Seacock handle broke

MapisM

Visit site
This is the biggest disappointment in the thread so far. I spend my life correcting my daughter on this and now JFM does it, a man demonstrably more successful than me.
Disappointment?!?
In your boots, I'd rather celebrate the perspective that your daughter may have an SL96, one day.
And I'd stop correcting her PDQ!

Bouba

Visit site
Update….at just after 8am this morning the boat was put back in the water…and I drove it to her place in port and tied up…so far touch wood she is dry…but I will leave the seacock closed and return frequently to check…I’m going home to shower…I slept on the boat so I could have a late night and early morning start
If I don’t answer it is because I am napping…don’t wake me 😡

Portofino

Visit site
What did you exactly do in the end ?

If you managed to only change the valve and the TTHF moved inadvertently or un noticed though you may not see a leak visibly inside it might be leaking from the outside ( sea ) skin into the balsa core of your boat .The balsa absorbing water first ….hence inside it appears ok .

That’s why , or a double reason with a cored Benny the consensus on this thread was change the whole lot ….so you can ensure the integrity of the outer skin fitting seal , and re gunk up the whole thing as passed through the hull layers .

There’s also my earlier point about various dissimilar metals ( new valve and old bits now either end ) = bi metallic corrosion acceleration and possibly bonding to address this .

Just saying .

Bouba

Visit site
What did you exactly do in the end ?

If you managed to only change the valve and the TTHF moved inadvertently or un noticed though you may not see a leak visibly inside it might be leaking from the outside ( sea ) skin into the balsa core of your boat .The balsa absorbing water first ….hence inside it appears ok .

That’s why , or a double reason with a cored Benny the consensus on this thread was change the whole lot ….so you can ensure the integrity of the outer skin fitting seal , and re gunk up the whole thing as passed through the hull layers .

There’s also my earlier point about various dissimilar metals ( new valve and old bits now either end ) = bi metallic corrosion acceleration and possibly bonding to address this .

Just saying .
The Beneteau do use balsa core…but they are an encapsulated core. The hull is made of thousands of small balsa blocks…each has fibreglass infused all around…so no single block can infect its neighbour. A two inch hole, at its mathematical worse can probably only penetrate four blocks

Bouba

Visit site
It was a hard job…like going fifteen rounds with Joe Frazier only to realise that the money isn’t worth it…it’s not a job I’d wish on my worst enemy…or even you lot. I was going to photograph each stage but that went out the window after a few minutes. So all you get is verbiage

Bouba

Visit site
The hard part is as always, access…tight cramped awkward. Back is killing me.
I didn’t have enough leverage to undo the seacock…as predicted it was stuck firmly.
First thing I did was cut off the main body of the seacock (along with the tail) using an angle grinder.
Then I used the angle grinder to make relief cuts…followed up by the Dremmel to get as close to the thread as possible. After a long wrestle it moved a tiny fraction. I settled in for night with coffee and telly