Beaches with pubs i can anchor off in the summer nearish to Portsmouth.

dancrane

Visit site
"...the New Inn...closed permanently."

That really is dreadful and reflects dismally on how things change unhappily, driven by unrelated large-scale economics. Twenty Isle Of Wight Pubs Under Threat As Stonegate Issues Profit Warning

To my mind, any way The New Inn might be reopened, (and it has been closed so many times before) will be worth pursuing.

Happy memories of trips by car to The Old House at Home, Chidham, and knowledge of the extremely rustic walk to get there from the Thorney Channel, may be enough to persuade me to buy another boat. ;)

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
I think someone mentioned Seaview up the thread.

By chance I was in Brading Haven yesterday and walked over to take a look.

Looked lovely, although the few times I've been there it was pretty lumpy, even when you'd think it would be flat.

Pub is called the old Fort. When I was there yesterday at lowish tide it was rocky but there was enough sand in largish areas to describe it as a beach. Looking at Google earth I'm less sure!1000010872.jpg

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
I think someone mentioned Seaview up the thread. Pub is called the old Fort. When I was there yesterday at lowish tide it was rocky but there was enough sand in largish areas to describe it as a beach.
Seaview is one of my favourite places, I've been going back for fifty years.

In high season the area off Nettlestone Point can be absolutely festooned with club/local moorings, so I'm not sure it's perfect for anchoring.

It surely is lovely though. I think it's mostly clean sand outside the rocks.

53669157414_ec1eb90b39_c.jpg

53669198599_a423b3bc24_c.jpg

dancrane

Visit site
How difficult is it to visit Bosham by boat?

I sailed my dinghy from the club there in the 1980s and I've been back by car many times. The flat firm ground beside the Anchor Bleu looks ideal for stopping to visit the pub, assuming you have shallow draft and can dry out...

...but I always had the feeling that just turning up and stopping really isn't allowed there. I bet it's expensive to tie up beside the quay. So how does one visit Bosham?

53680492370_a5b92a26c1_c.jpg

(Gorgeous aerial photo by Surrey Visuals 2021)

Elessar

Visit site

I sailed my dinghy from the club there in the 1980s and I've been back by car many times. The flat firm ground beside the Anchor Bleu looks ideal for stopping to visit the pub, assuming you have shallow draft and can dry out...

...but I always had the feeling that just turning up and stopping really isn't allowed there. I bet it's expensive to tie up beside the quay. So how does one visit Bosham?

Very. Dinghy at high tide basically.

Mark-1

Visit site

I've never done it, I usually pick up a bouy, but I *think* you just phone tbe Harbour master if you want to lean on the wall by the slipway. I occasionally see boats doing that but not often so i doubt they'd ever fail to have room.

I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't just put your nose in near tbe pub but it looks very shallow so I suspect you wouldn't get very close which leaves a muddy walk, amd perhaps the mud is deep and soft, I'm not sure. I've never seem anyone walk on it, except at the causeway, obvs.

Website says:

Bosham

There is visitor berthing in the Bosham Channel either on a mooring or alongside the drying quayside. Contact ‘Bosham Quay Master’ on VHF channel 14 or call 01243 573336 to be allocated a mooring or to come alongside the quay

Visiting Vessels - Chichester Harbour Conservancy