Less than welcoming boat clubs

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If they do not have visitors moorings, what else can you do. Why should they have them anyway. We do not have them at our club.
If you arrive expecting to see visitors moorings - Then I say- "We don't have any"- You now have to go else where. --You cannot say that the club was anti social, because you never got to go inside. So your comment is unfounded, as it is only based on the fact it does not have visitors moorings.
But you, in you unbiased wisdom, embelished the post as being told to b..r off ?
Thanks for the Trustpilot review ;)
Quite a lot of clubs don't have visitors moorings per se, but will make club facilities available if they are vacant. At one location in the Clyde, we arrived after a long & rather tiring sail & were stuffing around trying to scope out the anchorage when we got a call on the radio - a club member was leaving his mooring & offered it to us (I knew I'd be glad of that huge boat name on our dodgers). It was very welcome. An insistence that there was no charge when we wandered into the club house, so we did our "back up" and put a fair mooring fee into the RNLI box.

Keith 66

Visit site
So, " Who the "£$% let you in? is not recommended then?
I will bear that in mind. :rolleyes: :D :D :D
I have known some members use a similar approach, it does the club no favours.

Likewise some visitors seem to think they have a god given right to be somewhere. I had this some years ago popped down the club one evening & clocked a bike ride past, didnt recognise the rider, he rode between two boats & disapeared, out of the way corner of the club, I wandered over & found him looking at a yacht that wasnt his. Asked him what he was doing there?
Bloke got very arsy very fast & it nearly became a punch up.
As it happened the same bloke was in the yard next door & used our club as a visitor/ temp member.
Very shortly afterwards he was chucked out for something else. Not sorry to see the back of him!

Sybarite

Visit site
I wouldn't be in a club that would have me as a member. :)
It reminds me of a boy who wanted a fancy bike and prayed hard for it. Then he realised that God didn't work that way. So, he decided that it would be more efficient to steal a bike and then ask for forgiveness afterwards...

It was a principle that I applied sometimes in business. If a tax advisor told me that I couldn't do such a thing I would ask him what was the maximum risk I faced in terms of penalties. I then compared this with the potential gain of what I envisaged.

So I would have ignored the person and anchored anyway. If somebody seriously objected I would have asked for proof of his authority.

The Q

Visit site
Never been a member of a club with specific visitors moorings. If you were to phone / email ahead, someone might arrange a spare mooring.
At my current clubs A few times a year a sailing group visit might occur and if possible they'll moor on the club frontage.
However this is in use 3 or 4 evenings a week in the summer, for normal club sailing / sailing school / paddle boarding / radio controlled yachting, plus every Sunday, and about 20% of Saturdays.