How useful are Binoculars ?

waynes world

Visit site
I seem to have got into a good subject here with so many replies. Just spent a time reading all replies, some being way over my head and price lol.
I have been thinking and reckon i should double the budget. The Bin`s are not needed untill next year anyway so T said she will buy me some boating clothes and sleeping bags for it for xmas.

Also ill look for local shop to go and try some out. I wear glasses and eye site is not the best so to try them would be better. good suggestion ;) ill tkae some of the suggestions in our budget to the shops to see if they have them in to look at.

Thanks all for the replies.

Draystone

Visit site
I seem to have got into a good subject here with so many replies. Just spent a time reading all replies, some being way over my head and price lol.
I have been thinking and reckon i should double the budget. The Bin`s are not needed untill next year anyway so T said she will buy me some boating clothes and sleeping bags for it for xmas.

Also ill look for local shop to go and try some out. I wear glasses and eye site is not the best so to try them would be better. good suggestion ;) ill tkae some of the suggestions in our budget to the shops to see if they have them in to look at.

If you are going to use them with specs, and someone else regularly uses them without specs. The you need an easy eye relief adjustment.

(Eye relief is the distance between the eye and the lens. The distance is often set by a foldback rubber cup or a rotational adjustment. With specs on, an extended cup will keep the lens too far away from the eye. Without specs you can hold the lens away from the eye but it is made much easier if you extend the cup.)

Gsailor

Visit site
7x50 and nitrogen filled with a compass.

A required piece of kit imho.

E.g. you know there should be a bouy “ right about there...” but naked eye cannot see it, but binoculars find it= sigh of relief.

WoodyP

Visit site
I crewed for a friend whose binoculars didn't show true colours. A bit of a nuisance trying to identify lights on a night watch. My own are invaluable for seeing stuff before you run into it.

Gsailor

Visit site

I may be selling my £200 Bins next year for £100.

Sleeping bag - go onto eBay and buy an army one - some are brand new, some are A grade. £20 or £30 will be equivalent to a £400 civilian one.

Go for the modern 3 modular system; a lightweight bag for jungle (only useful in UK for Summer) ignore it, but get the next one up - you won’t need the 3rd one up (Arctic use). They all fit into each other depending upon weather I think.

I bought mine from EBay - fabulous bag - previous was filled with feather down (heavy) modern ones have good man made fibres. I will be keeping it for camping trips, now boat is sold.

If you get a GoreTex bivvi bag you can literally float in it (I tested mine in the bath) - I won’t recommend it as a life raft, but it will allow your system to breath and if anyone lets a green wave inside, you will stay dry - they are also good for bundling gear in that you want to stay dry. £40 or £50 should buy you a new army one still in its wrapper. Cheaper if you go for A grade, but I don’t like bits of mud left over from soldiers’ use, so try to buy new.

Last edited:

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I have a Russian 7.50 pair bought many years ago from a market in Moscow, there was a lot of military equipment for sale... it during glasnost though - from memory about $20. Kept on board and getting distinctly battered, one eyepiece held on with tape and need new eyepiece rubbers. Also have a pair of 7x50 Pentax which are excellent, but usually kept at home.

Refueler

Visit site
I have a Russian 7.50 pair bought many years ago from a market in Moscow, there was a lot of military equipment for sale... it during glasnost though - from memory about $20. Kept on board and getting distinctly battered, one eyepiece held on with tape and need new eyepiece rubbers. Also have a pair of 7x50 Pentax which are excellent, but usually kept at home.

In those days - an AK47 was $50 .....

I have Russian Navy .... Russian Tank Commander - Officers hats ..... complete Russian Quartermasters Uniform with Mess Kit ..... but no AK47 - I declined that !!

KAM

Visit site
I bought some 7 x 50 with compass quite a few years ago from Lidl. I think they were less than £50. They are the generic Chinese made ones labelled "traveller" you still see them for sale with various different names. Seem well made and optical quality is fine and I really appreciate them at night. A bit of a problem when they went through a sticky phase but they are not sticky now. I'd love to know why. The compass finally packed up. The magnetic stuff seemed to be in powder form and eventually fell off the needle and started jamming it. It's on the winter repairs list. Should be quite challenging. Maybe someone out there knows of a source of spares.