Garmin Homeport

westward

Visit site
I have two Garmin GPSMAP 4008 plotters on my boat. Up till now I have used the Garmin Homeport app on a PC to do route planning. As Homeport is discontinued, does anyone have a suggestion for how to do route planning? The only way I have of communicating with the GPSMAPs is by SD card. The Garmin app Active Captain only runs on phone operating systems and I don't know of any phones which take SD cards. In any case, I can't imagine doing an ocean route plan on the tiny screen of a phone.

LiftyK

Visit site
I am not familiar with your specific plotter but the way that ActiveCaptain generally works is that you connect your phone/tablet to the plotter and register your maps. The phone then gets its maps wirelessly. I don’t know if this is from Garmin online or directly from your plotter. Either way, you do not need an SD card reader on yourr phone.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I have two Garmin GPSMAP 4008 plotters on my boat. Up till now I have used the Garmin Homeport app on a PC to do route planning. As Homeport is discontinued, does anyone have a suggestion for how to do route planning? The only way I have of communicating with the GPSMAPs is by SD card. The Garmin app Active Captain only runs on phone operating systems and I don't know of any phones which take SD cards. In any case, I can't imagine doing an ocean route plan on the tiny screen of a phone.

Our Samsungs take micro SD cards which slip into a full size SD adaptor.

Refueler

Visit site

The only time I use an SD card with Active Capt is for updates, but most down loads I found can be without SD card ... rest of time transfers / comms are via WiFi ....

But I'm no expert on AC !! in fact I need to use it more to learn more about it ...

westward

Visit site
Our Samsungs take micro SD cards which slip into a full size SD adaptor.
Do you use Active Captain? I understand that the only way it can output route files apart from by WiFi is through email. I guess you could write the email, open it, extract the files and copy them to the SD card. Do you think this would be possible on an Android tablet? I'm always being foiled by limitations on file transfer on my phone.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I am not familiar with your specific plotter but the way that ActiveCaptain generally works is that you connect your phone/tablet to the plotter and register your maps. The phone then gets its maps wirelessly. I don’t know if this is from Garmin online or directly from your plotter. Either way, you do not need an SD card reader on yourr phone.
ActiveCaptain is not compatible with HomePort. HomePort is a display application for Garmin Charts.

p.s. My ancient plotter is going nowhere near the internet. It has a SD card to pass data from and to the PC. One I can virus check.

LiftyK

Visit site
ActiveCaptain is not compatible with HomePort. HomePort is a display application for Garmin Charts.

p.s. My ancient plotter is going nowhere near the internet. It has a SD card to pass data from and to the PC. One I can virus check.
Indeed, but the question was about ActiveCaptain needing an SD card in a phone and I was responding to that question.