No idea how to anchor

geem

Visit site
It’s nothing to do with whether you free drop or not. (I know Geem is addicted to ‘free dropping’ his anchor). It’s simply a matter of not allowing the boat to plough the anchor backwards and snag loads of weed before it’s had a chance to dig in. How you pay the chain out is irrelevant.
Agreed. Free dropping just makes it way easier when it's 25kts or more. It reduces the risk of plough the seabed with the anchor. It's not an issue in clean sand but it's very much an issue is a seabed that is grass. You may never know that you are dragging your anchor backwards like a plough if you only every anchor in sand. I believe it is the single biggest reason why so many charter boats here fail to set their anchors.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Agreed. Free dropping just makes it way easier when it's 25kts or more. It reduces the risk of plough the seabed with the anchor. It's not an issue in clean sand but it's very much an issue is a seabed that is grass. You may never know that you are dragging your anchor backwards like a plough if you only every anchor in sand. I believe it is the single biggest reason why so many charter boats here fail to set their anchors.
You may be right. And it’s the reason why (whether anchoring under power or sail) we are very careful about monitoring the speed over ground of the boat as the anchor hits the bottom and the chain starts to pay out.

In the past, when I’ve occasionally driven boats that couldn’t lay out their anchor chain in a controlled manner and one had to slip the clutch and free fall the anchor and chain, I was always anxious that either the chain might land in a heap on the anchor and foul it, or the boat would gather way as freely chain paid out and instead of digging the anchor in, skate the anchor along the seabed. It only happened a couple of times but it’s made me wary. And as we can let the chain out fairly briskly on our current windlass, I choose the controlled option.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I helped a family in the Ionian. Depth was 5 metres, so they had 5 metres of chain out and wondered why it wouldn't hold. At least they accepted my assistance
I guess you didn’t come across as a (insert your preferred pronouns) so they were happy for the advice.
Communication can be a tricky thing for some.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Unless I have a strong breeze on the nose I pay out the chain and just give a kick astern so as to give a gentle backward motion to preempt the chain piling up. I do this a time or two as the chain runs out and then a proper kick astern to bed the anchor once the chain has stopped running.
Since I changed my Bruce copy for a Rocna Vulcan, the anchor bites so hard and fast that it's like backing into a wall.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Unless I have a strong breeze on the nose I pay out the chain and just give a kick astern so as to give a gentle backward motion to preempt the chain piling up. I do this a time or two as the chain runs out and then a proper kick astern to bed the anchor once the chain has stopped running.
Since I changed my Bruce copy for a Rocna Vulcan, the anchor bites so hard and fast that it's like backing into a wall.
I have a CQR. It takes time to bite. So I won't give it any welly astern for 10-15 minutes. And then I will gradually build up the revs. To about half power unless I am expecting bad weather, in which case after a couple of minutes at half power I will gradually crank to full power. At full power the chain rode will be bar tight. If the anchor holds at that, then I am confident that it will hold in a full gale (and it has done so).

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not that I anchor so I am only asking out of interest. I may have the unfortunate need to one day.
Why do you let the CQR just lay on the sea bed with loads of slack chain by it for several minutes?
Surely it is not going to dig in until it gets dragged along. The faries are not going to come & dig it in where it hit the sea bed, so it surely has to move to dig in. Thus, surely, the presence of weed will always want to clog the anchor. So why does it not clog, if left laying ( in the weed)on its side for a couple of minutes?
As for chain dropping on the anchor that must be next to zero as long as one is not moving forward. So why the comments?
I just find some of the theories a bit intriging.

geem

Visit site
You may be right. And it’s the reason why (whether anchoring under power or sail) we are very careful about monitoring the speed over ground of the boat as the anchor hits the bottom and the chain starts to pay out.

In the past, when I’ve occasionally driven boats that couldn’t lay out their anchor chain in a controlled manner and one had to slip the clutch and free fall the anchor and chain, I was always anxious that either the chain might land in a heap on the anchor and foul it, or the boat would gather way as freely chain paid out and instead of digging the anchor in, skate the anchor along the seabed. It only happened a couple of times but it’s made me wary. And as we can let the chain out fairly briskly on our current windlass, I choose the controlled option.
Except for us and many others, free fall is controlled by a clutch so you can control the speed of descent. We generally get plenty of wind here so no riak of poling the chain on the anchor. The boat is moving. I tend to keep the boat moving forward at 0.5kt when I drop then give the boat a bit of helm so that when we fall back the chain is laid in a small loop. This gets plenty of chain on the seabed away from the anchor. We lay out the full amount we intend to use for the location, normally 4:1. Once the boat has settled back on its chain we power set. Its a very normal way of anchoring here in the .Caribbean. we are doing nothing special

RupertW

Visit site
Except for us and many others, free fall is controlled by a clutch so you can control the speed of descent. We generally get plenty of wind here so no riak of poling the chain on the anchor. The boat is moving. I tend to keep the boat moving forward at 0.5kt when I drop then give the boat a bit of helm so that when we fall back the chain is laid in a small loop. This gets plenty of chain on the seabed away from the anchor. We lay out the full amount we intend to use for the location, normally 4:1. Once the boat has settled back on its chain we power set. Its a very normal way of anchoring here in the .Caribbean. we are doing nothing special
We haven’t been in the Caribbean remotely as long as you but we do tend to try to find clear patches if possible - as much because of rocks as sea grass because I‘ve seen our anchor be fine after a power set but actually just hooked onto a rock so any change of direction would free it completely. But where we do have to drop into the dark it tends to be power drop with boat held just to the wind (almost easier in 25knots than 5) then lay the chain out sufficiently before letting the boats weight take effect.

But Delta‘s aren’t great in grass so in the Med we’ve needed more than one attempt but so far in the Caribbean it’s been first time every time.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have not free-falled (fallen?) an anchor for 15 years. Jill cannot manage the clutch and our Maxwell motors down fast so, as said, provided the boat is not driven astern at silly speeds the anchor rarely fails to bite. Easier in wind than in calm conditions, when I would not motor at all until testing the hold.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Not that I anchor so I am only asking out of interest. I may have the unfortunate need to one day.
Why do you let the CQR just lay on the sea bed with loads of slack chain by it for several minutes?
Surely it is not going to dig in until it gets dragged along. The faries are not going to come & dig it in where it hit the sea bed, so it surely has to move to dig in. Thus, surely, the presence of weed will always want to clog the anchor. So why does it not clog, if left laying ( in the weed)on its side for a couple of minutes?
As for chain dropping on the anchor that must be next to zero as long as one is not moving forward. So why the comments?
You need to pull on it very very gently at the beginning otherwise it will just skip over the surface forever.

geem

Visit site
You need to pull on it very very gently at the beginning otherwise it will just skip over the surface forever.
I think when you are going backwards faster than you can deploy chain, the angle the chain makes with the seabed is so extreme that a large part of the effort is vertical. Compare this with a 5:1 pull on a stationary anchor. The pull is effectively horizontal until the load increased and the chain becomes tight. A horizontal pull makes the correct angle to dig the anchor in rapidly. We have snorkelled on our anchor many times. The seabed is disturbed for less than the length of the anchor shank. This suggests it digs in very quickly

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I think when you are going backwards faster than you can deploy chain, the angle the chain makes with the seabed is so extreme that a large part of the effort is vertical. Compare this with a 5:1 pull on a stationary anchor. The pull is effectively horizontal until the load increased and the chain becomes tight. A horizontal pull makes the correct angle to dig the anchor in rapidly. We have snorkelled on our anchor many times. The seabed is disturbed for less than the length of the anchor shank. This suggests it digs in very quickly
Yes - you need a very flat pull to dig in a CQR. Particularly if the sand is compact and hard.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Surely you mean horizontal in the first bit, not vertical & 5:1 must be around 20 degrees at a guess
Neither of the examples are horizontals.

onesea

Visit site
Tom Cunliffe described his anchoring technique as to let it lie on the bottom while you take a cup of tea before making any attempt to dig it in.
I am with Tom on this one if the boats been brought up and holding I may even forget to dig it. Else the tide will turn and will only dig it in the other way.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Agreed. It’s usually how our Spade behaves.

Sea Change

Visit site
In very soft mud I like to give the anchor plenty of time to sink in a bit. Under these conditions is generally impossible to see what's going on, but it seems to help.

I've stopped worrying about chain landing on top of the anchor and fouling it. It's never happened to me, AFAIK. I just dump the chain out as quickly as possible.

Sea Change

Visit site
We quite often have one person in the water watching the anchor while we power set. It's interesting to watch it dig in. In any half decent holding it moves less than its own length. You can swim down and help roll it upright which shortens the setting distance even more.