Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The Greek ministries should have signed this mid January. However it is still not signed. I hope they are deadlocked- there were rumours that the Port Police were refusing as it was a significant work load increase.

Let's hope no news is good news

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Greek ministries should have signed this mid January. However it is still not signed. I hope they are deadlocked- there were rumours that the Port Police were refusing as it was a significant work load increase.

Let's hope no news is good news

Well chris , has you say, no news is good news , or it's not over till the fat lady sings or is it big lady theses days,
We may still all get another year yet.

ostra4

Visit site
Let's hope the same person responsible for the health and safety permits for all the kids playgroundson Lefkas/Megganissi is helping them sort the issues , they are still padlocked 15 months down the line , as we lol know Greek paperwork is a quagmire which looks like it will work to our advantage in this occasion

vasant

Visit site
looks same story as with the tax from previous government aka TPP which was voted but never implemented.
This is a nice showcase of the inefficiency of the Greek (banana) Republic. Law gets voted but if the implementation instructions are not sent its never active.....

Tranona

Visit site
looks same story as with the tax from previous government aka TPP which was voted but never implemented.
This is a nice showcase of the inefficiency of the Greek (banana) Republic. Law gets voted but if the implementation instructions are not sent its never active.....

Just like the drink/boating law in the UK then. Been on the statute books for years but never implemented.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

My understanding is that it is not inefficiency that is the sticking point. Nobody in Greece seems to want this, it is all being driven by people outside Greece. It is human nature that a bit of prevarication by the people who will have to do the work on the ground is inevitable. This may well delay or even halt implementation.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My understanding is that it is not inefficiency that is the sticking point. Nobody in Greece seems to want this, it is all being driven by people outside Greece. It is human nature that a bit of prevarication by the people who will have to do the work on the ground is inevitable. This may well delay or even halt implementation.
Fingers cross , wouldn't mind another years in Greece before we depart .

JFowler

Visit site
And me,especially as i am getting a bigger boat.

Dont get the CA involved they might help them to get it implemented lol

I think you’ll find that much of the information as opposed to speculation on this thread comes from the CA. They do a lot of good work both publicly and behind the scenes. They don’t ask for your thanks, but it not fair to criticise people who give up their time for all our benefit.

macd

Visit site
it not fair to criticise people who give up their time for all our benefit.

It most certainly is. Incompetence merits criticism whether paid-for or not. Well-meaning doesn't cut it.

However, I'm happy to applaud the efforts of Chris et al at the CA. Incompetent they're not, although dealing with an administration which may be is prone to give that impression.

An opinion. rtboss has another.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
It most certainly is. Incompetence merits criticism whether paid-for or not. Well-meaning doesn't cut it.

However, I'm happy to applaud the efforts of Chris et al at the CA. Incompetent they're not, although dealing with an administration which may be is prone to give that impression.

An opinion. rtboss has another.
I would go along with Mac's view. Incompetence should not be lauded at all.

However, our ability to extract the necessary information from the Greeks might be becoming a bit of a joke! (if not incompetence). Questions get asked - Answers come about something completely different or normally , not at all. reminiscent of a Monty Python sketch.

As we have loads of people out on the ground (that included all of you), we should be able to get the first signs of implementation and then get between us a view on how it will actually work. If they do it this year it will have to be very soon, otherwise going live in May would be just so bloody stupid,

I am due to ring my contact - I have to take pot luck as my contacts phone is rarely answered!.

EDIT: Response just in from the Greek Marina association: There is no news and there have been no more meetings with the ministry.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I think you’ll find that much of the information as opposed to speculation on this thread comes from the CA. They do a lot of good work both publicly and behind the scenes. They don’t ask for your thanks, but it not fair to criticise people who give up their time for all our benefit.

How sad! Did you not see the, lol.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA - Fines on DEKPA

[FONT=&quot]Fines are a requirement of the Law[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having talked to others and in particular the chairman of the Greek Marina's association, the Law sets out that fines WILL be imposed when a vessel is found not to have a valid DEKPA. Fines can be as much as €5,000 and as little as €500. The Law mentions no exceptions, bar one, which I am now researching - there is an "Out of Use" clause, but I think this will mean that you will have handed your vessel's papers in the Port Police or Customs - effectively putting the boat in Bond. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you know that you will be coming back late or missing a season, I think it would be sensible to follow the latter course of action.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As Goldie pointed out with his experience at Levkas - thankfully it just seems to be one Port Authority - Kalamata - that is enforcing this. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Although, some Port Police are stamping a renewal early, again the official view is that it must be renewed ON THE DAY it expires. The Ministry of Shipping say you can use an agent to do the renewal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are some good laws and there are some bad...... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Greece however is still the best place to sail![/FONT]

jordanbasset

Visit site

In the meantime in terms of advice I would try and get the DEKPA signed early if there is any chance you will be late back. The very worst that will happen is the Port Police will refuse and even then you could always try some where else. Personally I am aware of quite a few people who did get their DEKPA signed early without any problem and am not aware of any one who was refused. Does not mean it will not happen but it may mean a lot less worry over it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

In the meantime in terms of advice I would try and get the DEKPA signed early if there is any chance you will be late back. The very worst that will happen is the Port Police will refuse and even then you could always try some where else. Personally I am aware of quite a few people who did get their DEKPA signed early without any problem and am not aware of any one who was refused. Does not mean it will not happen but it may mean a lot less worry over it.

Hi N
we in Tunisia heading back to Malta in the morning hope C and you are well .
anyway going back to the matter in hand , there no doubt with what Chris as said , if we return we will just throw away our old DEKPA and buy new.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

As always the Greek Port Police vary in their interpretation and perhaps Zelousness. Good advice, though.