New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I, like many, take the view that the PP are in fact a job creation scheme, not a revenue raising set up. The charges they are meant to collect are such that a single person can collect by walking along the quayside with a receipt book, as happens in Gaios for example. It doesn't need an over staffed office full of people who can't be bothered to take a hike down the quay to enforce the charge. If they don't ask they won't get.

Last summer we berthed in a tiny fishing port in the westernmost inland sea on Lesvos. There appears to be no ferry activity there, very little commercial fishing other than in small boats, possibly the occasional small freighter but none during the four days we were there. We counted at least five port policemen/women at the office, quite possibly more if they had 24 hour coverage.

grafozz

Visit site
Whilst in another small Aegean island , last June ,we witnessed the real purpose of the PP .
They seem to be there to harass the local fishermen !

We spent perhaps 45 mins doing our paperwork and during this time 4 different fishermen came in presenting documents
which we discovered from the very kind and helpful PP , were all about compliance with the huge amount of regulations they are subjected to .
We felt like guests of honour by comparison !

I know some of the local fishermen and they have told me some of the rules and fines
they have to deal with which would make the average yachtsman,s eyes water

e.g. a 300 e fine for having flares with less than 3 months life left !

Last edited:

rivonia

Visit site
Whilst in another small Aegean island , last June ,we witnessed the real purpose of the PP .
They seem to be there to harass the local fishermen !

We spent perhaps 45 mins doing our paperwork and during this time 4 different fishermen came in presenting documents
which we discovered from the very kind and helpful PP , were all about compliance with the huge amount of regulations they are subjected to .
We felt like guests of honour by comparison !

I know some of the local fishermen and they have told me some of the rules and fines
they have to deal with which would make the average yachtsman,s eyes water

e.g. a 300 e fine for having flares with less than 3 months life left !

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Just logged onto the thread and caught up. I get the sense we're all filling time until we get hard news re the tax. Trouble is I suspect the news will dribble out in dribs, drabs and general scuttlebutt. Irritating as we want to make cruising plans from April.

charles_reed

Visit site
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled - public debt should be reduced - the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled - and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed: lest Rome will become bankrupt."

People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."

- Cicero , 55 BC

................ So, evidently, we've learnt bugger all over the past 2,068 years.

Yes, he finally had his throat cut - on the road from his holiday villa near Gaeta.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
My emails to the office of the Shipping Ministry go unanswered, 3 chasers now - perhaps I am designated SPAM.

anyone want to place a bet on a reply? Odds at moment 100 to 1

Glyka

Visit site
My emails to the office of the Shipping Ministry go unanswered, 3 chasers now - perhaps I am designated SPAM.

anyone want to place a bet on a reply? Odds at moment 100 to 1
Very optimistic.

Another thing.
PP stands for Port Police. They are an armed force and their main duty is to police and not to collect fees, except for fines. Having the responsability to collect fees is something they don't like at all. Imagine if the police were collecting community fees etc. They already have 4% of the world's coastline to police with all the smuggling, trafficking, illegal fishing, etc. Their efficiency may (just may) be questionable but, that's their job. No wonder they make a fee collecting promenade whenever they feel like it. Please always remember: Port Police.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Very optimistic.

Another thing.
PP stands for Port Police. They are an armed force and their main duty is to police and not to collect fees, except for fines. Having the responsability to collect fees is something they don't like at all. Imagine if the police were collecting community fees etc. They already have 4% of the world's coastline to police with all the smuggling, trafficking, illegal fishing, etc. Their efficiency may (just may) be questionable but, that's their job. No wonder they make a fee collecting promenade whenever they feel like it. Please always remember: Port Police.

So what do the Hellenic Coast guard do? They have a mean looking machine in Leros with a big calibre machine gun on the bows. I am not so sure that the Port Police have any responsibilities outside the Port. However I am ready to be corrected.

pelissima

Visit site
So what do the Hellenic Coast guard do? They have a mean looking machine in Leros with a big calibre machine gun on the bows. I am not so sure that the Port Police have any responsibilities outside the Port. However I am ready to be corrected.

Unable to answer this myself I –what else- googled, only to land on their site (hcg.gr) and realized that PP changed their name in 2011 to Port Police – Hellenic Cost Guard. Vast area of responsibilities for them including patrolling for drugs and trafficking hence the heavy gun.

Glyka

Visit site
According to Wikipedia, the Greek coastline is 15,147 km, which is 0.96% of the world total (1,634,701 km).

According to the CIA World Factbook the world's coastline is 356,000 km. Not that it makes any difference. 15,000 km of coastline are enough (Switzerland is not one of the neighbour countries).
Port Police and Coast Guard are one and the same.