Questions i can't find answers to on the internet,Please help

CLB

Visit site
Yes i like the S28 very much, can you tell me what the blue dash means? Is it a stripe on the hull or something?

Blue dash just means a later model that came with a blue dashboard. For your budget, you should be looking at these rather than the earlier boats. No real changes, other than colour tweaks, but you will be getting a newer boat, newer engines and probably more up to date electronics.

CLB

Visit site
I think you would be best to start with a smaller boat like S28 to see how you get on and get the confidence. I remember many years ago seeing a guy with a new S34 and scared himself just in the marina and ended up wedged side on between two pontoons, and refused my help. I didn't see that boat move again and was eventually sold or relocated.

I think that particular boater would have been in the same position in an S28 by the sounds of it. Some training is a must so that you build confidence and don't scare yourself. Do a course now. I did my Day Skipper theory and practical a couple of years before owning my first boat, and my YM theory a few months before I bought it.

Scubadoo

Visit site
I think that particular boater would have been in the same position in an S28 by the sounds of it. Some training is a must so that you build confidence and don't scare yourself. Do a course now. I did my Day Skipper theory and practical a couple of years before owning my first boat, and my YM theory a few months before I bought it.

You may well be right CLB, but I guess my point it is easier to learn in a smaller boat. Doing any course where you get practical boat handling is a must. Also I see more charter ribs in the solent, so may be worth having a few days enjoying the solent and boat even if with a skipper or after a RYA course. It all will help build confidence.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
The SC29 is fitted with early Volvo D3's. Some of these have proved problematic. I know of two SC29 owners who eventually sold their boats because of continuos problems with the engines. These were not serious or expensive breakdowns, but niggly little faults that curtailed their cruising and became very tiresome. On the other hand, if you get a good one, they are nice boats. A poster here D3B, also had lots of problems with an SC29, but I cant remember now if it was engine or boat related.

Jeanneau are not on the same league IMHO. Build quality of internals and fixtures and fittings are of a lower quality than Sealine. Lots of bare plywood and open backed cupboards, things self-tapped when they should be through bolted etc etc. Hulls are fine and boat will get you where you want to go, but I couldn't live with one again. Before anyone shoots me, I have owned both Sealines and Jeanneaus.

Considering your criteria, your leanings so far, and your budget, a nice late, very clean and immaculate S28 with KAD32's would fit the bill and leave you with loads in the bank. My only concern is that, if you like it, you might regret not going straight for an S34 :D

Just to throw into the mix, and probably much bigger than you want, if I had £90K I would be looking at one of these: https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1729633/

OMG thats beautiful.....Is there a reason why nobody else has mentioned the Princess range, is it because its above my budget..... ( i could always work even harder lol).Ive got to get on these boats to see if i can manage them.I know when i got my motorhome, everyone advised me to get a 6 metre one, i went for a 9 metre in the end , and its a doddle to drive, it doesnt faze me in the slightest, however whether that confidence and ability can be applied to handling a boat i dont know until i try.It might be all i can manage is a lilo! lol!

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
Blue dash just means a later model that came with a blue dashboard. For your budget, you should be looking at these rather than the earlier boats. No real changes, other than colour tweaks, but you will be getting a newer boat, newer engines and probably more up to date electronics.

You wouldnt know the years would you that this model boat was in manufacture, roughly?

Nosealegsyet

Visit site
It literally means it has a blue dashboard and is more modern / updated as since the Sealine S28 did have quite a long production run. The earlier (90's) Sealine S28 where white / grey interior styling. However, there are a few single engine of that period but will be slower than the twin engine version.

I think you would be best to start with a smaller boat like S28 to see how you get on and get the confidence. I remember many years ago seeing a guy with a new S34 and scared himself just in the marina and ended up wedged side on between two pontoons, and refused my help. I didn't see that boat move again and was eventually sold or relocated.

I would hate that to happen to me, by hook or by crook im going to have a go on the various sizes and see what i can cope with, looking at the fuel ecomomy as well.

Nosealegsyet

Visit site

I am /have/ .Completed the online Short Range VHF course last night , got 91% lol!. I now have to sit it in front of someone.My Power Boating Practical is booked for July, and im waiting for the Day Skipper Thoery stuff to come in the post so i can start that.

CLB

Visit site
OMG thats beautiful.....Is there a reason why nobody else has mentioned the Princess range, is it because its above my budget..... ( i could always work even harder lol).Ive got to get on these boats to see if i can manage them.I know when i got my motorhome, everyone advised me to get a 6 metre one, i went for a 9 metre in the end , and its a doddle to drive, it doesnt faze me in the slightest, however whether that confidence and ability can be applied to handling a boat i dont know until i try.It might be all i can manage is a lilo! lol!

It would be an older boat for the money than a Sealine S28 or S34. The one I pointed out might well be within your budget if they are keen to sell. It will feel very large though, compared to something like an S28

You wouldnt know the years would you that this model boat was in manufacture, roughly?

The S28 was launched in 1996 as the 28 Bolero, same boat, different name, It went on through to 2005 I think.

I am /have/ .Completed the online Short Range VHF course last night , got 91% lol!. I now have to sit it in front of someone.My Power Boating Practical is booked for July, and im waiting for the Day Skipper Thoery stuff to come in the post so i can start that.

Good stuff :encouragement: