New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Tony Cross

Visit site
Oh. I forgot, but I've just been reminded by Pleias.

A current option is to hand your papers to the port police, declaring the boat as "not in use". Effectively, the boat is in bond. This exempts you from taxes.

That's interesting Jim. You might want to ask about this too. I think people will want to know what can be done to a boat "not in use" (ie. effectively in bond). Can you work on it? Can someone else work on it on your behalf? Can they run the engine for example, exercise seacocks etc.? Can it even be plugged into shore power? Or must it be isolated and inaccessible to anyone and not connected to anything?

Sorry, another can of worms!

macd

Visit site
Peio . . ". . Anyone controled in the Saronique or Patras gulfs can argue that he is "en route" to Turkey or Italy through this canal because his boat can not afford the turn of Peloponnese..."
I am no expert but I think you'll find that your right of innocent passage through a country's territorial waters does not include stopping unless for reasons of safe navigation and also you do not have the right to venture into inland waters which I'd have thought included the Corinth.
You can claim to have engine problems, etc as the reason why you have broken your passage, but the onus would be for you to prove this.
Dave

I'm no expert, either, but if you read the relevant section of UNCLOS (which I quoted somewhere before in this interminable thread), it does specifically permit stopping/anchoring on innocent passage, except at a "harbour or roadstead". As you write, it also includes stopping to render assistance, force majeur etc, but seems not to insist on it.

PLEIAS

Visit site
That's interesting Jim. You might want to ask about this too. I think people will want to know what can be done to a boat "not in use" (ie. effectively in bond). Can you work on it? Can someone else work on it on your behalf? Can they run the engine for example, exercise seacocks etc.? Can it even be plugged into shore power? Or must it be isolated and inaccessible to anyone and not connected to anything?

Sorry, another can of worms!
The PP keeps a special registry where one can register a boat as out of circulation.That is you give your boat's documents and you state as well where the boat is stored on land.The boat is by no way bonded and you can pick up your papers anytime you want.This has nothing to do with the small fee that you pay when you go in or out of the water as it is a different act and produces no proof (the fee) for taxation purposes.Meanwhile you can do whatever you want to the boat as it is in no other way different from being on the hard.Oh and before anybody gets any funny ideas the PP checked twice last year even the small boats for their storage giving very strict fines to those that were not found on land.

Tony Cross

Visit site
The PP keeps a special registry where one can register a boat as out of circulation.That is you give your boat's documents and you state as well where the boat is stored on land.The boat is by no way bonded and you can pick up your papers anytime you want.This has nothing to do with the small fee that you pay when you go in or out of the water as it is a different act and produces no proof (the fee) for taxation purposes.Meanwhile you can do whatever you want to the boat as it is in no other way different from being on the hard.Oh and before anybody gets any funny ideas the PP checked twice last year even the small boats for their storage giving very strict fines to those that were not found on land.

Interesting, thank you! :)

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com

Am I alone in never bothering to do this paperwork for the PP?

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Cardo,if closed in Gouvia did you try Corfu town?
Actually I wouldn't have bothered either!!
Correct?
Haven't bothered trying the Corfu town PP. I appreciate I'm meant to see them when entering the country, but seeing as I went pretty much straight to Gouvia and have the relevant paperwork, I really can't be bothered chasing them up. I'll make sure I visit them before we set off in March/April.

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
No wonder they introduce a new tax when so many guests "can't be bothered" to do the minimum paperwork actually required, or paying the very low port fees actually required. And no, I don't buy all excuses of "not being able to find them", or "having to walk really far to the tax office to pay 0.80 cents" or whatever other reasons you make yourself for not doing what is required. Perhaps you don't bother to pay your restaurant bills either.

RupertW

Visit site
No wonder they introduce a new tax when so many guests "can't be bothered" to do the minimum paperwork actually required, or paying the very low port fees actually required. And no, I don't buy all excuses of "not being able to find them", or "having to walk really far to the tax office to pay 0.80 cents" or whatever other reasons you make yourself for not doing what is required. Perhaps you don't bother to pay your restaurant bills either.

Oh come on - it's a ridiculous system that simply inconviences sailors for the sake of a tiny revenue. What would be wrong with the marinas collecting the fee as part of their charge and cut the PP out of the equation altogether. To an outsider the PP sound like the Hairdressers' Police or the Taverna Army, in other words a strange and pointless institution.

Visit site

Sorry, that is c r a p!

It's €20 each way by taxi just to pay 80leptas. The officers in the tiny, rarely manned PP office in Gouvia know the score.

Incidentally, it is now the law in Greece that if you don't get presented with a bill at a restaurant, you have no obligation to pay!

Kali Nikta!

Last edited:
Visit site
Oh come on - it's a ridiculous system that simply inconviences sailors for the sake of a tiny revenue. What would be wrong with the marinas collecting the fee as part of their charge and cut the PP out of the equation altogether. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a lot of places, particularly in the Aegean, that is what they do.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Steady on, fella. I've paid my dues to the marina, like I would in most other countries. I even tried visiting the PP office out of courtesy, but they've always been closed. As I understand it, as I'm in the marina, there are no further dues to pay, so what, precisely, are you preaching?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I, like many, take the view that the PP are in fact a job creation scheme, not a revenue raising set up. The charges they are meant to collect are such that a single person can collect by walking along the quayside with a receipt book, as happens in Gaios for example. It doesn't need an over staffed office full of people who can't be bothered to take a hike down the quay to enforce the charge. If they don't ask they won't get.

1bobt

N/A
Visit site

And what`s wrong with the port police getting off their backsides and actually visiting the port, they are supposed to be policing?