RTI this Saturday

Mark-1

Visit site
Sailing East round the back of the Island will be terrific. :)

Tacking West to get out there might not be so much fun. :(

Mark-1

Visit site
Okay that looks breezy. Brown sailing gear going in the bag.

Yeah, getting up at the crack of dawn and battling into a stiff breeze with wind over tide is not really my idea of fun.

The good news is when the breeze picks up later it will be a down wind sleigh ride which will be fun.

Do the rules allow using a Chinook to drop the boat in the water SW of Freshwater at 9:30am?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
There’s a decent slipway in Freshwater bay, but of course in a stiff onshore breeze you’d have a job to launch a laser. That holds for the Freshwater lifeboat too, so stay out of trouble. It must be the only lifeboat in Britain that can’t launch in more than 10kn of prevailing wind.

Mark-1

Visit site
I did think that if there's going to be one thing worse than tacking West on Saturday morning, it's sitting in a stationary RNLI Rib with the engine ticking over by St Cats Pt. 🤮 🤢

Sounds like the Freshwater Independents can laugh from the hillside.

flaming

Visit site
I much prefer the 1st leg to be a beat from a competitive and interesting race point of view.

I'm not especially looking forward to the point when we catch the cruisers who started 10 minutes earlier and watch them trying to duck us in 20+ kts of breeze.... That's normally the scariest part of the whole race...

flaming

Visit site

RACE DAY - Saturday 15th June​

SW/WSW 14-18 gusting 25 kts for the start, backing SW 22-27 gusting 34 kts around the back of the Island by noon for the first part of the afternoon, easing WSW/SW 20-25 gusting 30kts by late afternoon & WSW 18-23 gusting 25 kts by sunset. Showers, some squally, are more likely in the morning. 14-16°C on land, expected sea surface temperature much the same.

Forecast from the race website.

st599

Visit site
The downwind starts are the best, the ones where you can't see anything and have no clue where the line is.

doris

Visit site

RACE DAY - Saturday 15th June​

SW/WSW 14-18 gusting 25 kts for the start, backing SW 22-27 gusting 34 kts around the back of the Island by noon for the first part of the afternoon, easing WSW/SW 20-25 gusting 30kts by late afternoon & WSW 18-23 gusting 25 kts by sunset. Showers, some squally, are more likely in the morning. 14-16°C on land, expected sea surface temperature much the same.

Forecast from the race website.
Having swanned along in a JPK 39 at
12 1/2 kts in 14/15kts of wind last month I hate to think what you’ll be doing round the back. 25kts maybe 30 wind over tide! Plus maybe a gybe at St Cats in a nice chop.
I look forward to getting an account of the fun.

flaming

Visit site
Having swanned along in a JPK 39 at
12 1/2 kts in 14/15kts of wind last month I hate to think what you’ll be doing round the back. 25kts maybe 30 wind over tide! Plus maybe a gybe at St Cats in a nice chop.
I look forward to getting an account of the fun.
Yes gybing should be fun…..

Never Grumble

Visit site
I'm supposed to be doing it but watching the forecasts carefully. According to Met office at St Cats we'll have 40 something knot gusts during the early afternoon, that might have put paid to our race.