Questions i can't find answers to on the internet,Please help

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
I feel ive learnt such a lot from you guys over the last few weeks, but there is some stuff i need clarification on if you can help me.

1. Shore Power-Ive gathered this is the same as EHU (electric hook up )on a motorhome, a cable you would plug into the side of the boat , and then into an electricity supply at the marina . Does this then mean that the 3 pin sockets dont work when you are out at sea?

2. Does anybody have an progress pictures of antifouling there boat ?For instance before and afters and maybe a bit of tuition inbetween, so i can see if it is something me and my daughters could do.

3. Im going to start looking at boats with a view to buy early next year, Ive a keen eye, but i need to know what it is im looking for when i view them. Obviously the things that would jump out at me would be the interior, state of the galley, etc, but with regards to the boat and mechanics, should i be asking certain questions, and looking out for signs that would tell me the boat hadnt been cared for a great deal. I will use Volvo Paul who comes recommended on here if i feel i have found one i like, so he can do his checks.

4. The TV's lighting etc work from a leisure battery on my motorhome, is this the case on a boat? If so is it charged by the engine?

5. And the biggest help of all, (im willing to pay the going rate), would anyone be able to take me out on there boat, for an hour or so , just so that I can get a feel of the various models, sizes, layouts etc etc, even if its only an elimination or put on my favorite list . Thankyou.I'm in worthing will travel upto Southampton one way and Eastbourne the opposite direction. However if i dont get many offers i will travel the country. Thanks.

CLB

Visit site
1. Yes that correct, unless you fit an invertor

2. See here: https://issuu.com/motorboatowner/docs/motorboat_owner_june_2014

3. See here: http://www.motorboatowner.co.uk/uploads/magazine/47-landscape.pdf

4. Yes that is correct

5. Your best bet is to travel around the brokerage yards and get on as many boats as you can. Find the style that you like, sports cruiser, flybridge, aft cabin,, displacement cruiser, etc etc, then narrow down to specfic model. I doubt you will get enough offers on here to see the full array of possibilities.

ICTM

Visit site
The Southampton boat show, with various used boat shows running at the same time would be well worth a visit to see a wide variety of boats.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
1. Yes that correct, unless you fit an invertor

2. See here: https://issuu.com/motorboatowner/docs/motorboat_owner_june_2014

3. See here: http://www.motorboatowner.co.uk/uploads/magazine/47-landscape.pdf

4. Yes that is correct

5. Your best bet is to travel around the brokerage yards and get on as many boats as you can. Find the style that you like, sports cruiser, flybridge, aft cabin,, displacement cruiser, etc etc, then narrow down to specfic model. I doubt you will get enough offers on here to see the full array of possibilities.
Yes i understand its a big ask, also underestand if i dont get anyone offering. I feel i could learn so much more if they did lol!

Ian.S

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t bother with the Southampton show itself, spend a couple of days looking around the marinas in the area and the used boat show that is usually held at Swanwick marina.
That’s what I did last year and I got a lot more help and information from going to the used boat show.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I'd suggest finding someone who can work with you to check out various boats, someone that is working for you rather than the seller or broker. They need to be experienced mechanically and as a skipper. Expect to pay a reasonable fee as they're
probably freelance but if they're good it'll save you £££ in the long run.

W.

Momac

Visit site
There are quite a few parallels between caravanning and boating including shore power (I am surprised it isn’t called shore power for caravan site).
With boating (and caravanning) and when away from shore power you do have to have to bear in mind electrical energy consumption which is why I would only want gas cooking . Bigger boats may have generator but you are not looking in that category.
LED lighting helps reduce demand on battery power. The fridge is the biggest demand on batteries.
Yes the engine charges the batteries but it can take three hours running to fully recharge a single domestic battery. You don’t want to be running the diesel engine just to charge the battery as it does the engine no good.
Yes the lights are 12volt and the fridge often dual voltage and yes you can run a TV off the battery just like a caravan.
You can get an inverter to generate a/c from the battery but it’s a waste of energy. For me the absence of mains power on occasions when out of port is no issue.
I carry a few cables of different lengths as the power supply will not necessarily be next to the boat when in a visitor berth.
The S23 you seemed keen on has a domestic battery plus a separate engine starter battery so the starter battery should always be available.

You should always look at the cosmetic condition of the upholstery, cupboards, carpets and cooking appliances yourself as surveyors will not be interested in these. You will need a pre purchase surveyor who will pay particular attention to the hull condition while the engineer will be more focussed on the engine and outdrive. These inspections will also involve a crane which most marinas will have available . None of this is cheap.

I suggest you visit reputable brokerages and would recommend Burton Waters at Lincoln but appreciate that's quite a few miles from you. They are very good at matching people with boats and will not push you into buying.

PilotWolf

Visit site
There are quite a few parallels between caravanning and boating including shore power (I am surprised it isn’t called shore power for caravan site).
With boating (and caravanning) and when away from shore power you do have to have to bear in mind electrical energy consumption which is why I would only want gas cooking . Bigger boats may have generator but you are not looking in that category.
LED lighting helps reduce demand on battery power. The fridge is the biggest demand on batteries.
Yes the engine charges the batteries but it can take three hours running to fully recharge a single domestic battery. You don’t want to be running the diesel engine just to charge the battery as it does the engine no good.
Yes the lights are 12volt and the fridge often dual voltage and yes you can run a TV off the battery just like a caravan.
You can get an inverter to generate a/c from the battery but it’s a waste of energy. For me the absence of mains power on occasions when out of port is no issue.
I carry a few cables of different lengths as the power supply will not necessarily be next to the boat when in a visitor berth.
The S23 you seemed keen on has a domestic battery plus a separate engine starter battery so the starter battery should always be available.

You should always look at the cosmetic condition of the upholstery, cupboards, carpets and cooking appliances yourself as surveyors will not be interested in these. You will need a pre purchase surveyor who will pay particular attention to the hull condition while the engineer will be more focussed on the engine and outdrive. These inspections will also involve a crane which most marinas will have available . None of this is cheap.

I suggest you visit reputable brokerages and would recommend Burton Waters at Lincoln but appreciate that's quite a few miles from you. They are very good at matching people with boats and will not push you into buying.

Some good points but brokers are working for the seller not the buyer. They're probably working on commission so the higher the price they can get the better their commission.

W.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
I'd suggest finding someone who can work with you to check out various boats, someone that is working for you rather than the seller or broker. They need to be experienced mechanically and as a skipper. Expect to pay a reasonable fee as they're
probably freelance but if they're good it'll save you £££ in the long run.
Yes im preparted to do that, can anyone recommend anyone?
W.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t bother with the Southampton show itself, spend a couple of days looking around the marinas in the area and the used boat show that is usually held at Swanwick marina.
That’s what I did last year and I got a lot more help and information from going to the used boat show.

I googled Swannick, and ive missed it Ian, it was last weekend :(

Nosealegsyet

Visit site

Thanks Martyn, thats a great help, Its no bother to me to go back up North lol.....

Ian.S

Visit site
If you are still undecided on which boat to buy, then get to as many used boat shows and marinas as possible, only you will know which boat is for you and once you’ve decided then get help from brokers etc to help find you the best one.

CLB

Visit site
It’s the 16th - 25th September this year, it runs alongside the SIBS. Last week was the motorboat show.��

Used boat shows tend to be a bit hit and miss. Often they are just brokers showing the same stock they had last week, and will have next week. Just go around a few brokers and have a good poke around. You don't need to wait for a boat show. Just say you would like to look on a few different boats to get a feel for what they offer and I'm sure you will get a green light. Thames brokers seem to be good for this and of course there are loads in close proximity. A day tour taking in TBS at Penton, TBS at Bray, Tingdene at Reading, Racecourse at Windsor, Val Wyatt at Wargrave and probably others that IO have forgotten and you will see quite an array of boats. Don't worry about them being inland, many of these boats will be the same that you see in coastal marinas.

CLB

Visit site
Another option is to list:

How much you want to spend
How many people you want to accommodate during the day/overnight
Where you will keep it
How far you are thinking of going (ie just around local area or across open water to foreign climes)
Whether you have any preconceived ideas about boat style (eg a particular model you are drawn to)

and then let us make suggestions. You won't get a unanimous decision by a long way, in fact you may not even get two suggestions that agree, but you will get a shortlist of suitable boats to start looking at. You can then come back ad say things like "I liked X, but it was too small" or I liked Y but it felt too old" and we can home in on alternatives.

Bouba

Visit site
My two cents worth. All boats are exciting and exhilarating out on the open water. How they handle in the tight confines of a marina is of more interest to me.

CLB

Visit site
My two cents worth. All boats are exciting and exhilarating out on the open water. How they handle in the tight confines of a marina is of more interest to me.

I'd have to disagree with that. I have driven some dogs that were borderline dangerous at fast speeds in the wrong hands. At close quarters, all boats can be tamed, it just takes more practice and perseverance with some.