EU countries allowing UK citizens to say over 90 days

st599

Visit site
Interestingly as an EU citizen travelling into the UK neither my wife's passport or mine was stamped or scanned just a quick visual face check against the passport photographs, so unless they are using electronic reckoning from carrier provided data I don't know how they are going to enforce any time limit.

Both the EU and UK are rolling out Biometric Scanners (face and fingerprints) in the future. EU this year, UK delayed but possibly next year.

Chris_Robb

Visit site

citybubble101

Visit site
In the mean time, UK citizens can only spend 90 days in the EU (!??) and tourist season is upon us… hmmmm..
Come on Greece .. Maybe do away with the whole ‘mask wearing when walking’ and showing a vaccination passport to go to a cafe..

greeny

Visit site
German daughter in law came into Manchester from Hamburg yesterday amid all the hullabaloo there. German passport. No stamp. She asked about the stamp and the man said he didn't need to, its all on the system????? So it sounds as if there is an electronic system of some sort already up and running. Or he's telling porkies and just couldn't be bothered.
My son who travels regularly the other way on his British passport (he is German resident) has to fight and argue every time, both in Holland and Germany to not get the stamp at those borders. Germany because he lives and is resident there, and Holland because he is in transit to Germany and not entering the country.

nortada

Visit site
In the mean time, UK citizens can only spend 90 days in the EU (!??) and tourist season is upon us… hmmmm..
Come on Greece .. Maybe do away with the whole ‘mask wearing when walking’ and showing a vaccination passport to go to a cafe..
The vast majority of tourists do want to/can’t spend 90 days in 180 in the EU so this is a niche problem for those few who do and will not attract general interest.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The vast majority of tourists do want to/can’t spend 90 days in 180 in the EU so this is a niche problem for those few who do and will not attract general interest.

Yup it's a meddle class well off retiree problem of no consequence to anyone other than themselves for which there won't be a lot of sympathy from the general population who have many other things to worry about.

Jegs

Visit site
Depends where you go. We usually visit France & it is my understanding that it is 90 in 180. So we have a weekend in France in February, starting the 90 days, which will then expire in August enabling a further 90 days in the next 180. If my understanding is correct, it's not a large problem if you live in much of southern England.

ATB,
John G

syvictoria

Visit site
Depends where you go. We usually visit France & it is my understanding that it is 90 in 180. So we have a weekend in France in February, starting the 90 days, which will then expire in August enabling a further 90 days in the next 180. If my understanding is correct, it's not a large problem if you live in much of southern England.

ATB,
John G

It's a rolling 90/180 and so I would strongly suggest that you check your plans against a Schengen visa calculator to ensure that you don't fall foul of the rules. There are plenty of calculators available via Google.

(Also, trains, buses and cars enable those who reside in the rest of the UK to reach Dover too!!!)

Last edited:

Hoolie

Visit site
It's a rolling 90/180 and so I would strongly suggest that you check your plans
Indeed it is, but it's not rocket science to see how you stand. Look back over the last 180 days and count how many have been in Schengen. If it's approaching 90 it's time to be thinking of going home. If you're in the UK see how many days you have left of your 90 to check your forthcoming visit is permissible.

greeny

Visit site
Indeed it is, but it's not rocket science to see how you stand. Look back over the last 180 days and count how many have been in Schengen. If it's approaching 90 it's time to be thinking of going home. If you're in the UK see how many days you have left of your 90 to check your forthcoming visit is permissible.
I agree its not rocket science. And you can work it out in your head. But the more visits you make and the number of times you travel back and forth can make it a more complex calculation. This is where the online calculators make it much easier to keep track. If your lifestyle means multiple trips back and forth then I would hazard a guess that you would soon be using a calculator for ease. Why would you spend your time working it all out manually. The calculation is not always simple and the numbers change every day if you "commute" a lot.

dgadee

Visit site
Yup it's a meddle class well off retiree problem of no consequence to anyone other than themselves for which there won't be a lot of sympathy from the general population who have many other things to worry about.

Maybe there's a lot of retirees and maybe they tend to spend much longer than 2 weeks on holiday even if they spend less per day than younger travellers. Maybe the loss of money cascading into the coffers of tourist economies will hurry them up to offer lengthier travel.

The question is certainly of current interest in the EU: Tourism trends and ageing - Statistics Explained

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Yup it's a meddle class well off retiree problem of no consequence
Far from it! - I used to work seasons in the French Alps as a qualified Mountain Guide and I am sure the same is still true (or would be if they could) for many young (and not so young) British professionals in many different capacities. The rules will affect them profoundly even to the extent of restricting their ability to earn a livelihood. The situation we have now is a total mess - well and we all know why don't we....

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Far from it! - I used to work seasons in the French Alps as a qualified Mountain Guide and I am sure the same is still true (or would be if they could) for many young (and not so young) British professionals in many different capacities. The rules will affect them profoundly even to the extent of restricting their ability to earn a livelihood. The situation we have now is a total mess - well and we all know why don't we....

Not really if you wish to work and the work is available then it's possible to apply for a visa but seasonal work for the very limited few that would like to do it is likely to be limited. It was always quite difficult in any case at least in the area you mention.

st599

Visit site
Not really if you wish to work and the work is available then it's possible to apply for a visa but seasonal work for the very limited few that would like to do it is likely to be limited. It was always quite difficult in any case at least in the area you mention.

Only if the country allows UK citizens work visas in that industry. I don't think France allows tourist industry work visas, but you'll have to check the massive table in the back of the Withdrawal agreement. For some industries in some countries, you can only get the Visa if you commute in every day, in others, you can only get the Visa if you prove there are no EU citizens who could do the job. etc. etc.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Only if the country allows work visas in that industry. I don't think France allows tourist industry work visas, but you'll have to check the massive table in the back of the Withdrawal agreement.

Yes they always made it more than a little difficult in that area because a lot of locals rely on that employment and it was all perfectly legal within the EU regulations when the UK was a member.

Jegs

Visit site
It's a rolling 90/180 and so I would strongly suggest that you check your plans against a Schengen visa calculator to ensure that you don't fall foul of the rules. There are plenty of calculators available via Google.

(Also, trains, buses and cars enable those who reside in the rest of the UK to reach Dover too!!!)
Thank you very much for that. My reference to the south simply meant it was less trouble because of the distance.

ATB,
John G

Other threads that may be of interest