Rocna

clyst

Visit site
Now I am confused . Not wishing to start another "anchor" thead but having just spent an eyewatering £350 on a "rocna" have I wasted my money ? What I'm after is people with personal experience of these anchors.

Seven Spades

Visit site
No I think the conclusion was that all modern anchors are an improvement on traditional anchors. So in reality it won't make much difference if you buy a Manson, Spade or Rocna.

Most of the really long thread was concerned with the conduct of one manufacturer who instead of espousing to good features of his product attacked the integrity of others.

Most people think it is ethically wrong to do this.

clyst

Visit site
I dont want comparisome tests or stories just experiences / confidence with the anchor.
Is it too soon??

GMac

Visit site
You could have saved some money and lost no performance by getting a Supreme instead but No you haven't wasted your money.

The Rocna is a good anchor and works well.

Yes I've had lots of personal experience with it in many many ways from building prototypes of it through to testing it and many others, even used one for a while on my boat as part of our testing programme. Same boat, same rode, same driver, same anchoring techniques in the same spots. The Rocna did better than most, not all but definitely most.

No need to stress. The current biffo is more to do with business morals, or maybe lack there of, and some people's lack of ability to man up, than the product itself.

Mark-1

Visit site
Now I am confused . Not wishing to start another "anchor" thead but having just spent an eyewatering £350 on a "rocna" have I wasted my money ? What I'm after is people with personal experience of these anchors.

You've got one, you tell us. Is it better than what you had before, and if so how?

Conachair

Visit site

It's a very good anchor.It will be hard to find anyone using one who wouldn't agree.
I spent 6 months up a river changing direction 4 times a day with a fierce ebb and didn't budge.

Just don't back up too fast, they dig in quick. ;)

JayBee

Visit site
It seems to me that these anchor threads are heavily populated by wind up artists, for whom the merits of one anchor over another are totally incidental to the sport of provoking their fellow posters.

To answer the OP's query:

I have had a Kiwi manufactured 20kg Rocna for four years. It replaced a CQR of the same weight. It easily outperforms both the CQR and my 45lb genuine Bruce. We have spent a lot of time at anchor in fair weather and foul, in many different anchorages from the Faeroes to the Mediterranean.

I would say that any "new generation" anchor is likely to perform better than the designs of yesteryear, although the Danforth/Fortress types are pretty good in soft ground.

I agree with James Jermain's sentiments about the pulled thread and will say nothing more here on the subject of anchors, ever, honest.

:)

rivonia

Visit site
Hi, yes the ROCNA is very very good. We sold our CQR which was not up to our expectations and after much debate and questioning bought the ROCNA. This is our main anchor and has never dragged in two years use. We also have a fortress and a small danforth.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the ROCNA sets.

Fair winds

Peter

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
As was said in a post inside the first 100 of the pulled thread, no owner of a Rocna has been known to complain that it was no good. The arguments in that thread have been about something else entirely. My Rocna has been in constant use for the past three seasons and has proved to be excellent. I have discussed Rocnas with many other owners and all agree that their performance exceeds that of whatever they had before. A thread on the CA site recently attracted a number of posts from satisfied users, with no negatives.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Gludy v. Rocna [2011] would have been entertaining!

:):):):):):)
In fact I have received superb service from a number of companies involved with Suliere - Spectra Water Makers - Lewmar - Mastervolt - Raymarine- LopoLoght -OceanView and some others have all been praised by me on the multihull4us web site. In fact, thinking about it, I have only had praise for every equipment supplier I have contacted with any sort of issue.

clyst

Visit site
Thanks for your input chaps it looks as if my money has been well spent as I thought.

SHUG

Visit site
What in god's name is a Rocna??
Never seen one one. Is it a small furry animal from Australia or is it a new, highly promoted brand of chocolate treats? Whatever it is , people seem quite passionate about it so sex is clearly involved. Please don't tell me the truth otherwise I may become another Rocna Ranter and there are enough out there already.
Whatever it is, it seems bloody expensive for what you get and in the end of the day you just throw it overboard into the water. And where is the sponsor CR Smith double glazing involved anyway? Yachties.... strange breed ...eh???