How many of us actually have MOB or locator beacons?

noelex

Visit site
Happy to be corrected on this next point, but my recollection from the CR affair was that the PLBs never gave a location, just a rough indication based on satellites being pinged.
Thanks for the clarification.

In my view, the fact that they could send a signal from their PLB and not from their EPIRB shows the value of having a PLB readily available. All modern PLB units have a built in GPS and send the position in the same way as an EPIRB, but they may have had one of the earlier PLB units without a GPS unit.

You do need to keep the PLB aerial vertical and not many realise this detail. Ideally it should be mounted on the lifejacket so this happens automatically.

Unfortunately, anyone thrown into cold water stands only a slim chance of either a PLB or an EPIRB making a difference. An AIS scart gives some extra security particularly in a MOB situation where the main vessel is not disabled and can effect a prompt rescue, but may not have helped in this case.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
1 PLB for the skipper, 3 x AIS for the 3 crew life jackets, an EPIRB for the boat and a hand-held VHF for the dinghy or life raft.

srm

Visit site
There are flags for distress - but I wouldn’t hold much hope of anyone in the know being close enough to spot NC flag who wasn’t already close enough to see your predicament!
When I sold my boat earlier this year code flags N C went with her. These are ship sized flags that were bought in the mid 70's with the idea that they could help identify me if I had been firing off distress signals. Fortunately, still unused.
I doubt that they would be recognised as a distress signal in this electronic day and age.

bedouin

Visit site
Happy to be corrected on this next point, but my recollection from the CR affair was that the PLBs never gave a location, just a rough indication based on satellites being pinged. CR initial communication with Storm Force was what narrowed down the search, not the PLBs.

The point I am making, is that PLBs are not a substitute for EPIRBs which work independently from a human after launching (or even independently if part of a hydrostatic release system) and that a PLB needs to be operated in a particular way to be effective.
Terminology changes.

A few years ago PLB was used for something that transmitted on the 121MHz - as used by SAR and might be picked up by a passing plane.

These days most "PLBs" use the same technology as EPIRBS. The have GPS built in and transmit to satellites on 406MHz. They only differ from EPIRBs in that they are smaller, for the most part they don't have automatic activation (i.e. you have to be conscious and press a button for them to function) and they have shorter battery life.

In answer to the OP - I now regard them as a very important piece of equipment, behind only VHF and Lifejackets in my priority list. But everyone is different and the nature of sailing you do will influence your personal priorities.

KeithMD

Visit site
A large percentage of EPIRB or PLB signals are false alarms.

Which reminds me ... thirty years ago I was working for a small software company that had its office on a Science Park somewhere in Yorkshire, a clear 16 miles from the coast. But we just happened to share the Science Park with a maker of EPIRBS. The nature of my own work meant working evenings and weekend. We were quite often distracted by the sound of a Coastguard helicopter flying low overheard. The reason? While the maker was closed for the night or weekend, one of the EPIRBS in the maker's unit had somehow activated itself, with nobody there to turn it off. But the Coastguard had to respond to every call, even if the position was clearly wrong.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Terminology changes.

A few years ago PLB was used for something that transmitted on the 121MHz - as used by SAR and might be picked up by a passing plane.

The 121.5 MHz point you make is irrelevant. 121 MHz was picked up by satellites until 2009, when ability to detect was switched off and only 406 MHz was detected, Replacement satellites do not have the 121 detection capability. The IMO mandated removal of 121 MHz a long time ago, and UK coded yachts were notified. Since the CR affair was 2016, they would not have had the older style 121 capable PLBs, which were long gone in the leisure world. Hence my observations still stand that a PLB is not a suitable replacement for an EPIRB, plus PLBs have weaknesses that users should be aware of. We all know what type PLB is being discussed here.

bedouin

Visit site
Since the CR affair was 2016, they would not have had the older style 121 capable PLBs, which were long gone in the leisure world. Hence my observations still stand that a PLB is not a suitable replacement for an EPIRB,
I don't recall the CR affair in 2016 but there was an example in 2014 of a yacht that lost it's keel and capsized. It carried EPIRB and PLB but the EPIRB did not activate, it was only the PLBs - they were 406 style PLBs that included GPS so they could give an accurate position immediately rather than having to rely on the satellite-derived positions as you had to with the older models. They also did include 121 signals.

So you are right - PLBs are not a replacement for EPIRBS - they are better in many cases. Had they relied on the EPIRB the boat would not have been found. Unfortunately it was too late anyway but at least the PLBs did their job (just)

AFAIK all PLBs continue to have the ability to transmit on 121 as that is used for final mile location by SAR.

I think it is very important to get your facts right when posting on a thread that may influence someone in making a safety-critical decision.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
… AFAIK all PLBs continue to have the ability to transmit on 121 as that is used for final mile location by SAR.

I think it is very important to get your facts right when posting on a thread that may influence someone in making a safety-critical decision.
As do EPIRBs transmit on 121, but my facts are correct, PLBs that transmit on 406 are prone to being less robust as an EPIRB because the antenna must be held upright by the person.

bedouin

Visit site
As do EPIRBs transmit on 121, but my facts are correct, PLBs that transmit on 406 are prone to being less robust as an EPIRB because the antenna must be held upright by the person.
I think you are a little out of date - the latest generation of PLBs are much better in that. e,g the PLB3 mentioned above that auto deploys and auto activates. I am not aware of any currently on the market that require the antenna to be held upright by the person - they are all designed to work when attached to a lifejacket

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I think you are a little out of date - the latest generation of PLBs are much better in that. e,g the PLB3 mentioned above that auto deploys and auto activates. I am not aware of any currently on the market that require the antenna to be held upright by the person - they are all designed to work when attached to a lifejacket

You may be right, and tech does improve. In my case, at the time of CR I only had a McMurdo Fast Find, which was secured to my LJ belt. As a result of the CR reported issues, I bought an EPIRB for my own boat.

bedouin

Visit site
You may be right, and tech does improve. In my case, at the time of CR I only had a McMurdo Fast Find, which was secured to my LJ belt. As a result of the CR reported issues, I bought an EPIRB for my own boat.
I used to have one of those - not even with GPS - the current generation are much better / cheaper / smaller and easier to use.

For the sailing I do MOB is by far the most likely reason I might need the device - and an EPIRB on the boat doesn't help much with that.