The looe Brighton-Gosport

Jackattack92

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Last leg of my delivery trip from Ipswich to the Solent.

Last leg tomorrow hopefully is Brighton to Gosport.

Would the conditions tomorrow be okay for The Looe Channel? Hoping to be there around 14:00. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jackattack92

Visit site
With the wind in the north and at that time I think you'll be fine. Been quite squally lately but forecast looks fair...
Thank you very much, saves an up wind passage to Portsmouth on the Outter route. Very squally, I got caught entering Brighton yesterday with 29kt gusts!

FairweatherDave

Visit site
You have a cracking day for the sail. Perfect conditions for a quick trip. After launching the boat at Shoreham after winter maintenance that's my perfect timing for the Looe channel. But if unfamiliar with the area Rotrax is right to point out the submarine barrier.

Jackattack92

Visit site
You have a cracking day for the sail. Perfect conditions for a quick trip. After launching the boat at Shoreham after winter maintenance that's my perfect timing for the Looe channel. But if unfamiliar with the area Rotrax is right to point out the submarine barrier.
That’s what I like to hear! I’ve been through the middle channel before but never the inshore route. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Jackattack92

Visit site
Depending on the tide it might get a bit lively, but with a North wind you wont have a problem.

Remember the gap in the submarine barrier just off Southsea Pier-saves a bit of time if the tide is OK for your depth.
Thanks rotrax, I think I will try it. Only draw 1.1 so will see how the trip pans out.

Mark-1

Visit site
Thanks rotrax, I think I will try it. Only draw 1.1 so will see how the trip pans out.

I often go that way because I find it more interesting, but it only saves you about one cable and the trade off is you get less tidal assist. (Assuming the tide is with you.)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I often go that way because I find it more interesting, but it only saves you about one cable and the trade off is you get less tidal assist. (Assuming the tide is with you.)
Never measured it by distance, but the time from the looe chanel to our Club in Gosport is faster by using the gap in the barrier. I will check the logs when we get back to the boat. Not too accurate, as if we go around the Owers, its because the weather is bad, so it would take more time anyway.

It is a regular trip for us, so we are very familiar with it. Going around the end of the Fort is surely longer? Simple angles tell me that.

Mark-1

Visit site
Never measured it by distance, but the time from the looe chanel to our Club in Gosport is faster by using the gap in the barrier. I will check the logs when we get back to the boat. Not too accurate, as if we go around the Owers, its because the weather is bad, so it would take more time anyway.

It is a regular trip for us, so we are very familiar with it. Going around the end of the Fort is surely longer? Simple angles tell me that.

Yeah, as you know, there are three ways: The gap off the pier, the Dolphin Gap or South of the Fort. (Shortest to longest, North to South.)

I reckon that, *if* you go South of the Roway (most people do IME) rather than over the Winner, there is very little difference between the two gaps in the barrier and I reckon that saving is more than offset by the extra tide through the Dolphin Gap. (Assuming the tide is favorable.)

It's far from critical, there's very little in it but this is YBW and I had an opinion to share!

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Yeah, as you know, there are three ways: The gap off the pier, the Dolphin Gap or South of the Fort. (Shortest to longest, North to South.)

I reckon that, *if* you go South of the Roway (most people do IME) rather than over the Winner, there is very little difference between the two gaps in the barrier and I reckon that saving is more than offset by the extra tide through the Dolphin Gap. (Assuming the tide is favorable.)

It's far from critical, there's very little in it but this is YBW and I had an opinion to share!
There's the inshore around Selsey and the inshore north end of the submarine barrier...the only reason to go close in at Southsea is as spectator sport, and to make yourself a target for the fishermen casting off the end of the pier. We used to take that route to wave at my daughter on the beach 😄.

Jackattack92

Visit site
Made it through, arrived an hour earlier than expected so had some tide pushing me through. Initially on the West side it was pretty calm but after going through the markers it churned up a bit but nothing to worry about. Agree that only use it in right conditions. Thanks for saving me the dog leg all :)