Rocna

Poignard

Visit site
They can be difficult to break out. I think I remember Craig Smith saying that one Rocna came up with a substantial portion of the earth's core attached to it.

I believe it. We had some subsidence under the house, and the surveyor said it was probably caused by some yachtsman in New Zealand using a Rocna.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
They can be difficult to break out. I think I remember Craig Smith saying that one Rocna came up with a substantial portion of the earth's core attached to it.

That is a real problem with this type of anchor especially if there's no windlass.At least it keeps me fit.

stevepick

Visit site
mad moles

They do dig deep, the harder they are pulled the deeper they go. But to release just pull in/motor up the rode, and when you have around 1:1 , tie of the chain and let the boats movement ease the anchor out, then pull up. Have bucket, brush and boathook to hand, there will be weed, mud, gloop etc :)

Visit site
On my way out to my yacht I pass game boats that cost well over a million dollars. Most have real CQR's, one has a Sarca. They tend to have the extended bow roller set up and the CQR does look the part. Now I doubt these boats really actually anchor, they tend to be cruising to the shelf and trolling all day and burning $1000 of fuel. Appearance and the look of efficiency is important to some people. Roll bar anchors, except the Ultra just don't have the look.
I'm a fan of modern anchors myself.

I don't imagine there is a lot of mud in a situation like that so your probably right.I can only say that I anchor in mud a lot & my CQR seems super duper......on top of that it's well made being a forging & that ultra thing somebody posted a photo of looked very badly designed & engineered to me.....I like a good engineered product that is fit for purpose & if I had one of those things I might be tempted to tie a ribbon round it to pretty it up ;)

BelleSerene

Visit site
It is supposed to be a joke and a hangover from other threads.
This one was becoming informative and I hope it stays that way.

Yeah, sorry guys - missed that.

I think I remember Craig Smith saying that one Rocna came up with a substantial portion of the earth's core attached to it.

I used to pride myself on transporting a fluke full of Beaulieu mud from Lord Montagu's river back to our mooring, so at least I came away with something for our fiver.

Seagreen

Visit site
OK, so if I was considering changing my now dangerously heavy 45lb CQR for a new generation branded anchor, what table of comparative weights/tonnage is available that can be relied on to down-size the anchor weight for the same, or even improved efficiency?

If anyone would like to have a go, the boat is a 10+ ton long keel trad hulled lady, currently sporting a 45lb CQR. This has always proved wonderful in mud and sand, but doubtful in shingle/hard mud bottoms.

My chief aim is to get a better anchor for less weight and less deck clutter.

GMac

Visit site
OK, so if I was considering changing my now dangerously heavy 45lb CQR for a new generation branded anchor, what table of comparative weights/tonnage is available that can be relied on to down-size the anchor weight for the same, or even improved efficiency?

If anyone would like to have a go, the boat is a 10+ ton long keel trad hulled lady, currently sporting a 45lb CQR. This has always proved wonderful in mud and sand, but doubtful in shingle/hard mud bottoms.

Go to a 35lb new gen. You'll gain better setting habits and no significant load holding lose, in some seabeds you'll get a vastly better holding.

Check physical sizing 1st. Be a bugger to get one and find it won't fit, like more than a few have.

Which New Gen? They are all good, take your pick.

fishermantwo

Visit site

Go to the Rocna site for sizing. Check out their PDF files for making mdf versions so you can have a mockup and see if it fits. Roll bar anchors take up more room if you use a locker, you may also have to pass the anchor through a pull pit past a roller headsail.

Seagreen

Visit site
..Roll bar anchors take up more room if you use a locker, you may also have to pass the anchor through a pull pit past a roller headsail.

Well, thats the biggie. It has to fit on deck aft of the bitts just where the CQR sits now. It cannot (maybe that should be "should not") fit over the bow roller as I have a straight running bowsprit. The current CQR also is a big trip/knee crunching hazard and I'd like to be able to stow (and thus move around to stow) the anchor below for security when the boat's left unattended.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The Spade disassembles for stowing and doesn't have a roll bar. I don't know how much of a job it is to get it apart. Problem is it's the most expensive of them all. (other than an old-gen genuine CQR)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
The Spade disassembles for stowing and doesn't have a roll bar. I don't know how much of a job it is to get it apart. Problem is it's the most expensive of them all. (other than an old-gen genuine CQR)

Not easy to take apart or put back together unless you enjoy that sort of thing. Precise fit of two heavy part is required before the bolt will go through, and then access is tight and Spade recommends reverting to a hammer to get the bolt past the brace.

Do-able, certainly, but no fun.

Pic of spade on bow...

spadesmall.jpg

Visit site
Like the original poster of this question I would like to know from those who have used the new anchor designs what are they like in practise.
Unlike other threads on here at this time I would just like to know from those using Rocna’s and other similar anchors what works regardless of the company and the politics around them.
Although I understand there is no anchor which is the best for every ground I just want an anchor that will work as we intend to use it when we can.
When we bought the boat it had a 35LBS CQR fitted which I believe is too small for a 15 ton, 45 foot boat. I think something over 60 LBS would be more suitable.
It is a lot of money for a bit of metal but not a lot if I can have peace of mind whilst under anchor.

Whoever sold you that boat must have taken the proper anchor with them! Both my last two boats ( 34 -36 ft 6 tonnes ) have had a 35lb CQR supplied by the maker so yours clearly needs something much bigger. Pal with a 12.5 tonne boat uses a Fortress 37 and swears by it. Has worked well every time I have been on board and has the benefit of being a lot lighter to lift

fishermantwo

Visit site

The Ultra is the most expensive around here. I made a timber mock up of a Spade to test whether it would be practical on my yacht with a bow anchor well. Not having a roll bar is a plus but the shank was still a bit of a problem. The Ultra which is just an updated version of a Spade has a very rocna shaped shank and is an easier fit. I reckon the Spade would be the ultimate but its just awkward.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Not easy to take apart or put back together unless you enjoy that sort of thing. Precise fit of two heavy part is required before the bolt will go through, and then access is tight and Spade recommends reverting to a hammer to get the bolt past the brace.

Do-able, certainly, but no fun.

Pic of spade on bow...

spadesmall.jpg

Jealous - we need a new bow roller. We have to unclip our Spade from the pulpit every time and manipulate it into dropping position - but it obviously sits beautifully on the right bow roller. Did you drill the shank for a pin, or if not what holds it in place?

- W