ICC Powerboat level 2 training

harvey38

Visit site
I tried Dover Sea School at Ramsgate, bloody hopeless communication. Yes, yes, we'll do Day Skipper practical with you, we'll be in touch, heard nothing. Phoned them a few months later, same response. Heard nothing since, that in itself speaks volumes!

Alicatt

Visit site
We, wife and I, used Scotsail in Largs, Howard was a very calm and collected instructor with good humour, he put me through the PB level2 and ICC also the VHF SRC now I'm studying the CEVINI regs for that exam to add to the ICC.

We used a Merry Fisher 725 with a Suzuki 150hp outboard, conditions on the first day were force 5 wind from the south west so a good chop in the Firth of Clyde, made docking interesting and the picking up of a mooring buoy was fun.

My wife had a few minutes behind the wheel of a sloop on the canals of Friesland 2 years ago, that was the sum total of her experience before doing the PB2 course, she took to it like a duck to water, her only problem was the language, as English is not her first language, " What do you mean by 'put it in neutral'? " :) but by the end of the course she was doing slaloms at 20+kts and docking like a pro.
Before the course she was asking how are we going to get our boat out of that tight berthing? Now she knows how to spring off, it has really improved he confidence.

ylop

Visit site
I can recommend Mendez on the Hamble. Having said that, the PB courses are aimed at users of RIBs and similar smaller dayboats. If you have a Mainship (as name suggests) then might look at Day Skipper (power).
The PB2 course can be undertaken in a variety of different craft (indeed the best schools would introduce you to some experience of multiple boats). Inevitable not all schools do that and approaches vary to the same syllabus so worth shopping round for the course that suits you. Day skipper is quite a leap from PB2. You can do PB2 with zero previous knowledge, but Dayskipper assumed previous experience and Dayskipper theory level knowledge (5 day theory course). There is an RYA helmsman’s course which is 2 days and may be an alternative to consider.

Alanij

Visit site
The PB2 course can be undertaken in a variety of different craft (indeed the best schools would introduce you to some experience of multiple boats). Inevitable not all schools do that and approaches vary to the same syllabus so worth shopping round for the course that suits you. Day skipper is quite a leap from PB2. You can do PB2 with zero previous knowledge, but Dayskipper assumed previous experience and Dayskipper theory level knowledge (5 day theory course). There is an RYA helmsman’s course which is 2 days and may be an alternative to consider.
Digressing a bit from the OP's question, and probably irrelevant to it, but I did have a minor issue a few years back while changing insurers for my boat (Antares 10.8). When asked for experience/qualifications I stated I had Day Skipper (theory and practical), the broker said that PB2 was required and that DS wasn't on his list of acceptable certification. He did get back to me a couple of hours later saying he had checked with the insurers, and they would accept my DS, but he still thought PB2 was at a higher level than Day Skipper (power).
I did the RYA helmsman when I bought my boat, and while it does cover the basics I don't feel anyone who has several years experience would gain much from it.

nortada

Visit site
Ref # 11. Wasn’t aware there is a Day Skipper (Power), I understood that PB2 is equal to DS (sail) but without all of the IRPCs purely relevant to sail (like port gives way to stbd).

capnsensible

Visit site
Ref # 11. Wasn’t aware there is a Day Skipper (Power), I understood that PB2 is equal to DS (sail) but without all of the IRPCs purely relevant to sail (like port gives way to stbd).
Power boat courses are for RHIB and similar style 'dayboats' if you like. The Day Skipper Motor practical courses are conducted on Motor Cruisers. (y)

Alanij

Visit site
There is, the certificate actually states "Motor Cruising - Day Skipper" rather than day skipper (power), and also states whether it covers tidal (mine) or non-tidal waters. The boat-based course is called Day Skipper Practical - Motor by the training centre I used. As far as I can remember the theory course doesn't differentiate between power and sail.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I know - it's the broker who was wrong.
Ah ok thanks, I misread it.

There is, the certificate actually states "Motor Cruising - Day Skipper" rather than day skipper (power), and also states whether it covers tidal (mine) or non-tidal waters. The boat-based course is called Day Skipper Practical - Motor by the training centre I used.
Not sure the tidal vs non-tidal distinction is still there is it? Thought the RYA controversially removed it some years ago. But happy to stand corrected!

Alanij

Visit site
Ah ok thanks, I misread it.

Not sure the tidal vs non-tidal distinction is still there is it? Thought the RYA controversially removed it some years ago. But happy to stand corrected!
It's on mine, issued in March 2017, but I don't know if they still have it on though.

Greg2

Visit site
True. Good point.

Think I’m right in saying that PB2 only gets you an ICC to 10m. If the OP has a bigger boat he’ll need DS Power to get an ICC to 24m

You can do ICC training and test on your own boat (assuming it is over 10m) to get the ICC for over 10m. I did that for both ICC power and sail i.e. dId power on our own boat and sail on a school yacht so have ICC for both power and sail up to 24m.

Other threads that may be of interest