New tax for foreign yachts based in Greece from 1st January 2014????

grumpygit

Visit site
You lot, stealing MY money is NO laughing matter!

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled - public debt should be reduced - the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled - and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed: lest Rome will become bankrupt."

People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."

- Cicero , 55 BC

................ So, evidently, we've learnt bugger all over the past 2,068 years.

Al.

Visit site
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled - public debt should be reduced - the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled - and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed: lest Rome will become bankrupt."

People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance."

- Cicero , 55 BC

................ So, evidently, we've learnt bugger all over the past 2,068 years.

Can you send this to David Cameron ! :encouragement:

Peio64

Greece/Turkey summer, SW of France winter
Visit site
Let's not split hairs. If I drive from here to Venice via either Switzerland or Austria I have to ( or rather I am supposed to ) buy a vignette. If I keep my car in a garage in Zurich all year ... no vignette.

If I sail from Turkey to Italy via Greek waters then ..........

The right comparison would be : "If I fly (with my private jet) from here to Venice via either [....blah] I am not supposed to pay any tax for crossing Swiss or Austrian air space"

...And if you do it with your ULM from some friend's land to another friend's land (i.e. avoiding airports), you will have to pay no tax at all. This "wild" ULM ride can be directly compared to the cruise of a small sailing yacht from some wild bay to another wild bay through Greek waters. Unfortunately and contrary to the ULM or the private jet, this small yacht will be taxed for nothing more than "circulation" and "landing".

Peio

Peio64

Visit site
The right comparison would be : "If I fly (with my private jet) from here to Venice via either [....blah] I am not supposed to pay any tax for crossing Swiss or Austrian air space"

...And if you do it with your ULM from some friend's land to another friend's land (i.e. avoiding airports), you will have to pay no tax at all. This "wild" ULM ride can be directly compared to the cruise of a small sailing yacht from some wild bay to another wild bay through Greek waters. Unfortunately and contrary to the ULM or the private jet, this small yacht will be taxed for nothing more than "circulation" and "landing".

Peio

...And I forgot to add that you are right : if you keep your car in a garage in Zurich or Innsbruck, you have no "vignette" to pay. But if you keep your boat mooring in a marina (for example in Lefkas or Pythagorion), you will have to pay the tax as "circulating" yachts do (plus the "garage" and the 23% Greek VAT on the "garage", indeed !)

On the basis of your own comparison, do you realize now how much this tax is insane ?

Peio

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
if you keep your car in a garage in Zurich or Innsbruck, you have no "vignette" to pay.
To lay this absurd camparison to rest, the Swiss and Austrian vignette is for Autobahn (motorway) driving only. Plenty of residents in rural areas do not buy and display a vignette as they only drive on local (but still good) roads. There are also many cars circulating in towns and cities without a vignette because they do not use the Autobahn.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
...And I forgot to add that you are right : if you keep your car in a garage in Zurich or Innsbruck, you have no "vignette" to pay. But if you keep your boat mooring in a marina (for example in Lefkas or Pythagorion), you will have to pay the tax as "circulating" yachts do (plus the "garage" and the 23% Greek VAT on the "garage", indeed !)

On the basis of your own comparison, do you realize now how much this tax is insane ?

Peio

I happen to think it's far from insane. They have every right to raise taxes in any way they see fit. I keep my boat in Preveza, ashore so will only have to pay ( apparently ) for my time afloat. Unfortunately I only spend a few weeks afloat so will pay more than some very big boats on a week by week basis which is my objection.

You have every right as a visitor or potential visitor to a country to leave 'on principle' or leave because it is really uneconomical or just because you don't like the idea. One thing I'm certain of though is that telling a Greek, any Greek that his ideas are 'insane' will get you precisely nowhere!

I said it very early in the thread ( or on another ) that on a day by day basis just over €1 per day for the pleasure of sailing in Greece is a bargain and I certainly wouldn't object to paying it. I do object to paying €20 per day just because I only sail for a few weeks and can't pay for just that time.

truscott

Visit site
......I keep my boat in Preveza, ashore so will only have to pay ( apparently ) for my time afloat. ....

I'm sorry, where did you find this confirmed? Having been following this issue here, on the CA site and over on the Cruisers Forum, this has been posited by a few, but never, IIRC, confirmed!

Would make a HUGE difference for many boats if you would share this if it you have some official info. We have cancelled our move to Greece precisely because the Marina's that we were discussing this issue with, could/would not confirm that this is the case!

For now, we're staying in Turkey.

Cheers, PT

Edit: Apologies, I missed the "(apparently)" part even though it was staring me in the face! Please disregard.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
The law, as written, applies to boats in Greek waters, afloat, moored or anchored. Because there is no mention of boats ashore does not necessarily mean that boats ashore are also taxed.

Boats ashore include boats under construction, being repaired, being modified, being transported, being broken up, and deserted as wrecks. The two previous similar laws published (now replaced by this tax) excepted these categories specifically, and referred to boats "in use in Greek waters" instead.

There is no reason to believe that boats ashore will be taxed, other than a will to paint a blacker picture. In the same way, there is no reason to believe that patrol boats will flag down passing vessels en route through Greek waters to Turkey in order to break the rules of UNCLOS lll.

These are just means of venting anger to try to pull others into "the cause".

chrisgee

Visit site
boats ashore

The law, as written, applies to boats in Greek waters, afloat, moored or anchored. Because there is no mention of boats ashore does not necessarily mean that boats ashore are also taxed.

Boats ashore include boats under construction, being repaired, being modified, being transported, being broken up, and deserted as wrecks. The two previous similar laws published (now replaced by this tax) excepted these categories specifically, and referred to boats "in use in Greek waters" instead.

There is no reason to believe that boats ashore will be taxed, other than a will to paint a blacker picture. In the same way, there is no reason to believe that patrol boats will flag down passing vessels en route through Greek waters to Turkey in order to break the rules of UNCLOS lll.

These are just means of venting anger to try to pull others into "the cause".[/QUOTE

Thanks for all your info Jim, keep up the good work.
What I don`t get about the "ashore" conundrum is that the tax seems to be an annual one ,so if you pay in Feb/March/Apr/May etc you have paid for the year from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. What you do with boat during that time is up to you. Many boats are launched, used,taken out again, moored, used etc and the tax will have been PAID anyway. Are you suggesting that a boat out of the water now and not put in by Dec 31st will not have to pay the tax - that would seem fair to me. I have a friend in a yard in Preveza who will not be launching his boat at all this year who would be most upset to have to pay when he will not use his boat at all. Incidentally if anyone can find a cheaper ( and nicer place to sail than Greece) I would like to know where it is.

grumpygit

Visit site
Oh. I forgot, but I've just been reminded by Pleias.

A current option is to hand your papers to the port police, declaring the boat as "not in use". Effectively, the boat is in bond. This exempts you from taxes.

This is already the case, the PP should be notified before lift and before launch and this effectively puts the boat into bond. Other years I've alway done this myself but this year the paperwork was done by the yard and I paid them the fee and tax which I think was €9.88.

Peio64

Visit site
(...)

These are just means of venting anger to try to pull others into "the cause".

If I agree with point (1) ["there is no reason to beleive that boats ashore will be taxed"], I do not with point (2) because the absence of control by patrol boats would make the escape from the tax very easy for many boats if not the majority.
If I refer for example to my way to cruise Greek (and Turkish) Aegean waters every year (6 months/year), I spend only some nights in Greek harbours controled by port police. This year I can totally skip these visits and, in case of an unlikely control in some desert bay, I can say that I am "en route" to Turkey, thus not liable to pay the tax.

An other crucial area is the Corinth canal which is the most usual way for boats "en route" to Turkey or back to Italy. How to reach it without cruising (and mooring) in Greek waters ? Anyone controled in the Saronique or Patras gulfs can argue that he is "en route" to Turkey or Italy through this canal because his boat can not afford the turn of Peloponnese...

Peio

Dave100456

Visit site
Peio . . ". . Anyone controled in the Saronique or Patras gulfs can argue that he is "en route" to Turkey or Italy through this canal because his boat can not afford the turn of Peloponnese..."
I am no expert but I think you'll find that your right of innocent passage through a country's territorial waters does not include stopping unless for reasons of safe navigation and also you do not have the right to venture into inland waters which I'd have thought included the Corinth.
You can claim to have engine problems, etc as the reason why you have broken your passage, but the onus would be for you to prove this.
Dave