New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
if they are genuinely collecting for the demos they should be carrying two books. One for private yachts and one for professional yachts.

The books will have the government shield printed at the top and the name of the local authority. Usually there will be boxes where they write the figures for the calculation rather than just somewhere to enter a single amount. What you pay is partly a figure for entering the port, and partly a daily mooring fee and they'll add the two together.

I've used books that are A5 rather than A4 but they are always at least that size. The receipt books that you can buy tend to be much smaller, about the size of an envelope.

Oh and from memory, I think each receipt in the official book has a printed number on it rather than a handwritten one but
I could be wrong. It's quite a few years since I collected port dues.

What happens is that they ask your length, may ask for your papers, write the receipt, you pay, and then they tear out the top copy and give it to you as proof of payment.

Tony Cross

Visit site
if they are genuinely collecting for the demos they should be carrying two books. One for private yachts and one for professional yachts.

The books will have the government shield printed at the top and the name of the local authority. Usually there will be boxes where they write the figures for the calculation rather than just somewhere to enter a single amount. What you pay is partly a figure for entering the port, and partly a daily mooring fee and they'll add the two together.

I've used books that are A5 rather than A4 but they are always at least that size. The receipt books that you can buy tend to be much smaller, about the size of an envelope.

Oh and from memory, I think each receipt in the official book has a printed number on it rather than a handwritten one but
I could be wrong. It's quite a few years since I collected port dues.

What happens is that they ask your length, may ask for your papers, write the receipt, you pay, and then they tear out the top copy and give it to you as proof of payment.

Sorry Melody but the port fee structure changed in August 2014. There is no longer a 'port entry fee' and the formula for staying per 24 hour period (which is legally midnight to midnight) is:

1. For mooring stern-to or bows-to the quay:

a. Private “small” boats/yachts:

of LOA up to 7m = €0.03 per metre per 24 hour period

b. Private pleasure boats/yachts:

of LOA from 7,01m to 10m = €0.41 per metre per 24 hour period

of LOA from 10,01m to 15m = €0.47 per metre per 24 hour period

of LOA over 15,01m = €0.55 per metre per 24 hour period

2. Alongside berthing is subject to 25% surcharge.

3. All above fees are also subject to VAT (currently 24%).

This fee structure applies to pots that are managed by the municipality. In some places the municipality has leased the management of the port to a third party. In that case the third party can change whatever they think the market will stand, usually they will provide additional facilities (lazy lines etc.) but they don't have to (these ports are officially called 'marinas').

charles_reed

Visit site
Sorry Melody but the port fee structure changed in August 2014. There is no longer a 'port entry fee' and the formula for staying per 24 hour period (which is legally midnight to midnight) is:

1. For mooring stern-to or bows-to the quay:

a. Private “small” boats/yachts:

of LOA up to 7m = €0.03 per metre per 24 hour period

b. Private pleasure boats/yachts:

of LOA from 7,01m to 10m = €0.41 per metre per 24 hour period

of LOA from 10,01m to 15m = €0.47 per metre per 24 hour period

of LOA over 15,01m = €0.55 per metre per 24 hour period

2. Alongside berthing is subject to 25% surcharge.

3. All above fees are also subject to VAT (currently 24%).

This fee structure applies to pots that are managed by the municipality. In some places the municipality has leased the management of the port to a third party. In that case the third party can change whatever they think the market will stand, usually they will provide additional facilities (lazy lines etc.) but they don't have to (these ports are officially called 'marinas').

Nothing is simple or clear-cut in Greece.

On 14 July, after 14 days tied up @ Kardamili in Chios, I paid €19.06, worked out in the "old" method, by the Port Police, for 4 days, stern to, though I'd been alongside the whole time enjoying shorepower and frequent top-ups of water.
In Karlovasi the PP told me if I hadn't come from Turkey he, or anyone else would not be interested in me or any charges.
I have noticed that Cretans are rather more interested in collecting cash!!!
In this country I think it best to look forward with childlike innocence to paying less tomorrow than today (unlike the UK).

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Nothing is simple or clear-cut in Greece.

On 14 July, after 14 days tied up @ Kardamili in Chios, I paid €19.06, worked out in the "old" method, by the Port Police, for 4 days, stern to, though I'd been alongside the whole time enjoying shorepower and frequent top-ups of water.
In Karlovasi the PP told me if I hadn't come from Turkey he, or anyone else would not be interested in me or any charges.
I have noticed that Cretans are rather more interested in collecting cash!!!
In this country I think it best to look forward with childlike innocence to paying less tomorrow than today (unlike the UK).

:)

This has always been the case and I have always personally advised anyone to go with the flow and do what the local port police tell you. They have way more powers than you and even when you know they are wrong it's much easier to pay up and never go there again.

I don't know whether Cretans are more interested in collecting cash than other Greeks, but since you're coming this way I'll pass on some useful advice we were given many years ago. 'If you make friends with a Cretan you'll have a friend for life. If you make an enemy of a Cretan you should leave'.