Rocna

Visit site
Now I am confused . Not wishing to start another "anchor" thead but having just spent an eyewatering £350 on a "rocna" have I wasted my money ? What I'm after is people with personal experience of these anchors.

had mine a year. Seems to be made reasonable and to work well. Hasnt been used "in extremis" yet but no reason to think it wont live up to the claims.

Only adverse comment is that like all roll hoop anchors, it's a complete PITA storage wise both on the bow roller and in the anchor locker.

If I did not already have a Fortress copy as a spare anchor, I would have gone for the Fortress instead of the Rocna since a pals experience of one with a 12 tonne boat has been so good.

stevepick

Visit site
Its an excellent anchor. It sets fast, in almost any seabed ( I have used mine in a variety of west scotland anchorages) and stays. Worst conditions were last year in 50knots +, no problems. It has worked first time, every time I have anchored in canna, which is a good test for any hook. I would buy one again (for the next boat) and wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it.

Caladh

Visit site
So pleased.....

...to see this thread as I also have just bought a Rocna and was wondering whether I'd just wasted my money AND had been following the various other Rocna threads. I will also report back later in the year regarding how I found its holding and performance.

cloud7

Visit site
rocna

Seems to be these are the anchor to have , what size would suit a 39 ft beneteau,

would the 15kg do the job, thanks.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
What I'm after is people with personal experience of these anchors.

Got one, Rocna 10 on a Contessa 32. Works much much better than the phough anchor I did have.

I have no reason to believe it works any better or any worse to the other new-gen anchors such as spade and mason but they are all a significant step forward in anchor design.

bluedragon

Visit site
I have no reason to believe it works any better or any worse to the other new-gen anchors such as spade and mason but they are all a significant step forward in anchor design.

Agreed. We went from CQR type to Delta to Manson. and although I haven't used a Rocna I would expect it to perform as well as the best out there. Our criteria (unlike the anchor test gurus and the mfrs) is how well it sets first time in a variety of seabeds. I have never been (and probably will never be) anchored in the ultimate storm, though if the test data on all these is to be believed, the foredeck will come off before the anchor breaks out :eek:

macd

Visit site
If the OP bought his new hook hoping for sound, unworried sleep whilst at anchor, he may well be disappointed. Rocnas are notoriously noisy anchors. This racket is transmitted up the chain by what is known technically as Craigian harmonics, a sort of high-pitched "me-me" noise. My advice would be to sleep in a stern berth is you have one. And definitely don't log on to any more anchor threads.

Safe anchoring.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Just curious, what type of steel did you use? I know this is contentious in the current 'discussion' but a serious question.
A

I used thick mild steel and made the shank an I beam.I also made it larger than the recomended size for my boat so there's a safety margin.

Garold

Visit site
Had a Rocna on my boat (40 foot catamaran) for nearly a year. Not really deployed it in difficult situations but it seems to hold our cat well in mud and sandy bottoms.

We need to be bit careful winching it in the last few metres because it seems to flick up and get caught on some of our bow wires.

However, I have posted on another forum that my purchase of a Rocna anchor does not in any way align me with the guy that promotes it. I just like the product.

By the by, we had a Delta on our last catamaran and were happy. Unfortunately our current boat was supplied with an undersized Delta and we dragged the first couple of times we used it. I am sure that a larger Delta would have done the job too, but I decided to purchase a newer design in the belief that even with anchors, progress in design is a constant.

Unlike others, I like anchor threads. It's nice to shed 'anchor anxieties' with a gentle post.

Cheers

Garold

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Like the original poster of this question I would like to know from those who have used the new anchor designs what are they like in practise.
Unlike other threads on here at this time I would just like to know from those using Rocna’s and other similar anchors what works regardless of the company and the politics around them.
Although I understand there is no anchor which is the best for every ground I just want an anchor that will work as we intend to use it when we can.
When we bought the boat it had a 35LBS CQR fitted which I believe is too small for a 15 ton, 45 foot boat. I think something over 60 LBS would be more suitable.
It is a lot of money for a bit of metal but not a lot if I can have peace of mind whilst under anchor.

Conachair

Visit site
Like the original poster of this question I would like to know from those who have used the new anchor designs what are they like in practise.
Unlike other threads on here at this time I would just like to know from those using Rocna’s and other similar anchors what works regardless of the company and the politics around them.
Although I understand there is no anchor which is the best for every ground I just want an anchor that will work as we intend to use it when we can.
When we bought the boat it had a 35LBS CQR fitted which I believe is too small for a 15 ton, 45 foot boat. I think something over 60 LBS would be more suitable.
It is a lot of money for a bit of metal but not a lot if I can have peace of mind whilst under anchor.

I had a 35lb cqr which dragged once in a while but still too often, replaced it for 20kg rocna which has behaved perfectly so far. Boat is 10t 33' steel long keel.

Just looked at cqr prices - CRUMBS:eek::eek: Why would anyone buy a new one of those these days??