Overnight mooring in the Camber at Portsmouth?

prv

Visit site
We have an office party in Portsmouth coming up. Rather than struggle with public transport home, last year I took the boat round to Gunwharf and slept on board. This was a great success and I’m thinking to do the same this year. However, Gunwharf was surprisingly exposed - I could see clear across to the Isle of Wight from my cockpit, with nothing in between. On the night it was ok as the weather was calm, but it might easily not be so I’m considering alternatives.

The obvious one is to go into Haslar and get the ferry. But looking at the map I’m also wondering about the Camber. Should be very sheltered, and I’m not scared of mooring against a dock wall although there do also appear to be some pontoons.

Can anyone advise on the practicality of this? Is it a usable berth for a 34-foot yacht, or too busy with fishing boats? Any danger of being mistaken for an Anderson 22 and having a shopping trolley dropped on my head? Who should I contact to arrange a berth? A lot of published information refers to the Ken Brown dry stack, but I believe this disappeared when Ben Ainslie Racing moved in.

Most likely I’ll end up deciding between Gunwharf and Haslar based on the weather on the day, but I’d like to explore the possibility of the Camber as it would be reassuring at 2am to be on the same side of the harbour as my bed even if too rough for Gunwharf.

Cheers,

Pete

Mark-1

Visit site
Several years since I've been there, but assuming nothing's changed:

Can anyone advise on the practicality of this? Is it a usable berth for a 34-foot yacht

Yeah, it's a great spot. Loads of room. You do go against the wall, by the pub. Fender boards available. When I've been there there have been other yachts there, certainly not overrun with commercial boats.

having a shopping trolley dropped on my head?

I've only heard of that happening from one, deeply unreliable, source. I've been there three times on weekend nights and seen no trouble at all.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
We have an office party in Portsmouth coming up. Rather than struggle with public transport home, last year I took the boat round to Gunwharf and slept on board. This was a great success and I’m thinking to do the same this year. However, Gunwharf was surprisingly exposed - I could see clear across to the Isle of Wight from my cockpit, with nothing in between. On the night it was ok as the weather was calm, but it might easily not be so I’m considering alternatives.

The obvious one is to go into Haslar and get the ferry. But looking at the map I’m also wondering about the Camber. Should be very sheltered, and I’m not scared of mooring against a dock wall although there do also appear to be some pontoons.

Can anyone advise on the practicality of this? Is it a usable berth for a 34-foot yacht, or too busy with fishing boats? Any danger of being mistaken for an Anderson 22 and having a shopping trolley dropped on my head? Who should I contact to arrange a berth? A lot of published information refers to the Ken Brown dry stack, but I believe this disappeared when Ben Ainslie Racing moved in.

Most likely I’ll end up deciding between Gunwharf and Haslar based on the weather on the day, but I’d like to explore the possibility of the Camber as it would be reassuring at 2am to be on the same side of the harbour as my bed even if too rough for Gunwharf.

Cheers,

Pete

Never had anything dropped on me - yet !

Big wheelie bins were dropped on boats I spoke to afterwards but that was at Newport IOW.

Last time I went into the Camber was 1992, it was great then, handy for the Bridge pub too, but one does need to keep a sharp eye out for the car ferries.

I've tried the Gosport ferry after chucking out time, a very pleasant pleasure cruise; compared to say upriver Vietnam in the sixties...:)

I'd try hard to get into Camber, of course you know about asking QHM.

Last edited:

Prasutigus

Visit site
Greetings.. a couple of thoughts..

At 0200 local, the green council ferries are tied up, and the service is by a local sub-contractor. Costs about a quid extra. They are all familiar with Jack and Jenny crossing when slaughtered in the small hours, you won't have nothing to worry about.

If you tie up in the Camber, surely someone needs to tend the lines, might not be ideal if you want to get three sheets to the wind without any worries? What are your office parties like, do they involve blue flashing lights?

I would go on Haslar visitors' pontoon inside the Minnie Mouse. Free heads and showers on your doorstep, and Trinity's for the hair of the dog in the morning.

Last edited:

ripvan1

Visit site
Don't know what tides are for your dates but there can be be high vertical drops with a very nasty end if not careful. The wild beast show that is the Gosport ferry must be considered against this - but considering you could be one of the the beasts - then it's your pick.

VicS

Visit site
Also consider Royal Clarence Marina. Its a bit of a walk from the ferry but not too far and is well sheltered

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
It's a fair old trek from the Gosport Ferry to Royal Clarance

They are dredging at Haslar at the moment so might be worth calling ahead with if considering stopping there for the night.

Giblets

Visit site
It shouldn't be forgotten that the IOW Port-Fish ferry runs from the Camber a couple of times during the night on 'goods only' trips and the fishermen who are moored at the quay opposite the pub and on the pontoons to the south tend to come and go at strange times and don't care how they do it! Would be interested what pontoons Pete has seen that are for visitor use. The one on the right just inside the entrance is for pilot boats, etc only and the ones round the back past the pub are all private as is the one opposite the car ferry outside BAR's building.

Mark-1

Visit site
Would be interested what pontoons Pete has seen that are for visitor use. The one on the right just inside the entrance is for pilot boats.

I presume he means the Portsmouth Sailing Club Pontoon, also on the right inside the entrance. It's also Private though AFAIK.

Seajet

Visit site
So does that mean no more free space at all at Camber ? I'm sure PRV Pete can negotiate most nautical obstacles but I'd like to know the current status too please ?

Seajet

Visit site
I used to live on the seafront near there, the new flats at Camber were infamous for not being taken up with their high prices - I expect they're inhabited now but if you have time a recce' asking in The Bridge - even by phone call - about pontoons or alongside the wall seems a good idea.

ripvan1

Visit site
As mentioned by other people, you can moor and raft ukp alongside in front of the pub (watch the drop) Don't any of crew know anyone in the PYC to beg a favour from on their pontoon to raft up to. The pontoons further up past the Bridge are NOT public.