having not purchased a new through hull that definitely matched the valve ( as advised) nor did he check and measure the threads, he found that the valve fitted which he secured with copious amounts of 291.
This one hour job took him an evening and night and some of the early morning to achieve. However he is happy having demonstrated at least to himself and long suffering wife that he could in fact complete basic maintenance tasks without sinking their boat. 😁
What about the dog. It must suffer as well !

Refueler

Visit site

Boy - can I relate to that !!

After doing various jobs on a boat - I feel as though I've had 10 rounds with Muhammed Ali !!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Boy - can I relate to that !!

After doing various jobs on a boat - I feel as though I've had 10 rounds with Muhammed Ali !!
Should you and Bouba ever meet or worse buy a boat together they would have to make a dedicated forum or this one would break. 😁

Wansworth

Visit site
The downfall of our garden furniture is not having a place to store over the winter……or covers……….and they were teak lookalikes from Carrefour 15 years ago🙂