Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: Tepai entry instructions

OUT OF USE IN THE WATER.
Be very careful how you request this.
Asking for out of Use in the water cannot be done.
Instead say
"I am applying for exemption from paying the E-TEPAI whilst I am not using my yacht."

You then give them your DEKPA and ships registration papers to keep.

If you don't do this it will be lost in misunderstanding and you will be told you cannot.
Please add this to any Facebook groups adding of course it's advice from the CA.

I have just tried to apply for exemption at Gouvia Marina using exactly the form of words you advise. Blank incomprehension, even after a phone call to a superior - "We know nothing about this. You will need to visit a senior officer [Port Police] at the main port next week".

But I'm leaving today, that was the point. The yacht is being left afloat in the Marina.

What do you recommend? Should I stop paying TEPAI until I return, possibly next year, and hope no-one takes note? Should I waste around €330 continuing to pay while the yacht is out of use? Is there some responsible Greek official with whom I can negotiate from England?

Chris_Robb

Visit site

I have just tried to apply for exemption at Gouvia Marina using exactly the form of words you advise. Blank incomprehension, even after a phone call to a superior - "We know nothing about this. You will need to visit a senior officer [Port Police] at the main port next week".

But I'm leaving today, that was the point. The yacht is being left afloat in the Marina.

What do you recommend? Should I stop paying TEPAI until I return, possibly next year, and hope no-one takes note? Should I waste around €330 continuing to pay while the yacht is out of use? Is there some responsible Greek official with whom I can negotiate from England?

I have been trying to get clarification on this.... you could just have shown them the FAQ's which have it in Greek and English. - Thats why they were published FFS. But why should YOU have to police them?!

The Greeks have clammed up on me at the moment , presumably whilst a major reshuffle takes place - I will call them on Monday 29th July.

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site

I have been trying to get clarification on this.... you could just have shown them the FAQ's which have it in Greek and English. - Thats why they were published FFS. But why should YOU have to police them?!

Well, exactly. Thanks for your support.

It might be best if I wrote to Port Police at Gouvia to explain what happened and ask for exemption. But even if they accept my story, they will want my Registration Document and DEKPA which were offered at the time but are now left inaccessible on the yacht.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Well, exactly. Thanks for your support.

It might be best if I wrote to Port Police at Gouvia to explain what happened and ask for exemption. But even if they accept my story, they will want my Registration Document and DEKPA which were offered at the time but are now left inaccessible on the yacht.

Andrew - a predictable reply from Greece - you should go to the main Corfu Port Police to hand in documents...... Well, perhaps that might have been the conclusion you should have come to, but surely the PP in Gouvia should have told you this!

paulheywood

Visit site

Chris,
used your sticky notes to sort out my cruising tax with few issues. Emails from Aade came back straight away, Then paid by bank transfer and it was completed on Monday. Now got 'PAID' on my Tepai form.
Many, Many thanks for helping to sort it out

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Chris,
used your sticky notes to sort out my cruising tax with few issues. Emails from Aade came back straight away, Then paid by bank transfer and it was completed on Monday. Now got 'PAID' on my Tepai form.
Many, Many thanks for helping to sort it out

Glad it all worked OK

jordanbasset

Visit site

Went to get my DEKPA stamped yesterday will all my paperwork in hand, including an upto date tepai payment. The Port Police in Lefkas were very laid back and only wanted to see my Insurance certificate, nothing else. Interesting to know if that is the norm now

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Went to get my DEKPA stamped yesterday will all my paperwork in hand, including an upto date tepai payment. The Port Police in Lefkas were very laid back and only wanted to see my Insurance certificate, nothing else. Interesting to know if that is the norm now

As it is Greece, I expect that it is only normal for that particular policeman on that day in Levkas? :D:D

Seriously though, useful information and interesting to hear if others have had similar experiences elsewhere.

jonrarit

Visit site

Having read the "Out of Use" suggestions, my biggest concern was if I were to hand over the ships papers to the PP what were the chances of getting them back next season? So on the advice of a few locals and
boat owners there, we have decided to simply let the Tax lapse at the end of September....do nothing ... and simply pay the tax online again come May next year.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Having read the "Out of Use" suggestions, my biggest concern was if I were to hand over the ships papers to the PP what were the chances of getting them back next season? So on the advice of a few locals and
boat owners there, we have decided to simply let the Tax lapse at the end of September....do nothing ... and simply pay the tax online again come May next year.
You don't say if you are in or out of the water. If out you are doing what is laid down in law. If in the water you may have a seriously e pensive time when you come back.
Do not confuse the DEKPA regs with the E-tepai. The DEKPA must be validated annually in or out of the water. If out you can be put OUT OF USE. This is not the same as out of Use or exempt from the e-tepai point of view.

jordanbasset

Visit site

You don't say if you are in or out of the water. If out you are doing what is laid down in law. If in the water you may have a seriously e pensive time when you come back.
Do not confuse the DEKPA regs with the E-tepai. The DEKPA must be validated annually in or out of the water. If out you can be put OUT OF USE. This is not the same as out of Use or exempt from the e-tepai point of view.

Hi Chris, can I just confirm if the boat is on the hard you do not need a Tepai or to tell the Port Police it is out of the water - cheers

jonrarit

Visit site

You don't say if you are in or out of the water.

The boat is in the water Chris although she will be out for Jan/Feb/Mar. Yes I agree it is laid down in the law that I should submit the papers and declare out of use but my point is there is a single port policeman in Gouvia (very helpful too) but he doesn't have the facilities (or instruction) to retain ships papers. The boat is not going to be moving so who is going to check? Even if they wanted to check who are they going to ask as there is no one on the boat.

The DEKPA has just been renewed and the port policeman didn't even ask me if the tax had been paid or not he just stamped the DEKPA as per usual.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

The boat is in the water Chris although she will be out for Jan/Feb/Mar. Yes I agree it is laid down in the law that I should submit the papers and declare out of use but my point is there is a single port policeman in Gouvia (very helpful too) but he doesn't have the facilities (or instruction) to retain ships papers. The boat is not going to be moving so who is going to check? Even if they wanted to check who are they going to ask as there is no one on the boat.

The DEKPA has just been renewed and the port policeman didn't even ask me if the tax had been paid or not he just stamped the DEKPA as per usual.

I am really surprised that the marina has not sorted this. The PP at gouvia has no faculties to hold papers and you have to go to Corfu town PP.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

I am really surprised that the marina has not sorted this. The PP at gouvia has no faculties to hold papers and you have to go to Corfu town PP. Good luck. Let's hope they don't have s little Hitler on the next watch!

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Well I am having difficulties .The system says my password is incorrect although it is self generating .On clicking on reset password nothing happens? I tried a few time without success, only to get a page saying. This account blocked......I went to the bank and they said it's impossible to pay without 20 digit code .I the went to the KIP. And they said I needed an accountant. Help

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Well I am having difficulties .The system says my password is incorrect although it is self generating .On clicking on reset password nothing happens? I tried a few time without success, only to get a page saying. This account blocked......I went to the bank and they said it's impossible to pay without 20 digit code .I the went to the KIP. And they said I needed an accountant. Help

PM sent