Qualifications required for using a powerboat for paying guests

William_H

Visit site
I basically believe in the system of requirements for commercial operations of both the boat safety standards and the skipper's qualifications. (I would of course coming from a background of aviation safety (bureaucracy) Certainly we see news items of ferries in Asia being overloaded capsizing ansd sinking with tragic results. Obviously no control of safety standards. I reckon if I am paying for a transport service i should be able to expect a standard of safety beyond that of my private sport.
So be it taxis, boats or aircraft the government set licence requirements to maintain that safety standard to an appropriate level. Standards include, health checks and skill checks for operator and vehicle inspections and standards.
As an aside here I have never understood how UBER got into the taxi market bypassing these rules. (Government failure as far as I can see) (yet they seem to get away with it world wide) (call it ride share!!! yeah)
Anyway if anyone goes ahead disregarding rules and he has occasion to claim insurance the company will disown you if they smell commercial operation.
I did for a long time get involved with sail training at our club. Yes I got paid by the hour and on my own boat. it seems that Yachting Australia arranged insurance cover and had a deal with local marine authority. YA inspected the boat. Participants certainly paid for the ride. I never really explored the legalities and insurance concerns, now all in the past. ol'will just waffling

ylop

Visit site
As an aside here I have never understood how UBER got into the taxi market bypassing these rules. (Government failure as far as I can see) (yet they seem to get away with it world wide) (call it ride share!!! yeah)
In the U.K. Uber is just another private hire firm with a convenient way for customers to book, pay etc. really the only unusual aspect is their pricing model where at busy times you pay more - most of the large PH firms on big cities have been forced into 21st century and now have apps to help customers book, see whether “the driver is really on his way” etc.

st599

Visit site
There are some background checks for Private Hire to get a council PH plate. I know for many years most taxis in Newcastle had Berwick PH plates as it was easier and had less backlog.

Refueler

Visit site
In the U.K. Uber is just another private hire firm with a convenient way for customers to book, pay etc. really the only unusual aspect is their pricing model where at busy times you pay more - most of the large PH firms on big cities have been forced into 21st century and now have apps to help customers book, see whether “the driver is really on his way” etc.

Just a bit of drift ... I have stopped using Uber when I travel ....

I have an EU wide Sim and on a trip to Geneva - I was using Uber everyday .. and their watch the car graphic.

Returned home after the trip - later that month I got the mobile bill ... WHAT ???????

Went into the providers shop and asked where they got the 800 euros bill from ....

UBER was the reply.

Phone calls to order - like all other calls - covered by the EU / EEA etc wide Sim. BUT the map function was not based in Geneva - but streaming from Holland .... and incurred surcharges being routed through Geneva services ...

That's last time I ever used Uber ... I'll suffer slightly higher ride charge of 'normal' taxis without the surcharges.

billskip

Visit site
There are some background checks for Private Hire to get a council PH plate. I know for many years most taxis in Newcastle had Berwick PH plates as it was easier and had less backlog.
Sorry about fred Drift OP...but...I see m to remember the government publicly encouraging shared car transport, surly if there was anything illegal about it (or insurance problems) the government should be responsible.
It's my belief anyone that drives the public for hire or reward should hold a PSV license.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I used to know a guy who ran 3 taxis and spent his evenings and weekends spannering, this was in the pre UBER days. PH are nowhere near or weren't regulated and inspected as licensed taxies it is for that reason I have never used a PH or UBER.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Just a bit of drift ... I have stopped using Uber when I travel ....

I have an EU wide Sim and on a trip to Geneva - I was using Uber everyday .. and their watch the car graphic.

Returned home after the trip - later that month I got the mobile bill ... WHAT ???????

Went into the providers shop and asked where they got the 800 euros bill from ....

UBER was the reply.

Phone calls to order - like all other calls - covered by the EU / EEA etc wide Sim. BUT the map function was not based in Geneva - but streaming from Holland .... and incurred surcharges being routed through Geneva services ...

That's last time I ever used Uber ... I'll suffer slightly higher ride charge of 'normal' taxis without the surcharges.
That seems to be a mobile phone data contract issue and yet you’re blaming UBER?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Sorry - I think that post is an argument to suit your opinion.
The death rates from car accidents in the UK have halved since legislation brought in, death rates from industrial accidents are more than halved, and railway deaths have gone to a mere fraction.

I dont love pointless bureaucracy anymore than anyone else - but getting every worker and customer home alive and uninjured is worth sensible regulation sensibly applied

Refueler

Visit site
The death rates from car accidents in the UK have halved since legislation brought in, death rates from industrial accidents are more than halved, and railway deaths have gone to a mere fraction.

I dont love pointless bureaucracy anymore than anyone else - but getting every worker and customer home alive and uninjured is worth sensible regulation sensibly applied

I works in an industry that has potential to obliterate whole cities let along individual deaths. So I appreciate and support rules / regs to safeguard people and property.

When it comes to boating ... I'm sorry - but I do not believe there has been such a marked change as other poster is suggesting. I agree that more boats are out there - but I would also suggest that more idiots have 'incidents' that go unreported ...
Over here - to have anything other than a dinghy - you have an exam ... great - but you should see some of the 'incidents' ... idiots are idiots .. and we have a fair share of them over here.
He suggests look at the records compared to 40yrs ago ... having looked - I haven't found such records .. only suggestive unofficial.

ylop

Visit site
I used to know a guy who ran 3 taxis and spent his evenings and weekends spannering, this was in the pre UBER days. PH are nowhere near or weren't regulated and inspected as licensed taxies it is for that reason I have never used a PH or UBER.
They are regulated differently from "proper taxis" (Black Hacks), and each council area has its own policy (for both taxis and PH). I'm not sure the average customer could explain the difference, or if they phoned for a "taxi" would be able to tell you if the car that came was a Taxi or a PH. Certainly if I organised an Uber to pick you up you'd have no idea if it was Uber or an ordinary PH (unless as some do they had an Uber "advert" in the back window). My experience with Uber, everywhere in the world I've used them, is that service, cleanliness, manners etc are actually at the top end of the range - because every customer is asked to rate the experience - everyone has been 4 or 5 stars. I've had 1 and 2 star experiences with black hack drivers - noisey, uncomfortable, badly driver, racist or sexist "banter"...

Refueler

Visit site
They are regulated differently from "proper taxis" (Black Hacks), and each council area has its own policy (for both taxis and PH). I'm not sure the average customer could explain the difference, or if they phoned for a "taxi" would be able to tell you if the car that came was a Taxi or a PH. Certainly if I organised an Uber to pick you up you'd have no idea if it was Uber or an ordinary PH (unless as some do they had an Uber "advert" in the back window). My experience with Uber, everywhere in the world I've used them, is that service, cleanliness, manners etc are actually at the top end of the range - because every customer is asked to rate the experience - everyone has been 4 or 5 stars. I've had 1 and 2 star experiences with black hack drivers - noisey, uncomfortable, badly driver, racist or sexist "banter"...

All rides I've had with Uber / Black Cabs have been good ... no complaints. My gripe is that surcharge levied for using that Map feature ... collected via the mobile bill .... which does not happen elsewhere as I understand ..

ylop

Visit site
Yes I am ... because its the only data surcharge ... as the Mobile Co said - its UBER ... most other data business does not have it.
I think someone is telling you porkies!
The app requests data from their servers. Every app does that. Uber might be data hungry but I don't recall having particular issues on rubbish connections so think it is probably not ridiculously so. It is possible that you go unlucky and there was some massive update when you were roaming.
But if you've got data turned on for dozens of apps it could be any one of them (or all of them) that was syncing data in the background.
Uber sounds like a convenient excuse - everyone loves to hate them and most people don't understand how the internet or apps work so will believe they did something evil. Its certainly irrelevant whether the Uber server is in holland, san francisco or outer mongolia - you connected to the Swiss network and requested data from the internet.
The real questions would be - why didn't your mobile provider have a "cap" set up to prevent unexpected nasty surprises; and why do they treat roaming in Switzerland different from the EU?

Refueler

Visit site
I think someone is telling you porkies!
The app requests data from their servers. Every app does that. Uber might be data hungry but I don't recall having particular issues on rubbish connections so think it is probably not ridiculously so. It is possible that you go unlucky and there was some massive update when you were roaming.
But if you've got data turned on for dozens of apps it could be any one of them (or all of them) that was syncing data in the background.
Uber sounds like a convenient excuse - everyone loves to hate them and most people don't understand how the internet or apps work so will believe they did something evil. Its certainly irrelevant whether the Uber server is in holland, san francisco or outer mongolia - you connected to the Swiss network and requested data from the internet.
The real questions would be - why didn't your mobile provider have a "cap" set up to prevent unexpected nasty surprises; and why do they treat roaming in Switzerland different from the EU?

Wrong in this case.

The Mobile Co could show the collection due to Uber ...

My phone is unlimited as I travel on business ... I do not cap the bill because I travel to many different countries such as China as well as many others ..

I don't give a monkeys to be honest if you or others believe it or not ... just hope you remember I told you - if you go to Geneva and fall foul of it. Maybe it no longer applies - I don't know - I hope its changed .. but I will not test to find out. 'Conventional' Taxi in Geneva is my way now.

As I say - no other area has done that to my bill ...