Rocna

GMac

Visit site
The new generation, as they are roughly referred to, are a step ahead of the rest. Mainly for 2 reasons, one of which won't be used by many but the other by all.

1 - They hold higher loads. We work on a 'average' of 20-25% working on a weight for weight basis. Now while that is all good, most will never need it but it's handy to know you have that if you get caught short. Some do exceed 25% easily but that's only in some bottom types so the 20-25 is an average across a range.

2 - Setting, they are just far superior at it. Most of the new gens will set inside their own length in most bottom types. That is the biggest bonus we see from the new ones over the old.

The above is working on you having a decent rode between the anchor and the boat. There are a few, now older design anchors that are damn good, the Fortress being just one. And there are a few speciality ones.

I've used them all a lot, we sell them all and I don't make anchors nor get anything from anchor makers bar the odd bottle of rum at Xmas and a bit grief for not saying one is better than another, mainly as no one can actually say that.

I have within 20mts of where I sit around 600 anchors of all shapes, sizes and brands I can choose from. My own boat has a new gen anchor on the bow and in the aft locker is a new gen secondary. I wouldn't even slow down as a walked past any of the older ones.

And I'd agree with you Nostrodamus, a 35lb CQR is small for your boat. Go for a 45lb new gen and you'll have twice the anchor. A 60 is probably a bit on the large side, especially if talking new gen. But if it takes a 60 to give you a good nights sleep then a 60 is the best anchor for you.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
GMac,
Thank you for your explanation which helped a lot.
Just aside from this would a much heavier anchor cause problems with an electric windlass (Lewmar Ocean 3) and would there be a lot more drain on the batteries as a result hauling out a heavier anchor?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
When we bought the boat it had a 35LBS CQR fitted which I believe is too small for a 15 ton, 45 foot boat. I think something over 60 LBS would be more suitable.

I bought a 25kg (55lb) Rocna a couple of years ago and have been delighted with it. I reckon this would be the right size for your boat.

Provided the hoop fits your bow roller it is carryable by one person. I would never go back to the CQRs and Deltas I have used in the past.

Richard

mawm

Visit site
I'm supremely happy with my new generation anchor. Certainly far better then the older secure type. It sets instantly and has never dragged - even with 65 knots over the deck. I now lie awake at night wondering if the rode is strong enough.....I'll probably upgrade that next.

GMac

Visit site
GMac,
Thank you for your explanation which helped a lot.
Just aside from this would a much heavier anchor cause problems with an electric windlass (Lewmar Ocean 3) and would there be a lot more drain on the batteries as a result hauling out a heavier anchor?
Happy to help bring some sanity and reality back into anchoring discussions. I shouldn't think you'd have any winch issues. Probably a smidgen slower is about all you'd see, if even that, probably the same with battery drain, negligible at most. We aren't talking huge weight increases really.
I'm supremely happy with my new generation anchor. Certainly far better then the older secure type. It sets instantly and has never dragged - even with 65 knots over the deck. I now lie awake at night wondering if the rode is strong enough.....I'll probably upgrade that next.
In all our testing we haven't seen an anchor out do a chain, the anchors have always let go 1st. I suppose if you subscribe to the monster anchor lite rode theory, something 99% don't, it is possible. Also if you have some chain of low quality, mainly all out of a eastern country, it is possible but I'd expect you'd see warning of an impeding total chain failure approaching. Most chains from that area of manufacturing tend to stretch early (i.e. sooner than there specifications usually suggest) so I'd expect someone to sit thru a decent blow then notice the chain not working on the windlass the next morning. By decent blow I mean 30-40kts, we have seen a couple of 10mm eastern made chains change shape after a 35fter and a 39fter had 25-30kts overnight but were still a fair way away from total failure.

I know one anchor outfit suggests there gear will out do chains but we nor anyone else has seen any evidence to suggest that's true or even close. We have tried to see if that's right but never got close to even stretching a chain. Mind you we have only used good quality EU built chains.

If anything the most likely failure point, assuming the anchor is very well set or stuck in a rock, would be the anchor to chain connection, most being used a LOT weaker than most think and a LOT weaker than even most low grade chains. But before that connection lets go your winches clutches should have done their job and the rode is running out. There will be a fair few things letting go before the chain will, assuming the anchor is stuck in a rock and hasn't already let go itself.

I wouldn't panic mawm, if you have sat thru 65kts and the chain still works fine in your winch it means it hasn't even changed shape let alone got close to a failure point. It also means you chain to anchor connection fitting isn't to shabby either.

BelleSerene

Visit site
If the OP bought his new hook hoping for sound, unworried sleep whilst at anchor, he may well be disappointed. Rocnas are notoriously noisy anchors. This racket is transmitted up the chain by what is known technically as Craigian harmonics, a sort of high-pitched "me-me" noise.

Never encountered this in my time with a Rocna, and it sounds far-fetched - a joke even.

In any case you should use a rope to snub over the bow roller and you shouldn't get any noise from any anchor.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Never encountered this in my time with a Rocna, and it sounds far-fetched - a joke even.

In any case you should use a rope to snub over the bow roller and you shouldn't get any noise from any anchor.

It is supposed to be a joke and a hangover from other threads.
This one was becoming informative and I hope it stays that way.

fishermantwo

Visit site
A genuine one is well made & I can't imagine a better design for mud which is what they were intended for presumably.......use the anchor in the wrong situation & what do you expect!:rolleyes:

On my way out to my yacht I pass game boats that cost well over a million dollars. Most have real CQR's, one has a Sarca. They tend to have the extended bow roller set up and the CQR does look the part. Now I doubt these boats really actually anchor, they tend to be cruising to the shelf and trolling all day and burning $1000 of fuel. Appearance and the look of efficiency is important to some people. Roll bar anchors, except the Ultra just don't have the look.
I'm a fan of modern anchors myself.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Can anyone explain why the new generation and indeed the old anchors are so expensive or are we as the end users just getting ripped off as usual?

Monique

Visit site
I have a ROCNA SS with 75 Mtrs of 8 mm SS chain and a further 75 meters of anchor rode braided onto the chain... courtesy of PO who had a religious thing about anchors and anchoring.

NEVER EVER dragged. I like it!:D:D