Qualifications required for using a powerboat for paying guests

Mark-1

Visit site
I would look up any commercial water taxis in the area....then pass on their phone number to your friend and opt out

He asking about the what paperwork he needs to do it so maybe he actually *wants* to do it? (After getting the right paperwork.)

Can't say I'd fancy it either but lots of people do.

st599

Visit site
I'm afraid your figures are rather out of date - I paid £115 for an ENG1 in September. That was after (years ago) trying to get an ML5, and my GPs surgery just making it too difficult - I never got to ask the price, but unless the GP is a mate or doing you a favour, I can't see them doing anything for £35.
As it's not an NHS service, your GP can charge what they like. It's £150 at my practice for a medical form that doesn't involve any medical investigation.

For UK: Powerboat level 2, vhf license, rya first aid cert, ppr, and medical (eng1 or ml5). The PB2 can be used upto 3nm from point of departure in daylight hours. The PB2 is basic, coikd also use PB tender, PB advanced, day skip motor, or ym motor.
Would he not also need to get the boat coded?

wonkywinch

Visit site
Whether you take money or not is a red herring. These are the rules defining a pleasure vessel, anything else is considered commercial. Pay particular attention to the conditional or/and.

The Merchant Shipping (Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure) Regulations 1998

“pleasure vessel” means–

(a) any vessel which at the time it is being used is:

(i)
(aa)
in the case of a vessel wholly owned by an individual or individuals, used only for the sport or pleasure of the owner or the immediate family or friends of the owner; or

(bb)
in the case of a vessel owned by a body corporate, used only for sport or pleasure and on which the persons on board are employees or officers of the body corporate, or their immediate family or friends; and

(ii)
on a voyage or excursion which is one for which the owner does not receive money for or in connection with operating the vessel or carrying any person, other than as a contribution to the direct expenses of the operation of the vessel incurred during the voyage or excursion; or

(b)
any vessel wholly owned by or on behalf of a members' club formed for the purpose of sport or pleasure which, at the time it is being used, is used only for the sport or pleasure of members of that club or their immediate family, and for the use of which any charges levied are paid into club funds and applied for the general use of the club; and

(c)
in the case of any vessel referred to in paragraphs (a) or (b) above no other payments are made by or on behalf of users of the vessel, other than by the owner.

In this definition “immediate family” means - in relation to an individual, the husband or wife of the individual, and a relative of the individual or the individual’s husband or wife; and “relative” means brother, sister, ancestor or lineal descendant.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
but he said he’s got YM Coastal which means he’s already got a First Aid certificate.
Really? When I did my YM Coastal (it was many years ago) I was told I only needed first aid certificate if I wanted comercial endorsement.....is it now mandatory?

Mark-1

Visit site
20 years ago I remember you needed a First Aid Cert to take the YM exam, but I'm not sure you needed keep it current after that, do you?

If not we have no idea if the OP has a First Aid Cert or not.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
20 years ago I remember you needed a First Aid Cert to take the YM exam, but I'm not sure you needed keep it current after that, do you?

If not we have no idea if the OP has a First Aid Cert or not.
You need a current first aid to maintain your commercial endorsement so I guess it depends how recently the OP took his First Aid course?

billskip

Visit site
Yes as is VHF. Then you also need knowledge of RADAR
It's not a problem for me...but there must be a lot of "old" YM's out there without the first aid and RADAR tick in the box, does that mean they/we/I'm not qualified
anymore?

st599

Visit site
It's not a problem for me...but there must be a lot of "old" YM's out there without the first aid and RADAR tick in the box, does that mean they/we/I'm not qualified
anymore?
No but if a new candidate turned up without FA or VHF, then they wouldn't be able to take the exam. Knowledge of RADAR is tested during the exam. (Well knowledge of an old CRT style radar without CHIRP as the RADAR course and materials are stuck in the 80s)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
No but if a new candidate turned up without FA or VHF, then they wouldn't be able to take the exam. Knowledge of RADAR is tested during the exam. (Well knowledge of an old CRT style radar without CHIRP as the RADAR course and materials are stuck in the 80s)
The reasoning is quite logical. It was noticed that Yachtmasters could gain a commercial endorsement and operate a boat up to 200 tons and 24 m which would have radar and other aids to navigation without ever having been tested at all on their knowledge of radar. A radar course or qualification is not mandatory to hold the Yachtmaster qualification, but it’s been decided/negotiated, that Yachtmaster exams will now always include some questions on radar to avoid the anomaly described above.

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the insiurnace side of things. No expert, but I do know that Insurers wont touch a claim if there is any question of a commercial operation. So just suppose somebody gets pi**ed and goes OB..... Insurers wouldnt look at any claim against the owner of the boat if it is only insured for private pleasure use.

billskip

Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the insiurnace side of things. No expert, but I do know that Insurers wont touch a claim if there is any question of a commercial operation. So just suppose somebody gets pi**ed and goes OB..... Insurers wouldnt look at any claim against the owner of the boat if it is only insured for private pleasure use.
We don't know who's boat it is, the OP may have been asked as a skipper only.
In any event it will be illegal if no ticket.

penberth3

Visit site
The problem today is the societal 'rules' have swung such that 1. people now look at things in 'what if' way .. 2. the 'old days' are gone where people acted and thought for themselves ...

Sorry but I really do think todays society has lost so much humanity ... I wonder how far its going to go before people finally say enough !

You've got that the wrong way round. The problem is in the "old days" people didn't look at the "what ifs", didn't think for themselves or anybody else. Check the accident figures for 40 years ago and compare with today.

38mess

Visit site
I'm afraid your figures are rather out of date - I paid £115 for an ENG1 in September. That was after (years ago) trying to get an ML5, and my GPs surgery just making it too difficult - I never got to ask the price, but unless the GP is a mate or doing you a favour, I can't see them doing anything for £35.
Just got my ML5 from my GP, £150. Now I'm 65 yo it's an annual thing