Route planning, Solent to the Clyde

Suzi B

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could share general thoughts on planning a trip from the Solent to the firth of Clyde (well a bit further north but from the Clyde it's familiar territory). Obviously it's weather dependent and we'll make sure we have the necessary charts etc but I was hoping for thoughts on the big planning markers. For example our 'local' one is the Mull of Kintyre - you need to be in the right place at the right time and it's quite a long day and needs to be done in the right conditions. I know there are a few obvious candidates between the Solent and the Clyde but it's different seeing them on the map - I've love some thoughts, pointers, advice from those familiar with the areas so that I can be aware of the most challenging areas and plan around those.

For reference:
Crew of two, one experienced, one not (although not a total beginner), in a boat quite new to them so we'd be planning to sail where possible in daylight hours only. Departure probably in June so that should help.
We'd like to make the trip as quickly as possibly without compromising safety and at least a bit of enjoyment! The main thing in the first instance though will be to get the new boat back to within reach of home.
The boat has a shallow draft and can beach and the anchor is a good one and over specced for the boat.
We don't want to go into marinas as berthing is stressful! Mooring buoys are a bit better but we're much, much happier dropping anchor.
We'll have quite a lot of solar and a water maker so should be pretty self sufficient.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
For me you would have two longish sails, Western end of the Solent to Dartmouth ( I wouldn't break it at Weymouth ) then nip around to Plymouth and take stock. Then a day sail to Falmouth followed by another day sail to the scillies. Then the next long sail to Cork or Kinsale then work your way up the East coast of Ireland then you are almost home and dry perhaps breaking the next leg at the Isle of Mann again I wouldn't bother with the North Cornish coast, Bristol Channel or Wales and North West England.

geem

Visit site
For me you would have two longish sails, Western end of the Solent to Dartmouth ( I wouldn't break it at Weymouth ) then nip around to Plymouth and take stock. Then a day sail to Falmouth followed by another day sail to the scillies. Then the next long sail to Cork or Kinsale then work your way up the East coast of Ireland then you are almost home and dry perhaps breaking the next leg at the Isle of Mann again I wouldn't bother with the North Cornish coast, Bristol Channel or Wales and North West England.
The last time we did part of that trip we left the Solent and did a none stop run down to Falmouth. From there direct to Milford Haven. Milford direct to Pwllheli. A couple of days in Pwllheli then around to Holyhead. Holyhead to IOM is an easy leg and you are then nearly home

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
We did Falmouth to Troon in one passage. Lizard, Lands End and the North Channel are the big tidal gates. Off the Mull of Galloway an adverse tide is really not good, don’t ask how I know that……

Indeed. I have done this a few times now over the decades, both ways, mostly non stop to / from Newlyn then into the Solent or southwards. Also done the Fr J Hacket route to Scilly Islands, but then straight up the Irish Sea to Red Bay, Northern Ireland then Northwards.

It is fast sail up the Irish Sea, but 2 x up would be tiring hence I think the Irish Coast would be best before heading over to the Firth of Clyde, or Red Bay then northwards into the Sound of Jura. The MOK is nothing special if passing it. It only requires planning if rounding the MoK.

SaltIre

Visit site
The last time we did part of that trip we left the Solent and did a none stop run down to Falmouth. From there direct to Milford Haven. Milford direct to Pwllheli. A couple of days in Pwllheli then around to Holyhead. Holyhead to IOM is an easy leg and you are then nearly home

We did Falmouth to Troon in one passage. Lizard, Lands End and the North Channel are the big tidal gates. Off the Mull of Galloway an adverse tide is really not good, don’t ask how I know that……
Did you do all that as day sails, as the OP proposes?

SaltIre

Visit site
I think day sails and anchoring is limiting the OP on a delivery. Just need to get one with it and get there.
I'm unconvinced about the wisdom of an inexperienced sailor sailing in the dark, which is presumably why the stated intention is to coast hop and anchor overnight. Many of us would do what you suggest, but that isn't what the OP is asking about.

geem

Visit site
Did you do all that as day sails, as the OP proposes?
We did an overnighter to Falmouth. Then an over nighter to Milford. After that it's day sails. It depends how much time you have available. We only had a few days and late in the season so we were dodging some storms

Supertramp

Visit site
The Irish side from Rosslare up has overnight anchoring possibilities in W based winds but in E based winds you are very limited and would do better up the Welsh side. Navily offers good guidance.

Tides are quite lively and worth planning carefully for. Better to stop, rest and restart in 6-12 hours than battle on in my view.

I too avoid marinas but it's good to know there are several useful ones all the way up the Irish coast if needed (and quite necessary in fresh Easterlies).

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've done this trip single handed both ways several times, so all day sailing.
Solent to Portland anchored inside the big breakwater. A short sail, mainly because I find it hard to leave Chichester early enough.
Round the Bill inside passage, need to be careful about the tides.
Portland to Plymouth, anchored off Jennycliff beach.
On to Newlyn/Penzance, anchored off the beach just west off Penzance Harbour.
Then on to Milford Haven, this is a long day, I've set off at 04:00 and not got to Melford Haven until after midnight. Anchored off Chaple Bay, south of the Channel. In 5m of water or less with a thick muddy bottom and good holding.
Then through Jack Sound and the Ramsay Sound, both critical tidal gates to Fishguard.
Anchored close to the shore off a small river, with a very obvious valley.
On to Abersoch, anchored off the old Lifeboat slip as close in as you can get.
Then through Bardsey Island Sound, another tidal gate to Holyhead. Picked up a sailing club mooring. You also need to be careful of the tides approaching Holyhead.
Then up the east side of the IOM to the Mull of Galloway, anchored inside the the bay, to the NW of the light house.
Next stop Sanda Island, Mull of Kintyre.
Then I guess your in home water.
With crew able to take watches, you may be able to do longer days than this old sailor (78 now).
But unless you are luck with the tides, you probably have delay departure to hit slack water, which adds quite a lot of time.
I hope this helps.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I'm unconvinced about the wisdom of an inexperienced sailor sailing in the dark, which is presumably why the stated intention is to coast hop and anchor overnight. Many of us would do what you suggest, but that isn't what the OP is asking about.

I am convinced on the wisdom of smartly and intelligently pushing ones limits. The OP is free to ignore posts in the thread, it doesn't need policing or being pointed out.

ridgy

Visit site
Sounds like a the OP should consider taking a delivery skipper or other experienced person to help expand their horizons of what is possible. Could be a long job otherwise.

ashtead

Visit site
Some friends of ours sailing Polaris of Helvetia left Haslar and ended up in Largs and have posted a number of utube vids. I’m sure many others have done likewise so if looking for general advice on stop offs their site might be worth a look plus of course Concerto in his westerly who I had pleasure of meeting at Soton boat show . If you pm him he might be able to give suggestions but he has also filmed his progress which might be of use, in June I would do Portsmouth Lymington,next day to Portland then to Brixham and thereafter on to Dartmouth . Next legs rather depend on appetite really but Plymouth mayflower say . Rather depends on one weather and need for rest etc. don’t push too hard though in a new boat I suggest.

Suzi B

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies - this is all really helpful.

In an ideal world we'd just go for it and do longer sails but given that the boat's new to us and only one of us is experienced (and even then with more crewing experience than skippering) we'd rather not sail through the night unless we have to. Also, while we'd like to get there fairly quickly we're not going to be stuck to a particularl deadline so if it takes us a bit longer it's not the end of the world.
Taking on a delivery skipper would be out of the question financially but also the trip will be a chance to get to know the boat.

mrangry

Visit site
Sorry I cant help with overnight stops but I sailed from Cowes to Ardrossan in February this year bringing a friends boat up with no planned stops. Due to fuel contamination we did however stop briefly in Salcombe to clean the fuel tank and change filters. The tidal gates have already been mentioned by others and as Robhi has said, dont underestimate the tidal gate at Mull of Galloway as this has caught me out in the past.

I found the first leg heading west to lands end a slog but once round the corner was lucky enough to have decent wind from the south.