Boo less lug sail?

Tim Good

Visit site
Hello. New to this sub forum! I’ve just acquired a Martin Heard 14’ dredging punt. It’s got a mast but that’s it.

I’m not used to classic rigs or sails. What are my options here? I’m wondering about a boomless lug sail. I’d need a yard making up of course.

How might that sail and would it be a reasonable option?

IMG_1815.jpeg

Tranona

Visit site
Not a direct answer but might be worth talking to these folks who make sails for a lot of the gaff rigged working boats skbsails.co.uk

Nice looking boat. Should be fun. does it have a centreboard or a long keel?

Sort of answered my own question as this looks like the same sort of boat cornwall.boatshed.com/heard_28-boat-137452.html with a dagger board. Obviously has sails but unfortunately no pictures of it rigged.

srm

Visit site
With the mast that far forward a standing lug would look right. Talking to an experienced sailmaker is a very good idea.
Don't go for a dipping lug though, too much like hard work to tack and will need a crew, but then my only experience is from sailing on a heavy Western Isles fishing boat.

Romeo

Visit site
Sturdy looking boat. I personally always want a boom. You are going to get a better shape to the sail, and have much more control when it comes to shaking the wind if beating in gusts, and making the most of the wind when broad reaching or running. It also gives you something to attach a topping lift to, which gives you much more control when lowering the sail. Finally it gives a much neater stow, which is important in a wee boat that you also want to be able to row or motor.

Once you have decided you want a boom, you can then move on to whether you want a standing lug, balanced lug, gunter, or sprit rig.

Tim Good

Visit site
Good points thanks :)
Sturdy looking boat. I personally always want a boom. You are going to get a better shape to the sail, and have much more control when it comes to shaking the wind if beating in gusts, and making the most of the wind when broad reaching or running. It also gives you something to attach a topping lift to, which gives you much more control when lowering the sail. Finally it gives a much neater stow, which is important in a wee boat that you also want to be able to row or motor.

Once you have decided you want a boom, you can then move on to whether you want a standing lug, balanced lug, gunter, or sprit rig

MisterBaxter

Visit site
A standing lug with a boom works very well. It would be worth looking at the Goat Island Skiff rig, the designer Michael Storer has done a lot of work on optimum proportions and design details for that rig.
Not sure if a boomless lug would be that satisfactory though, with nothing to hold the clew out from the stern when off the wind.

srm

Visit site
Not sure if a boomless lug would be that satisfactory though, with nothing to hold the clew out from the stern when off the wind.
Agreed, having sailed a boomless gunter rig. However, a lot depends on the headroom under the boom and agility of the crew. If a boomless sail is to be used the clew could be held out with a whisker pole when off the wind.