ICC Powerboat level 2 training

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
You can do ICC training and test on your own boat (assuming it is over 10m) to get the ICC for over 10m. I did that for both ICC power and sail i.e. dId power on our own boat and sail on a school yacht so have ICC for both power and sail up to 24m.
Yes that’d be right. If you want Day Skipper as well then this doesn’t work. Or not directly anyway.

ylop

Visit site
Ref # 11. Wasn’t aware there is a Day Skipper (Power), I understood that PB2 is equal to DS (sail) but without all of the IRPCs purely relevant to sail (like port gives way to stbd).
You understood wrong. You may be confusing them because they are used as route to ICC but one is a 2 day course with no prior knowledge assume and one is a 5 day course with prior knowledge assumed too.
Power boat courses are for RHIB and similar style 'dayboats' if you like. The Day Skipper Motor practical courses are conducted on Motor Cruisers. (y)
Whilst powerboat courses are normally conducted on RHIBs they can be conducted on any power driven vessel the right size, and eg could include shaft drive or displacement craft rather than outboard/out drive and planing vessels. Certificates are endorsed accordingly.

I assume that Day Skipper power is like Day Skipper sail and has some minimum craft dimensions etc - but that wouldn’t actually exclude large planing ribs.

nortada

Visit site
You can get an ICC Power to 10m if you have DS Sail. But I don’t think they’re equivalent.
I did Day Skipper (Sail) long before PB2 but as I got PB2 to get a Safety Endorsement, could not convert my DS to PB2 but did the whole PB2 course, which lasted less than a day as was mainly practical. At the time I was a Yachtmaster and quickly became aware that I had greater knowledge of IRPCs, buoyage, shapes, tides, tidal currents, signals and navigation than my instructor/examiner but he was an impressive helm and a maritime police officer in the local maritime branch. Wanting to pass, I kept that well buttoned.

As a Yachtmaster (Practical), I never bothered with ICC until I ‘went foreign’.

My DS qualification was gained after a 5 day Comp Crew course and a 5 day DS course and although not as demanding as Coastal Skipper or YM courses in practical terms covered the whole YM theory syllabus.

As an aside, my CS assessment required greater boat handling skills close inshore and in confined spaces than the Yachtmaster Examination and was much more demanding. True all of the YM candidates were already coastal skippers. Even then 2 of the 4 failed on theoretical knowledge. There was no Coastal Yachtmaster then, nor were there any fast track Yachtmaster Instructor courses.

Working for a sailing establishment, I could issue the ICC, which did not compare to the DS or PB2. The ICC fore runner could be issued by any club officer, who may have had no sailing experience and was just produced to satisfy charterers and Jonny Foreigner.

Seem to recall DS qualified you to skipper in daylight in local known water. ‘Local known waters’ was not defined and as a DS, I frequently sailed in foreign waters in the dark. In power, night sailing didn’t happen so often as I could make the pub in daylight.

In my perception, this explosion in qualifications has done little to improve the skill set but why should it as it is all about money.

Last edited:

Sianna

Visit site
RYA motor cruising courses
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 09.14.38.png

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 09.14.52.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 09.14.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 09.14.38.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

nortada

Visit site

Nice piece of sales blurb.

Note Advanced Pilotage covers Coastal Skipper theory navigation, as the theory Coastal Skipper was combined with Yachtmaster (Offshore) it follows a successful Advanced Pilotage candidate must be able to navigate to YO standard and take a boat in to any harbour (worldwide) in day or night. Interesting‼️

ps My YM assessment required me to skipper a 34 yacht into St Marlo at night - it was my first visit to that coast. Exciting‼️

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
After booking and before we went for the PB2 we were given access to the Day Skipper theory on navigation, most of it I had already done for myself for piloting around the Pentland Firth and Caithness coasts.
What I found difficult was keeping my mouth shut and not trying to help my wife,
The instructor had spotted me almost taking over and he gave me a look, back on shore he commented on it, no problem as long as I kept quiet😳

capnsensible

Visit site
You understood wrong. You may be confusing them because they are used as route to ICC but one is a 2 day course with no prior knowledge assume and one is a 5 day course with prior knowledge assumed too.

Whilst powerboat courses are normally conducted on RHIBs they can be conducted on any power driven vessel the right size, and eg could include shaft drive or displacement craft rather than outboard/out drive and planing vessels. Certificates are endorsed accordingly.

I assume that Day Skipper power is like Day Skipper sail and has some minimum craft dimensions etc - but that wouldn’t actually exclude large planing ribs.
I've taught motor cruising courses on twin screw....cruisers. my shipmates teaching power boat courses generally used rhibs coz they bounce. I have coached a friend on his outboard powered dayboat....AMT 2000. We invested in fenders. He is good and I'm a fan of the boat. I use it now and then just for 25 knot fun!!